Free USB tether?

chaosrecords

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I rooted and use the wifi tether app from market which is free. works on 3g.

The one built into the phone is for if you have the 30.00 tethering plan.
Havent had a need for it because i have a MIFI.

PWBarrett

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok - It looks like 3g USB tethering no longer works, although 4g works like a champ.

My office network is pitifully slow - I can 4g tether on USB and get about 5x the speed.
It charges the phone rather than running the battery down fast, so you can stay tethered as long as you want.

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted but am not satisfied with the WiFi tethering solultions currently available...they all tend to give me crappy connections that disconnect between 5-10 minutes after connecting.

What I want, basically, is a freeware version of Easy Tether or PDAnet. There probably isn't one available or I'd have found it by now (I've been looking...)

Anyone have one to recommend?

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Just pony up the dough for EasyTether. It's well worth the 10 bucks.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk

OnePalmAddict

Addicted 2 Mobile Gadgets
Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Just pony up the dough for EasyTether. It's well worth the 10 bucks.

Ditto. $10 one time for unlimited tethering at pretty reasonable speeds is just about the best deal in the Android world. And if you don't need to access secure sites, the free version is fully functional.

ME

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted but am not satisfied with the WiFi tethering solultions currently available...they all tend to give me crappy connections that disconnect between 5-10 minutes after connecting.

What I want, basically, is a freeware version of Easy Tether or PDAnet. There probably isn't one available or I'd have found it by now (I've been looking...)

Anyone have one to recommend?

If you're rooted, flash a custom ROM that has the Sprint Hotspot. It hosts an infrastructure mode hotspot (not ad-hoc mode like the wireless tether app). Really stable. And the extras from a custom ROM you can consider gravy.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
so what rom has the sprint hotspot?

the last one i used a while back didn't have 4g. so i ditched it. and i don't remember what it was.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If you're rooted, flash a custom ROM that has the Sprint Hotspot. It hosts an infrastructure mode hotspot (not ad-hoc mode like the wireless tether app). Really stable. And the extras from a custom ROM you can consider gravy.
I have Wireless Tether (for root users) running in infrastructure mode just fine. Have been since I got it after rooting last September.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have been using PDAnet and now the trial ran out. It costs like $20 but I figure there has to be a free option. Can I root it or something and somehow get it to USB tether? I know there is a way to get the 3g wireless tether but I just need USB tethering for now. Any ideas?

If you want to go with a physical tethering would just pay the $20 for the no ad version. I have it and it works well. Also, PDAnet is faster than some of the other solutions.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
If you want to go with a physical tethering would just pay the $20 for the no ad version. I have it and it works well. Also, PDAnet is faster than some of the other solutions.

EasyTether is only $10 and gives faster speeds than PDANet. (At least for me it does)

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk