Fingerprint lock question.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the question. The fingerprint does unlock the phone, I'm not sure what secondary lock screen you are referring to
He is referring to the actual screen lock that is still required.
It's more or less a back up. From messing around with it, I can't seem to find a way to enable to fingerprint lock with out the back up screen lock.
At the end of the day though, you shouldn't ever see your screen lock if you are using the fingerprint scanner....so it really shouldn't be in the way ever....

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Exactly! Seems very unnecessary to make you use 2 methods of unlocking your phone.

It's a backup. When setting up fingerprint security it asks for another option in case the fingerprint doesn't read. Also the other method of security is always needed when the phone is restarted.

cydewaze

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
On mine, it's fingerprint only unless you reboot it, in which case you need a secondary method (like PW/PIN) to unlock. Probably what the OP means.

therealasd

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
The reasoning behind this is the fingerprint unlocks straight to the home screen because only you have your fingerprint. It bypasses everything.

If you swipe to unlock, you must enter the secondary security method, PIN or pattern, etc. It's a fail-safe. I do not see a method to eliminate the secondary lock method, but as previously posted, if you use the fingerprint scanner, the phone shouldn't prompt for the other method except right after a reboot.

mmcclure0453

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
The reasoning behind this is the fingerprint unlocks straight to the home screen because only you have your fingerprint. It bypasses everything.

If you swipe to unlock, you must enter the secondary security method, PIN or pattern, etc. It's a fail-safe. I do not see a method to eliminate the secondary lock method, but as previously posted, if you use the fingerprint scanner, the phone shouldn't prompt for the other method except right after a reboot.

Well explained. The only time mine asks for my PIN during the day is if I do a reboot. The rest of the day is fingerprint only to unlock.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
For those so inclined to take up this argument, supposedly the police can force you to put your finger on the fingerprint, but they can't force you to enter your password. Just say you don't remember or that you forgot

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes, family member has galaxy s7, I asked him why he's using the pattern lock and not the finger scanner, told me when finger scanner is unsure it loads secondary security measures

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I think it's a good thing to have u know just in case u get your finger chopped off or something.

That's how people get into your phone and steal your privacy. They chop off your finger and now they have your fingerprint ID to get into all of your secure locations.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, it's just there incase your finger print doesn't read, which i guess could happen, and then how would you get into your phone? I am not understanding why it's an issue, since you don't have to use a pin or a pattern. Maybe I am missing something? I use my pattern when my phone is setting on my desk, so sometimes I wish the fingerplace scanner was in the front.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
That's how people get into your phone and steal your privacy. They chop off your finger and now they have your fingerprint ID to get into all of your secure locations.

No, but it is surprisingly simple to take a person's fingerprint (for example from an arrest record, background check, or latent print) and 3D print it for a mold to cast an artificial finger with your fingerprint.

This is a round about explanation to judicial rulings that the police can make you fingerprint unlock your phone. The police are entitled to fingerprint you for booking or identification. Your fingerprints are not protected in that sense. (I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice).

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
No, but it is surprisingly simple to take a person's fingerprint (for example from an arrest record, background check, or latent print) and 3D print it for a mold to cast an artificial finger with your fingerprint.

This is a round about explanation to judicial rulings that the police can make you fingerprint unlock your phone. The police are entitled to fingerprint you for booking or identification. Your fingerprints are not protected in that sense. (I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice).

That's also the reason why it requires a password entered for the first login after a reboot. Police can't access it without knowing the password.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trexgameaz