Flash 4.1 yakju over 4.0.4 yakjuxw

MrFlipnote

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Can I just normally flash a 4.1 Jelly Bean yakju on my 4.0.4 yakjuxw Galaxy Nexus (GSM, SIM-lock free, no unlocked bootloader and not rooted), will this cause any trouble, or is it simply not possible? If I have to do anything special for it, could you please tell me what that exactly is as well?

I know it's possible to somehow change a yakjuxw to a yakju on 4.0.4, but it's so much work and I'm afraid that I do something wrong and I suddenly can't use my phone anymore. So I thought it might be handy if I could immediately flash from 4.0.4 yakjuxw to 4.1 yakju...

(sorry if this is a stupid question, I've bought my Nexus just 3 weeks ago)
and, sorry for my terrible English!

googol

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you are hesitant to run some commands in terminal, it will be much easier for you to just wait for the over the air update. If you are eager to get Jellybean on your phone, you can follow step by step instructions that can be found in the forums.

If you are able to get the factory images for 4.1 from https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images, you should be able to flash directly, but here are some caveats.

1. You have to be very comfortable using the command line.
2. You have to unlock the bootloader, which will wipe all data. No root is required for any of this.
3. You will need to download the Android SDK, which will get you adb and fastboot that are required to run the commands to flash factory images into the GNex.

I don't have links to the step by step instructions handy, but let me know what OS you are running on your computer, and if you are willing to run some commands in terminal, I can dig up the instructions and help you with any problems.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Android Central Forums

Reactions: le_prof

googol

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When you flash the factory images, you are basically converting it into a yakju or takju variant. Everything gets overwritten including radio, system, ...

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
When you flash the factory images, you are basically converting it into a yakju or takju variant. Everything gets overwritten including radio, system, ...

Yes if you're flashing complete factory images, which also wipes the device and starts you from scratch, you'll turn into a "takju" or "yakju" device.

If you're just trying to flash an update file, you can't mix yakju and yakjuxw.

yuanliao_2003

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Mine is also yakju**, too bad:(
does any body know when samsung would start to roll out the JB OTA? is that possible in august? if is, i think i can live with that.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know from where I can get the Jelly Bean 4.1.1 factory image for my Google Galaxy Nexus?

I checked on
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
however, they do not have Jelly Bean for GNex :(

I would appreciate any help...

It's not there yet. But you can flash the takju image and it will update itself to 4.1. Probably within a few minutes of first booting the phone.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
It's not there yet. But you can flash the takju image and it will update itself to 4.1. Probably within a few minutes of first booting the phone.

This is 100% true. The past number of weeks I've been bouncing between __Awesome__'s Jelly Bean ROM, and AOKP's b40 ICS ROM. Today I decided (just for kicks) to unroot, reload Yakju 4.0.4 -- basically to see what stock ICS felt like after running ROMs, and also to see IF I'd get the update, and how long it would take.

I think it took about 5 minutes before I was notified of the upgrade to Jelly Bean.

When I first unlocked the boot loader and rooted, I used Wugg's Toolkit (I think). The hardest part (and believe me it frustrated me) was finding drivers that worked properly. Once that was done, the rest was VERY easy.

Although it is somewhat "cheating" by using a program, I find it was a good way to get into rooting and running custom ROMs before learning to do it through terminal/command prompt.

best of luck, hope we can help you more!

MrFlipnote

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all SO much! I'm so sorry for the delayed answer, but after I read the first few tips, I immediately began messing with my phone, the temptation was too high! Haha, but afterwards I kind of completely forgot about this thread...

But I really appreciated it :) Thank you all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod