Fire Phone - Bargain or Not?

xorozu

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I've posted elsewhere regarding my hunt for a Android bargain!

I'm transition from a 6+ (iPhone) and want a smaller, more nimble device that is healthy on my wallet. The Fire Phone seems like a great deal on paper with fantastic specs and I'm assuming with a bit of playing I can get the play store and stuff on it.

Would you recommend the fire phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
No. The phone is a flop that didn't sell - Amazon just wrote off a couple hundred million dollars and admitted as much.
If you want a bargain on a great phone, look at the Moto G. AC has just posted their review on the new model - last years is probably discounted even more.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
KCAndroid is correct. If you don't want any hassles and want a good solid phone at an affordable price, the Moto G is a great choice..

However, if you are comfortable with rooting and roming, the Fire Phone is much more usable, since CyanogenMod was ported to it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...really-fire-phone-better-without-fire-os.html

Fire OS by itself was irritating and very frustrating for me, since I am so used to doing things according to most other android phones. However, CyanogenMod does a pretty good job at getting rid of the bloat and Fire OS, turning it into a very capable device with standard android controls.

The camera is a little flaky, but I rarely take significant pictures, so I don't care. In fact, the developer has removed the Amazon camera completely. Google Camera, from the Play Store works pretty well. With that said, the hardware is nice and is better than most bargain phones.

It's funny, because I stripped off Fire OS and added CyanogenMOD, and was never a Prime Member previously. Now, I have a cheap and capable android phone and am discovering the benefits of Prime. Amazon is still making money off me.

Last edited:

bruce73

May 10, 2013
Visit site
If you're an Amazon Prime member, you can pick up a new Fire phone on eBay with warranty and 1 yr. of Prime for $125, so you're basically getting a new Fire phone for $26. Hard to beat that.

Sent from my Note 5 via Tapatalk

mz32quick

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
If you're an Amazon Prime member, you can pick up a new Fire phone on eBay with warranty and 1 yr. of Prime for $125, so you're basically getting a new Fire phone for $26. Hard to beat that.

Sent from my Note 5 via Tapatalk

That's what I did, picked it up for basically $25 as my Prime was coming up due anyways. I actually really like the phone, both the hardware and the software. Now, the OS takes quite a bit of getting used to but it's not horrible. Using the Amazon App store is a letdown at times as you are limited but you can load Google Play Store on there.

I also have the Moto G as my primary phone and the Amazon is snappier and a better screen. The camera is night and day better on the Fire phone as well IMO. I've had the Moto G for a while and it's been a great phone, especially at the price point I purchased it for so no bones to pick with it at all.

I've got a nano SIM card on order and will unlock the Fire phone and see how it does then too. Will be interesting. For $25 I think it's a great deal.

hor_shu

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I got the same deal. 1yr prime and phone $129 +/-. Actually like the phone for what I use it for. And battery life doubles if you turn off the Dynamic Perspective 3D viewing.

Posted via the Android Central App