Flip? Fold? Flop?

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thought I was interested in the Flip 4. That is until I have already heard of two hinges breaking. Plus I realized I would never have it closed. No SD, less battery and a cool flipping thing that takes me back to my Motorola Star Tac. Nope.

Played with the Fold. Speaking of Motorola, this is the 21st century version of the Motorola Brick. Jesus, what a loaf. I ask them bluntly who in the world was buying this thing. The answer? Gamers. Two employees said there's zero reason to own a Fold 4 unless you are a hard core gamer.

Which turned my gaze over to the S22 Ultra. Basically our Note 20 Ultra with an improved camera array. They tout better battery life but user experience isn't showing that to be the case.
No SD card, I'd need a different case and I CAN get 800 bucks for the Note 20 but that still leaves a 450 dollar expense. Best Buy gives you 800 dollars up front and the 450 plus tax is cash. (unlocked) Verizon gives me 800 toward a VZW branded 22 Ultra, spread out over 36 months at zero interest

After weighing all the options, I bought a new mouse pad and went home with my Note 20 jamming away with Android Auto and still had 400 in my pocket.

Let's see what NEXT year holds.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Thought I was interested in the Flip 4. That is until I have already heard of two hinges breaking. Plus I realized I would never have it closed. No SD, less battery and a cool flipping thing that takes me back to my Motorola Star Tac. Nope.

Played with the Fold. Speaking of Motorola, this is the 21st century version of the Motorola Brick. Jesus, what a loaf. I ask them bluntly who in the world was buying this thing. The answer? Gamers. Two employees said there's zero reason to own a Fold 4 unless you are a hard core gamer.

Which turned my gaze over to the S22 Ultra. Basically our Note 20 Ultra with an improved camera array. They tout better battery life but user experience isn't showing that to be the case.
No SD card, I'd need a different case and I CAN get 800 bucks for the Note 20 but that still leaves a 450 dollar expense. Best Buy gives you 800 dollars up front and the 450 plus tax is cash. (unlocked) Verizon gives me 800 toward a VZW branded 22 Ultra, spread out over 36 months at zero interest

After weighing all the options, I bought a new mouse pad and went home with my Note 20 jamming away with Android Auto and still had 400 in my pocket.

Well stay with the typical candy bar style phone. I can tell you one thing. The Fold 4 ain't no Motorola. They gave me 900 for my Note Ultra on trade to upgrade to the Fold 4. So far I love this thing. Especially unfolded. Lost no features from my Note.

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Well stay with the typical candy bar style phone. I can tell you one thing. The Fold 4 ain't no Motorola. They gave me 900 for my Note Ultra on trade to upgrade to the Fold 4. So far I love this thing. Especially unfolded. Lost no features from my Note.
Glad you like it

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering how these would be selling without the crazy trade in prices.

FACTagent

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

One could argue the integrated S-Pen with its remote control features is a lost feature compared with the Galaxy Note, but I'm getting a Fold 4 anyway

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

The camera difference between S22 ultra and Note 20 ultra is actually huge...I own both...so I can vouch for it...I click lots of pics and videos for my wife who is a influencer And loves the pictures and videos from S22 ultra compared to Note 20u
Now selling my Note 20u to get fold 4
I generally upgrade every 2 years...
U should upgrade as per your needs

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

That is largely my reasoning. I really like the concept of the Fold. I don't believe they have it just right. In the meanwhile, the s22 seems like a step down with no SD card. I don't need any of its supposed improvements. My note 20 ultra does everything I want as perfectly as I want. I don't see why I should toss it.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That is largely my reasoning. I really like the concept of the Fold. I don't believe they have it just right. In the meanwhile, the s22 seems like a step down with no SD card. I don't need any of its supposed improvements. My note 20 ultra does everything I want as perfectly as I want. I don't see why I should toss it.

Samsung hates logic like that lol.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Samsung hates logic like that lol.

No doubt. As the prices keep soaring, I suspect more and more people will lose that lust for the newest model that doesn't really do anything much more special. We have been saying things like that for years as improvements become more incremental, and we've often retreated into another wave of lust-driven upgrades when new models come out. :) But I think that future of "not necessary" is now.

Eventually, you are forced into upgrading for one reason or another (6g anyone?), but not at the pace many of us have been keeping over the years. That, of course, is why they are so interested in pushing things like the Fold. It's different, so it may attract an entire new audience that no longer applies traditional "when to upgrade" rules for more mature device styles. But I'm not ready for Fold and I'm not losing my SD card until I have to.

Last edited:

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
No doubt. As the prices keep soaring, I suspect more and more people will lose that lust for the newest model that doesn't really do anything much more special. We have been saying things like that for years as improvements become more incremental, and we've often retreated into another wave of lust-driven upgrades when new models come out. :) But I think that future of "not necessary" is now.

Eventually, you are forced into upgrading for one reason or another (6g anyone?), but not at the pace many of us have been keeping over the years. That, of course, is why they are so interested in pushing things like the Fold. It's different, so it may attract an entire new audience that no longer applies traditional "when to upgrade" rules for more mature device styles. But I'm not ready for Fold and I'm not losing my SD card until I have to.

I used to upgrade every year, still rocking the Note 20U because I have zero need to upgrade. Screen has some scratches, I've dropped it numerous times so it looks a bit beat up, but I get all day battery life still and it performs well.

I just bought a Jayco travel trailer so I have a weekend get away for less than the cost of some of these new phones. Both cars in my drive way cost me less than a new Fold 4. I rebuilt my gaming PC and bought a gaming laptop for less than the cost of a Fold 4. I would like to own a Fold 4 and play with new tech but there are much better ways to spend the money IMO.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

My take on life, try something new and enjoy life. We all do things differently and think differently, is that mean a wrong choice? You do things because you can. Simplicity approach things are just that.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
...Thought I was the only one hanging on to the N20U. Was really thinking I'd trade "up" to one of those new fangled flippers but alas logic slapped me upside the head when I realized it's not really a trade up at all. I"m about sure the N20U will be my last Samsung device. Last time I had a non-Samsung device was a nokia or HTC something. Remember HTC? First Android was the HTC Dream on T-Mobile. Still have one around here someplace. First app I loaded was Shop Savvy! {We older peoples surely do get off track} Anyway, I've used only Samsung phones since the original Note device...

HTCDream.JPG

Can't see paying more for less.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Everyone has something they're spending on. If it's not this it's something else. I say enjoy life. I loved my Note 20 Ultra, but when they offered me 900 for it I made the move. Loving this Fold 4. The screen real estate is unreal.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I really want a foldable device someday, but I guess I worry about the crease in the screen. Does the SPen get caught in it when using it? I know there are reviews that answer probably every question, but it still makes me nervous.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I really want a foldable device someday, but I guess I worry about the crease in the screen. Does the SPen get caught in it when using it? I know there are reviews that answer probably every question, but it still makes me nervous.
I was like you before getting into Fold devices , dont worry about it.
The spen is made for the device so you wont feel the crease with it , fingers u will but after some time it's not noticeable.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It does look amazing with all that screen real estate, but I'm just not sure. Maybe I'll hold off until the Fold 5 or 6.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe