First Smart Phone, First Thread

NevetsDrassel

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
As indicated, this is my first smartphone. I came into the 21st century after living the life in the dark ages. I refer to my old phone as a "dumb phone" but it has gone the way of the DO-DO Bird. If you are interested, it was an LG CU720 Shine (flip up). I now have the LG G2 from AT&T so I am in the right forum.

Anyways, got the Quick Window case. It was available from Verizion in both their on-line and brick & mortar stores. A hefty price for the case but if you buy the display protectors (3 pack $3.00 off), and smart auto charger with dual output ($9.99 off), you get a discount from $49.99 to $40 for the cover. The entire package cost $69.99 instead of the individual price of $92.97. I also have the AT&T Body Glove at a cost of $35.00.

My take on the cases?

The Body Glove offers better protection if you drop your phone but it is slick and easy to drop your phone. If you do drop your phone (I have not), it appears that the gel lining will protect it from severe shock. Of course, dropping it from a table and off the side of a skyscraper are two totally different things. It offers nothing to protect the screen even if the screen is made of Gorilla Glass 2 or 3 or whatever depending on which review you read or site you visit.

The Quick Window case, while expensive, does a good job of protecting the screen of the phone. It does not have the gel insert for shock prevention but that is a plus because the case is not thick like the Body Glove. The minus is if you drop the phone, there is that much less protection. The only issue that I have with the Verizion model cover with my AT&T G2 is that it does not have a opening for the noise reduction mic. There is not one for the Verizion phone either. Not a problem for me. A quick measurement and a small sharp drill will make the necessary hole for the noise reduction mic. The other issue is that you can not use the Proximity Sensor that allows "bring the phone to your ear to answer" the phone. You have to move the Icon in the Quick Window to answer the phone. So, there is no cut out for the sensor that operates this feature. There is also no cut out for the front facing camera. Another thing that I noticed is that if you put the phone in your pants pocket, you will get a buildup of dust around the Quick Window opening and when you open the cover to the phone, you will instinctively want to wipe the dust off the screen. Bad habits are hard to break. I also suspect that after awhile the material use to flip the cover over will eventually fail and start to rip or shred or whatever.

All in all, they both have their pluses and minuses. I still have not decided which one I will keep but my phone is currently in the Quick Window case. I will say that the Quick Window case is not for the rough and tough guys and gals out there though.

As far as the phone is concerned, it was a giant leap to go from what I had to what I have. I like it but can not offer any comparisons to other phones as this is the first smart phone that I have ever owned. The with has a Moto X that she just got a couple of days ago so I will be able to compare the G2 to that once I get a change to play with her phone. That will not happen for awhile though. I really do like my LG G2. I had decided it would be either the G2 or the HTC One. I really would have like to handle the Experia Z1 but based on the early reviews, I decided that I did not want to wait. The Samsung G4 was an early contender but was the first to be dropped by me from consideration.

Considering that I was going with another 2 year contract, it was very easy to go with the G2 due to the new Snapdragon 800 processor. Considering both the wife and I were upgrading to Smart Phones, the money saved by doing the 2 year contract was a no brainer.I was initially concerned about the limited 32GB of storage, but I can always transfer stuff from my desktop to the phone rather easily so it was not really an issue. I did download the LG PC Suite and it will do what I need it to do with ease, mainly transfer music, pictures, and videos.

So as I become smarter with my smart phone, I may have a different take. But for right now, it was a good decision to go with the LG G2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choll