Front screen thoughts...

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Having the previews of messages on my front screen has really changed how I engage with my cellphone.
I don't have a smart watch and don't want one, right now. Maybe one day. IDK.
But right now, this is a perfect solution for me.
I love how I can see previews of the messages or alerts and swipe em away and go on with my day. If I want to address them, I open it up and reply right then.
I can scroll right to the music and operate it from there, and then check the weather. Then pop it back in my pants pocket where it's barely noticed now.
All without the need to deal with the phone.

In short, I seem to have more control over what I, ME, want to do with my phone instead of having to do what IT wants.

Some complain that they want to answer texts and so forth from that outside screen. I don't want that. Opening it to answer a text is not a big deal. But I really love how I can get a glimpse of what's going on and keep moving without having to just get all in my phone's business.

The size of the front screen is perfect to me. Can't really think of anything else I'd like for it to do.
Maybe have a cool cat .gif instead of that stupid cartoon. Apparantly there is a way to do that but IDK how.

ANYWHO...
This phone is making me really happy.
Can't imagine lugging my Note 10 around now.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I like having the outside screen as well, but having a smart watch it isn't as useful as it could be for me. Guess it's also good if I don't feel like wearing my watch. Kind of wish it was as big as the screen on the razr though. Guess you can't have everything exactly how you want. Still a great phone despite the external screen size.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That sounds like a really convenient and innovative setup! Makes you know whether or not you need to answer/use your phone right away!

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
That sounds like a really convenient and innovative setup! Makes you know whether or not you need to answer/use your phone right away!

EGGGGGACTLY!
Truth is that you can do all of that with a normal phone, yes, but it's just better to be able to do it on a device that is folded in half. Somehow that smaller footprint, at least to me ,makes it less demading that I tend to those messages and so forth.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
EGGGGGACTLY!
Truth is that you can do all of that with a normal phone, yes, but it's just better to be able to do it on a device that is folded in half. Somehow that smaller footprint, at least to me ,makes it less demading that I tend to those messages and so forth.

That makes a ton of sense, especially from a psychological perspective. Folded-up phone = not in use, so when you get a message, it's not paramount you answer it. With a slab of glass = it vibrates, you can unlock it much faster than flipping it open to see what the fuss is about.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Im still getting use to that front screen size and screen ratio , seems fine for quick things but majority of the time im in the main display.

wilsodw

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Im still getting use to that front screen size and screen ratio , seems fine for quick things but majority of the time im in the main display.

Being semi retired and in 2 weeks completely retired its perfect for me, no more work emails or messages! Woot

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The front screen isn't useful to me yet. I have a GW Active 2 with this phone and it seems like that negates the cover display utility for me but it does look nice.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The front screen isn't useful to me yet. I have a GW Active 2 with this phone and it seems like that negates the cover display utility for me but it does look nice.

I can see what you are saying. Having a smartwatch kind of makes the front screen a bit redundant in a way. But it must still be pretty cool!

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I can see what you are saying. Having a smartwatch kind of makes the front screen a bit redundant in a way. But it must still be pretty cool!

FOr those of us with dumb watches, happily, I love the front screen. I like being able to separate my tech from real life. Put it back in my pocket. (comfortably). But if my job or something dictated my having a smartwatch, I'd get one. I'm just not that important. lol

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
FOr those of us with dumb watches, happily, I love the front screen. I like being able to separate my tech from real life. Put it back in my pocket. (comfortably). But if my job or something dictated my having a smartwatch, I'd get one. I'm just not that important. lol
I work with technology for a living and love it in my personal life. I am a "Technophile" according to my family. I'm a "Get technology now and THEN see if it's useful for me". ... and I'll let go of technology that disappoints or if I find it's not worth the costs but I do believe "You gotta pay to play."

I have 4 phones (2 of them being Fold³s) and I like them all for their purposes. The Flip³ is auditioning for a spot in the stable, so we'll see. . It is neat tech.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I'm not either LOOL, I use my Fitbit for working out!

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Definitely room for improvement. The Moto Razr still has a much better front screen. So the tech is there and just a matter for Samsung to find a way to mimic what Moto has done.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Definitely room for improvement. The Moto Razr still has a much better front screen. So the tech is there and just a matter for Samsung to find a way to mimic what Moto has done.
I think Samsung was trying to balance price, battery life, and features. I think they did a pretty good job.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred