First Thoughts / Impressions

trulaker9

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Droid Inc owner that just switched to the Maxx because of.......you guessed it battery life. Anyway, while configuring the phone, i had trouble using the email app to add my email accounts. I was getting "invalid credentials" errors whenever I tried logging in to ANY email service (yahoo, hotmail, etc). Has anyone else experienced this? (Note: when I downloaded Yahoo's email app, I was able to login just fine)

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Looking forward to these reviews....im currently using a nexus and had a razr but returned it when the maxx was announced. Loved the razr but hated the battery life

jbair2

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Returned a Nexus yesterday for the MAXX, very impressed. Great phone, I went 7 hours on the battery with a new phone, with very heavy use and had 85% battery left when I plugged it in for the night. Screen is awesome, the phone just feels well built compaired to the cheap design of the Nexus! Thank you Mororola for a well rounded unit!!!!!!!!!

lapeter

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Some people work for companies that get a discount on phones and accessories. My daughter, on family plan, works for such a company. I just paid $249 for the Maxx because of discount. This may have happened to your GF's family.

little story about today...

It seems I'm living vicariously through my gf right now. She was due for an upgrade on her family plan and I conveniently talked her into this phone (she is coming form an incredible with awful batter life). she was working this morning and I was free so I had a chance to run over to the Verizon store with her mom to pick a Maxx up for her. We had stopped in a few days earlier to inquire and then called tuesday to hold one- which I am sure had nothing to do with what happened at check-out...So they bring the phone out, and I picked out a silicone case, grabbed the car dock, and some clear screen protectors--because it was buy 3 get 20% off.

What came next was totally unexpected. the sales rep helping us said that there were verizon company reps at the store today and they were going to come over and speak with us. they never did but when the lady checked us out the TOTAL came to $281.xx!!

Now Im no dummy, but we had about $380 worth of equipment on the check-out counter, so in lieu of a possible mistake I just kept my mouth shut for a few seconds...After the transaction was complete I softly made a comment about the price and the lady said it was because we were the first customers to purchase the maxx, then chuckled and said that wasn't really the reason. The verizon rep then came over and offered us some free swag (water bottle, mouse pad, and lunch cooler). They never told us why we got such a good price- the same price as was being advertised on some 3rd party sites I believe. anyhow, it was a nice surprise and the phone so far is AWESOME.

I will post an update on batter life and camera performance as these seem to be the two most asked questions about the phone!

ebarr727

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know the answer, but while at VZ picking up my new Maxx, I looked at the desk dock that was there with a OG DRazr and it seems as if the Maxx will fit because the thickness at the top of the phone should be exactly the same as with the OG DRazr. It's the rest of it that is slightly thicker. Just my impression.

anon(30235)

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know the answer, but while at VZ picking up my new Maxx, I looked at the desk dock that was there with a OG DRazr and it seems as if the Maxx will fit because the thickness at the top of the phone should be exactly the same as with the OG DRazr. It's the rest of it that is slightly thicker. Just my impression.

Actually, the HD dock is the same for the RAZR and the RAZR Maxx. The Maxx comes with a snap-on adapter for a slightly better fit.

vmorgs

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Droid Inc owner that just switched to the Maxx because of.......you guessed it battery life. Anyway, while configuring the phone, i had trouble using the email app to add my email accounts. I was getting "invalid credentials" errors whenever I tried logging in to ANY email service (yahoo, hotmail, etc). Has anyone else experienced this? (Note: when I downloaded Yahoo's email app, I was able to login just fine)

I too experienced this when I tried to use the built in Gmail app to add an e-mail account I have through Google Apps. Rather than search for a fix though, I just gave up since it's not my primary e-mail address and I use it so infrequently.

vmorgs

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Question... The Maxx was advertised as having 16GB internal memory with an additional 16GB on the SD Card. When I go into "Storage" in the Settings menu, it only shows 8GB of internal memory with a little over 2GB available for apps. What gives? The OS and pre-installed bloatware can't be taking up 8 GB of space so where's the rest of my internal memory? Or, am I missing something?

radioboy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
little story about today...

It seems I'm living vicariously through my gf right now. She was due for an upgrade on her family plan and I conveniently talked her into this phone (she is coming form an incredible with awful batter life). she was working this morning and I was free so I had a chance to run over to the Verizon store with her mom to pick a Maxx up for her. We had stopped in a few days earlier to inquire and then called tuesday to hold one- which I am sure had nothing to do with what happened at check-out...So they bring the phone out, and I picked out a silicone case, grabbed the car dock, and some clear screen protectors--because it was buy 3 get 20% off.

What came next was totally unexpected. the sales rep helping us said that there were verizon company reps at the store today and they were going to come over and speak with us. they never did but when the lady checked us out the TOTAL came to $281.xx!!

Now Im no dummy, but we had about $380 worth of equipment on the check-out counter, so in lieu of a possible mistake I just kept my mouth shut for a few seconds...After the transaction was complete I softly made a comment about the price and the lady said it was because we were the first customers to purchase the maxx, then chuckled and said that wasn't really the reason. The verizon rep then came over and offered us some free swag (water bottle, mouse pad, and lunch cooler). They never told us why we got such a good price- the same price as was being advertised on some 3rd party sites I believe. anyhow, it was a nice surprise and the phone so far is AWESOME.

I will post an update on batter life and camera performance as these seem to be the two most asked questions about the phone!

Is the car dock the same one they're selling for the RAZR or is it a MAXX-specific one?

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Question... The Maxx was advertised as having 16GB internal memory with an additional 16GB on the SD Card. When I go into "Storage" in the Settings menu, it only shows 8GB of internal memory with a little over 2GB available for apps. What gives? The OS and pre-installed bloatware can't be taking up 8 GB of space so where's the rest of my internal memory? Or, am I missing something?

I saw the same thing and according to some of the specs that I've seen, at least 11GB of internal storage is supposed to be useable. Maybe the OS is misreading the storage space? The phone is beautiful, although it's a big sucker, even in the custom shell hoster that Verizon sells (very thin though). I do have an immediate concern about the battery. I fully charged it last night with the phone off. It was at 100% when I turned the phone on at 6 AM. It's now 11:25 AM and with less than the lightest use (no calls or web browsing, some weather checks with BEWeather and Weather Bug and taking two pictures), and a 2 bar 4G signal, the battery is down to 80%. The display power saver is on as well. I'm hoping that this is only a "first time out on the road" thing but we'll see.

vmorgs

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I saw the same thing and according to some of the specs that I've seen, at least 11GB of internal storage is supposed to be useable. Maybe the OS is misreading the storage space? The phone is beautiful, although it's a big sucker, even in the custom shell hoster that Verizon sells (very thin though). I do have an immediate concern about the battery. I fully charged it last night with the phone off. It was at 100% when I turned the phone on at 6 AM. It's now 11:25 AM and with less than the lightest use (no calls or web browsing, some weather checks with BEWeather and Weather Bug and taking two pictures), and a 2 bar 4G signal, the battery is down to 80%. The display power saver is on as well. I'm hoping that this is only a "first time out on the road" thing but we'll see.

Well 8 GB plus 2ish GB is about 11 GB but that still doesn't explain where the other 5GB went. As for your battery issue, that's odd. I fully charged mine last night too and since 8 AM this morning I've been using Spotify non-stop. It's now 2:30 and my battery is only at 60%. Not bad for heaving streaming music use IMHO. Maybe it's just your phone? Or maybe there's other stuff running in the background? If it keeps up, see if you can exchange it.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

4% per hour loss with LTE on doesn't seem bad to me? I'm definitely keeping an eye on the battery reports....this might bring me back from the iPhone.

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
4% per hour loss with LTE on doesn't seem bad to me? I'm definitely keeping an eye on the battery reports....this might bring me back from the iPhone.

But that's with almost no activity. I'm shuddering at the thought of a few calls and some texting and browsing.

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
This is from Laptop Magazine:
Although much faster than their 3G competitors, 4G LTE phones have suffered from notoriously short battery life. How short? Try less than four hours in some cases. Fortunately, Motorola?s new Droid RAZR Maxx is set to change the LTE?s power-gulping reputation, as the Android handset lasted a full 8 hours and 25 minutes on the LAPTOP Battery Test. This test involves continuous surfing over 4G with the phone set to 40 percent brightness

It sure would indicate great battery life while pounding the 4G signal to the max. Guess I'll have to monitor what other Maxx users are getting.

SuperJETT

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Super fast on LTE, the 'right' thickness (RAZR was too thin IMO, couldn't hold it that well), and so far the battery rules.

So far...and it makes my DX seem ancient.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
When going into standby mode, I prefer to use "Screen Off and Lock" rather than using the power button. It's convenient, and helps on putting less wear and tear on my power button.
The app, and similar apps I've tried, work well on my Incredible and Thunderbolt.
However, it didn't work well on the Bionic, which I returned. It would take me to Motorola's lock screen rather than turning the screen off. Other apps were able to turn the screen off, but there was a 5-7 second delay. The app developers said it was no way around it, because Motorola would not give them a code of some sort that was needed to replace their lock screen.
Can anyone test to see if it works for the Maxx.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
i have one for all of you. It might make some of you sick. My dad is a VZ customer who is grandfathered in on unlimited data. He was not eligable for upgrade until the middle of this year, i forget exactly when. He called to complain about his droid x malfunctioning. They told him he has been targeted by VZ to recieve early upgrade. He ordered a moto razr over the phone and called to tell me. I then told him that he did not order the maxx and it was going to be available on the 26th. He called VZ back and cancelled the razr order, as he was gonna wait for the maxx to come out in a day. So he goes into a VZ store and gets his maxx and they try to sell him the awesome navigation dock and and other accessories. He then goes to pay and his grand total for razr maxx and $100 vehicle dock navi kit and HD dock is $120 AFTER TAXES for everything. I saw the reciept. Total savings of $631. I am not kidding. I wonder what discount he got. Anyone get a better deal?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatJimmy