For those that have done it, is it worth replacing the battery, or... ?

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
So I am now apparently part of the "MXPE failing battery" club as my phone now is not holding a charge through the day, or perhaps more importantly, it THINKS it isn't holding a charge. I have had it randomly shut off on me, only to plug it in and turn it on to show 40% battery.

This of course is causing me to charge the phone at least one additional time, sometimes 2 (or 3 on a heavy day) more times. Searching through here I see a lot of other people are beginning to or have had issues with their MXPE holding a charge and have gone with a replacement battery.

Earlier this year I already had the screen replaced, and now I am wondering for those that have had the replacement battery done, did you feel it was money well spent or should I just cut the losses and begin the quest for a replacement phone? (Thinking 1+ 6T, or maybe Moto Z3, though nothing is really "grabbing me")

Thoughts? Guessing price of battery and cost to have it installed to ensure I don't screw it up could go towards a newer phone. Just fit and finish I love the MXPE.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So I am now apparently part of the "MXPE failing battery" club as my phone now is not holding a charge through the day, or perhaps more importantly, it THINKS it isn't holding a charge. I have had it randomly shut off on me, only to plug it in and turn it on to show 40% battery.

This of course is causing me to charge the phone at least one additional time, sometimes 2 (or 3 on a heavy day) more times. Searching through here I see a lot of other people are beginning to or have had issues with their MXPE holding a charge and have gone with a replacement battery.

Earlier this year I already had the screen replaced, and now I am wondering for those that have had the replacement battery done, did you feel it was money well spent or should I just cut the losses and begin the quest for a replacement phone? (Thinking 1+ 6T, or maybe Moto Z3, though nothing is really "grabbing me")

Thoughts? Guessing price of battery and cost to have it installed to ensure I don't screw it up could go towards a newer phone. Just fit and finish I love the MXPE.
Just an FYI... There is now an "official" battery self replacement kit available from iFixIt, authorized by Moto with an OEM battery. This is new, Moto just partnered with iFixIt for a whole bunch of different self fix kits.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Moto-X-Pure-Edition-Replacement-Battery/IF391-002

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I went to a cellphone fixit shop. They ordered a battery and installed it for $75. I don't know what make or model battery. After the install, my phone is only marginally better. In hindsight not worth it. I have the accubattery app. My old battery was reading as 1400ma capacity vs the 3000ma original capacity. My new battery is showing 2100ma of 3000. I seem to be charging it the same which is multiple times daily. Same as before. On another thread, one guy's theory was the Motorola pure batteries, even OEM have been sitting now for 3 years plus, therefore one was unlikely to find any usable replacement battery.

All I know is I'm probably getting a new LG v30 as soon as I can.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I recently purchased an og pixel for half price, brand new sealed in the box, and I was wondering what almost 2 years of sitting would do to the battery..... it still had a surprisingly large amount of charge in it, and the battery life is awesome. So I'm not sure how much just sitting will really affect a new battery that's never been put into use.

mr.fabe

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I replaced the battery on my Moto X Pure and it was working very well. There are many cheap fakes that have lower capacities so you should choose your replacement carefully if you decide to go that route. I stopped carrying a spare charger battery pack.

Ultimately, I ended up buying a new Moto X2 Force at a very low price (<$200) and really haven't looked back since. Great power, memory, battery life, Oreo, and the Moto Mod options. I was actually waiting for an X5 or X3 Force that never was released...

You should decide on what your next phone is and get it. If the phone you want hasn't been released yet and your current MXPE is working fine, the battery change option may be a good one to hold you over for up to a year when your new model is released.

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I went to a local shop and they put in a new battery for $40 total. I just got an LG V40 but wanted to keep the Moto for a back up or for use in situations where I wouldn't want my new phone endangered. I should throw my sim back in the Moto and use it for a couple of days to try it out under real life use but Accubattery shows the estimated capacity of the new battery as 3,071 mAh and it's been in standby mode for a little over 24 hours and used by my daughter for a little over an hour screen time and it's still at 44% charge.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I went to a local shop and they put in a new battery for $40 total. I just got an LG V40 but wanted to keep the Moto for a back up or for use in situations where I wouldn't want my new phone endangered. I should throw my sim back in the Moto and use it for a couple of days to try it out under real life use but Accubattery shows the estimated capacity of the new battery as 3,071 mAh and it's been in standby mode for a little over 24 hours and used by my daughter for a little over an hour screen time and it's still at 44% charge.
Lots better than my 2100ma estimated capacity on accubattery