Face Recognition not working well since Android 11 update

poit57

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else had this issue? I got the Android 11 update about 2 weeks ago on my S20, and since then, I've noticed that face recognition often says that my face doesn't match or it appears to not even attempt to scan my face (just shows a lock icon under the camera with no indication that it is scanning for face recognition).

I've tried deleting and re-registering my face several times. There doesn't appear to be any issues with that process, and actually completes much quicker than other family members' iPhones. Face recognition to unlock my phone definitely performing worse on my phone than it did with Android 10. It still recognizes me and unlocks the phone sometimes, but it was about a 90-95% success rate at unlocking my phone the first try on Android 10 where it's about a 20% success rate of recognizing me and unlocking the phone on the first try under Android 11. Sometimes, it fails to recognize me several times in a row (under good lighting) until I am requred to enter my PIN to unlock the phone.

Last edited:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually for me I've had the exact opposite experience. Face recognition has been faster than ever and catches me more often than I sometimes want it to. I don't think I did but you could try "alternative look". So set one up in a bright shinny place and the other in a dimmer lit area. That way it has a range. It's like adding the same finger to the fingerprint set.

puppy59

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Same here, face unlock much better, even the finger print scanner is a bit better
Actually for me I've had the exact opposite experience. Face recognition has been faster than ever and catches me more often than I sometimes want it to. I don't think I did but you could try "alternative look". So set one up in a bright shinny place and the other in a dimmer lit area. That way it has a range. It's like adding the same finger to the fingerprint set.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Face recognition has gotten much worse for me since the 11 update.

Be sure to take advantage of the Alternate Look option and add your face a second time.

I would add one in low to average light and one in excellent lighting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sherrymae34