Facial Recognition Annoyance - Turn off?

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
When I use facial recognition to unlock an app, after my face is recognized, and before I can go into the app, I get a screen that is showing a message: "Verified. Tap confirm to continue". I am trying to get rid of that message and avoid the unnecessary extra step to press the confirm button before I can access the app. I am told by an app manufactured that it is a setting on my Samsung S22 Ultra with Android 12. But I cannot find it. Can someone direct me to the setting to turn off that extra step after facial recognition works? Thanks!

Last edited:

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Settings Question

I posted a question in the Android 12 forum that now seems like it is a phone specific issue and probably should have been posted here since I have an S22 Ultra. Instead of duplicating the explanation and question here in the S22 thread, here is a link. If anyone with this phone has figured it out, I would love direction on how to fix it over in that thread. Thanks.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...cognition-annoyance-turn-off.html#post7046794

SpaceyO

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Settings, "Biometrics and security"
Tap Face Recognition at top of page, enter PIN
Make sure "Stay on Lock screen until swipe" isn't selected.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Settings, "Biometrics and security"
Tap Face Recognition at top of page, enter PIN
Make sure "Stay on Lock screen until swipe" isn't selected.

Thanks but that does not do it. That was the thing that seemed like it to me also. But it is already off. I toggled it again just to be sure and restarted the phone and the behavior continues. The setting to turn off that "Verified. Tap Confirm to continue" must be somewhere else. I can't find it though. :(

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks but that does not do it. That was the thing that seemed like it to me also. But it is already off. I toggled it again just to be sure and restarted the phone and the behavior continues. The setting to turn off that "Verified. Tap Confirm to continue" must be somewhere else. I can't find it though. :(
I have the same thing happening especially with my Signal app. I don't think there's a phone setting to change it . I would thunk it would be an app setting but its also doing it in my bank app.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the same thing happening especially with my Signal app. I don't think there's a phone setting to change it . I would thunk it would be an app setting but its also doing it in my bank app.

One of the apps I use is Roboform. I contacted them and they said they get the question a lot but that it is not in their app settings. They said it was for sure in the phone settings. But they could not help because they said where in the settings it is varies from phone to phone and from one Android version to another.

The visual appearance of the message also looks like it is a system message and not in the apps.

I have been waiting to set up my fingerprint until tomorrow when my screen protector arrives because I figure it best to do it with the screen protector in place, hoping the reader will work ok. (rather than setting up the fingerprint and then putting on the protector). It will be interesting to see if this redundant 2nd step also pops up with the fingerprint biometric or if it is just with the face recognition.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
This is what I see on my car app.. I press the fingerprint and then it goes in
61a7daac38909b5abfd674bfd5fe4ef9.jpg

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
OK. So maybe this message making you press a button only happens with face recognition. On my phone, if I choose "Face" instead of "Fingerprint", I get a popup that requires me to press a "Confirm" button before I can proceed. It is a bit annoying as, if my face has been recognized, why can't the phone just let the app open. You know, like when you unlock the phone. When your face unlocks the phone, there is not a required step after that to press a confirm button. Your face is recognized, and the phone just opens.

Last edited:

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
One of the apps I use is Roboform. I contacted them and they said they get the question a lot but that it is not in their app settings. They said it was for sure in the phone settings. But they could not help because they said where in the settings it is varies from phone to phone and from one Android version to another.

The visual appearance of the message also looks like it is a system message and not in the apps.

I have been waiting to set up my fingerprint until tomorrow when my screen protector arrives because I figure it best to do it with the screen protector in place, hoping the reader will work ok. (rather than setting up the fingerprint and then putting on the protector). It will be interesting to see if this redundant 2nd step also pops up with the fingerprint biometric or if it is just with the face recognition.
When using the fingerprint scanner it doesn't ask for a confirmation.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The Signal app is the app that's requiring confirmation. Out of curiosity is that the same app you're having the confirmation notice come up?

No. I saw it in a couple of apps yesterday when I was trying as bunch of new apps from the playstore. But I only had those on the phone for a couple of minutes and don't remember what they were. The one I am sure does it is RoboForm. I have had that for years but before this phone I did not have facial recognition. Roboform gives the 2nd, redundant confirmation every time. But RF texh support insists it is not a setting in RF, but that it is some setting on the phone. I thought I could test it out with my banking app but that seems only to allow fingerprint sign in, not face.

Maybe I will explore what Signal is. If it looks safe, I can install it temporarily just to see if I get the same exact thing in that app. If it does, and looks exactly like the prompt screen in Roboform, that would seem to indicate that it is a system message and not within the app.

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If it helps, here is a shot of the message as it looks within Roboorm. That pops up after my face is verified and forces you to tap the confirm button to continue to the app. Is it the same that you are seeing in Signal?

Prompt after face umlock.png

Attachments

• Prompt after face umlock.png
    Prompt after face umlock.png
    444.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Tonight, I saw the exact same message within a health/vaccination record app. So Roboform support was correct, it is a system message, not from the app. But I suppose some apps could just call up the system message when you are trying to open them. So either there is a setting somewhere to turn it off, or there is not. I wish I could figure out what it is called as that would make it easier to track down if it can be controlled.

Last edited:

Will_T

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I believe this is related to what I found out in another thread about unlocking Google Pay. Some Apps or Institutions believe face recognition is not as secure as PIN or Fingerprint. So if you use face to unlock your phone to use one of those apps that do not allow face, you then need to tap confirm in some apps or use fingerprint or PIN in some other apps.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe