Forcing the Max into 3G?

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to force the Maxx into 3G (CDMA)? At my cottage the 3G signal is stronger than the 4G that goes in and out.

Posted via Android Central App

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to force the Maxx into 3G (CDMA)? At my cottage the 3G signal is stronger than the 4G that goes in and out.

Do a search for 4G toggle on the Play Store. No guarantee it will work on the Maxx.

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
This may or may not work, I just know it from stock JB/ICS. Settings, under wireless & network choose more, mobile networks, network mode then chose CDMA without LTE.

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
This may or may not work, I just know it from stock JB/ICS. Settings, under wireless & network choose more, mobile networks, network mode then chose CDMA without LTE.

it doesn't have that mode. it has cdma/lte, gsm, and something else, international IIRC

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Take a screen shot. CDMA would be what you want. But sounds like it may not be an option. Could find an app or maybe a tasker profile

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Take a screen shot. CDMA would be what you want. But sounds like it may not be an option. Could find an app or maybe a tasker profile

guess i wasn't clear. i have the phone. i know what you're talking about, and how it worked on my old phone. BUT here there are only 3 options where CDMA used to be:

1. Global
2. LTE/CDMA
3. GSM/UMTS

So, you can't force it into CDMA that way.

Chiplg

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
guess i wasn't clear. i have the phone. i know what you're talking about, and how it worked on my old phone. BUT here there are only 3 options where CDMA used to be:

1. Global
2. LTE/CDMA
3. GSM/UMTS

So, you can't force it into CDMA that way.

I remember that was a similar problem with the RAZR and some other phones, which is why a few apps were made. They just are not 100% successful it seems.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The was an app called 4g on/off that worked on the original razrs. It was made for the thunderbolt but worked fine on Motorola. Haven't tried it on my new maxx

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The was an app called 4g on/off that worked on the original razrs. It was made for the thunderbolt but worked fine on Motorola. Haven't tried it on my new maxx

For the record it's called LTE OnOff and play store mentions that it was designed for the HTC thunderbolt, but I just tried it on my ATT moto x and it worked! Someone should test on droid ultra, maxx or mini and report back!

PS for the record, * #*#4636#*#* didn't work on my moto x either, but the LTE OnOff app worked like a charm.

Sent from my XT1058

mjhubbard

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that the thunderbolt app mentioned above worked for me. The first time I tried it, it did not work. The second time I tried it, I tried it while actively logged into a WiFi network then turned WiFi off. I am writing this post now on forced 3g. I don't know if WiFi was a factor or just luck. More testing is needed.the 4g on fort hood is jam packed so I'll be testing from time to time.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I put 4g instead of LTE lol... Thats not the first time I've done that.

It worked well on my original RAZR maxx.. I used it because 4g LTE was not in my area yet.

I have really good 4G LTE service in my area now so I haven't put it on this one.

Good luck to you

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have another related question. My Maxx default was set to option 1, global. Is that the best way to leave it or should I change it to option 2, LTE/CDMA? What are the differences?