Flash Stock Recovery to Apply OTA updates?

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a stock rooted S3 with CMW. I keep getting OTA update notifications and they are really starting to bug me. When I try to update using these OTA updates I get an error message that says: "E: failed to verify whole-file signature/ E:signature verification failed...."

I'm not interested in flashing ROMs or doing anything custom with my phone, I just want the root for an ad blocker, titanium backup, and some tasker privileges. I just want to receive and apply OTA updates when they arrive on my phone. I think I'm pretty behind with updates, I think I'm on LJ7. I attached a link with a picture of my phone information for someone who is more knowledgeable to verify. https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1u5eacoqf2hldh/2013-06-09%2010.38.53.png

I have heard that, in order to apply OTA updates, you just need to have stock recovery and it will work. My first question: Is this true?
I tried to download the stock recovery file from Freeza's thread [ROM|Stock Rooted] 4/24/13 Sprint TouchWiz Jelly Bean 4.1.2 (L710VPBMD4) Odex/DeOdex - xda-developers and his server is down (and has been down for about a week).

If this is the fix, I want to do it today if possible. Does anyone have another copy of his stock recovery file, or if that's not the solution, what do I need to do to be able to apply the OTA updates when they get pushed through?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not 100% positive on how you go about receiving the OTA update but it's normally rule of thumb that once you root and install a custom recovery you remove yourself from receiving OTA updates.

Sure on many devices you can do as you said and restore the stock recovery or using a certain technique use the custom recovery to install the " official OTA zip file " to update but the process is usually drawn out and not always a guarantee. Plus you mentioned wanting root for a few things, if you were able to install the stock recovery and receive the OTA successfully it will most likely remove root access and you would have to go thru the process again of installing your custom recovery, flashing superuser, etc to regain root.

So you might be best off making any backups that are important to you data speaking, restore back to stock (unroot), receive the OTA officially under stock then do your rooting process once your on the latest and greatest or grab a very stockish custom ROM based on the newest update. I know you mentioned not interested in flashing a custom ROM but that is one option and usually you can find a 100% stock version of the official update as a custom ROM.

Just some options and things to think about..

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a stock rooted S3 with CMW. I keep getting OTA update notifications and they are really starting to bug me. When I try to update using these OTA updates I get an error message that says: "E: failed to verify whole-file signature/ E:signature verification failed...."

I'm not interested in flashing ROMs or doing anything custom with my phone, I just want the root for an ad blocker, titanium backup, and some tasker privileges. I just want to receive and apply OTA updates when they arrive on my phone. I think I'm pretty behind with updates, I think I'm on LJ7. I attached a link with a picture of my phone information for someone who is more knowledgeable to verify. https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1u5eacoqf2hldh/2013-06-09 10.38.53.png

I have heard that, in order to apply OTA updates, you just need to have stock recovery and it will work. My first question: Is this true?
I tried to download the stock recovery file from Freeza's thread [ROM|Stock Rooted] 4/24/13 Sprint TouchWiz Jelly Bean 4.1.2 (L710VPBMD4) Odex/DeOdex - xda-developers and his server is down (and has been down for about a week).

If this is the fix, I want to do it today if possible. Does anyone have another copy of his stock recovery file, or if that's not the solution, what do I need to do to be able to apply the OTA updates when they get pushed through?

Follow seanskiT1's advice to update your device. Here is a piece of missing information. Once you became rooted, you cannot accept any more OTA updates. The update looks for root access and then doesn't install. There have been some occasions where accepting an OTA will break root access, and sometimes bricking the device. Once you root, the ability to update falls upon you.

In order to accept an OTA update you need to unroot. Some superuser programs allow for a temporary unroot, but I have heard of those failing more often than succeeding.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not 100% positive on how you go about receiving the OTA update but it's normally rule of thumb that once you root and install a custom recovery you remove yourself from receiving OTA updates.

Sure on many devices you can do as you said and restore the stock recovery or using a certain technique use the custom recovery to install the " official OTA zip file " to update but the process is usually drawn out and not always a guarantee. Plus you mentioned wanting root for a few things, if you were able to install the stock recovery and receive the OTA successfully it will most likely remove root access and you would have to go thru the process again of installing your custom recovery, flashing superuser, etc to regain root.

So you might be best off making any backups that are important to you data speaking, restore back to stock (unroot), receive the OTA officially under stock then do your rooting process once your on the latest and greatest or grab a very stockish custom ROM based on the newest update. I know you mentioned not interested in flashing a custom ROM but that is one option and usually you can find a 100% stock version of the official update as a custom ROM.

Just some options and things to think about..

Thank you for your reply! If I have to keep updating my phone via zip files, then I don't want to receive the OTA updates, but they keep showing up. The only way I can get them to go away is to accept it, let it fail, and then reboot. It stays away for a few days, and then it shows up again. That was what prompted me to ask if I could just accept these OTA updates and be done with it. To me, that would be much easier, as I usually have to set aside half of my day to research and update my phone. Also, I thought if you used "root keeper" in the play store, you could temporarily unroot, install OTA updates, and then it will reroot for you.

ireknole

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Go to this thread.

Your way to update to MD4 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Since you are stock rooted with CWM you need to use the instructions in post #2.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked

Thank you! I had actually been on that post periodically in the past few days, but the links to download the firmware have been down every time I tried to download. It seems they are back up now, so I'm downloading the firmware. I guess as long as I remain rooted, I'll have to keep going to a forum if I want to update.

seanskiT1

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! I had actually been on that post periodically in the past few days, but the links to download the firmware have been down every time I tried to download. It seems they are back up now, so I'm downloading the firmware. I guess as long as I remain rooted, I'll have to keep going to a forum if I want to update.

Yeah you will. I personally don't mind. The ability to do more with my phone is worth than the OTA's. But it is a small drawback.

sent from my GS3 running Wicked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab07