Exchange Server Issue S4 Google Edition

Liamman

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone having an issue with their S4 Google Edition connecting to an exchange server? My Nexus 4 (and regular S4) connect fine with my work exchange server but for some reason, the Google Edition S4 will not connect. The error I am getting is that I do not have the correct security on my device. That is not true because the regular S4 corrects fine to the same exchange server. Encryption works fine on the Google Edition S4 but the device will not sync or allow the exchange server to essentially enable a "device administrator" for the Google Edition S4.

My fear is that something was left out of the code/tweak of 4.2.2 for the Google Edition S4. I was wondering if anyone else is having any issues getting device administrator or an exchange server activated on their device.

Thanks.

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
No mine is fine on exchange. Did you get that extra popup to activate extra security where you have to hit OK?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 2

Liamman

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
No. I cannot even get the exchange server to ask me to "activate" the extra security. The error message (after entering in my information) says that the device does not have the necessary security. I have talked with my IT people and we are perplexed by it.

It is like the device does want to communicate with the server to show what version of android it is running. I have factory reset the device (twice) and it still does not allow me to start the process of connecting it to the exchange server. I can use Touchdown but I like the stock android email app. As noted, my nexus 4 (and regular S4) works fine Hmmm?

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No. I cannot even get the exchange server to ask me to "activate" the extra security. The error message (after entering in my information) says that the device does not have the necessary security. I have talked with my IT people and we are perplexed by it.

It is like the device does want to communicate with the server to show what version of android it is running. I have factory reset the device (twice) and it still does not allow me to start the process of connecting it to the exchange server. I can use Touchdown but I like the stock android email app. As noted, my nexus 4 (and regular S4) works fine Hmmm?

Are you rooted? I know rooting can remove security features

Liamman

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I am not. As I mentioned in my initial post, I wonder if something has been removed (unintentionally) by Samsung/Google when the software was tweaked for the S4 hardware

Literally, opened the box yesterday and tried to set up my exchange account and nothing. I was able to encrypt the device (on my own w/o being prompted by the exchange server) hoping that would trigger a security setting but it did not work. I factory reset the device a few times and still nothing on the exchange side of things.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I am not. As I mentioned in my initial post, I wonder if something has been removed (unintentionally) by Samsung/Google when the software was tweaked for the S4 hardware

Literally, opened the box yesterday and tried to set up my exchange account and nothing. I was able to encrypt the device (on my own w/o being prompted by the exchange server) hoping that would trigger a security setting but it did not work. I factory reset the device a few times and still nothing on the exchange side of things.

from the few thread about the google edition phones, it seems like some are having issues that others are not. From LTE to issues you are describing.

jsabo

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I had similar issues getting a Pre on our network back in the day. Things to try:
1- Do you have a PIN set on the phone? This was a big one.
2- Did you load the Google Device Policy app? This might allow you to change some settings to make Exchange happy. Being able to whack the whole device if it was stolen was another critical setting.
3- I had to manually import the cert chains for our Exchange server to make the phone happy

Liamman

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I have contacted Google directly. I am not sure if it will lead to a resolution--I am hopeful though. I do worry that because these device may be a bit of a niche device it may not get resolved. That said, with the releae of 4.3 around the corner maybe there will be a tweak to the Google Edition software.

cdd543

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Sucks man sorry. I'm having an issue with eap enterprise WiFi that is a known issue with 4.2.2 stock Google. I'm also hoping 4.3 remedies it.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 2

TrivialTweeter

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is what's causing your issue, but worth a shot.

Are you by any chance part of a Domain Administrators security group within your Exchange organization? If you are, you'll have to change a setting on your account within ActiveDirectory to activate an ActiveSync device. In Active Directory, locate and open your User Account and click on the "Security" tab, then "Advanced" and check the "Include inheritable permissions from this obect's parent". Click on "OK" then try to activate your device. Hope that helps.

I don't believe this is an issue with 4.2.2, since I'm currently connected to my Exchange server on my Galaxy Nexus that's running 4.2.2. I'd look into the issue above.

Liamman

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Those settings are already applied on ActiveDirectory. Not sure what is going on. I have no issues using 4.2.2 on my Nexus 4 and regular S4 with the exchange server. It is only happening on the Google Edition S4. It is as though the device is not communicating the security features of 4.2.2 to the server.

Again, thanks for all of the help.

Angelo Frigo

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I had trouble getting through but solved it by encrypting. I see that you said encryption works fine but thought I'd mention it. Other phones have prompted me to encrypt and set a pin but this one did not. I'm running GPE 4.3 on a i337.