Full carrier price vs Google (Canada)

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else notice that the price of the 4a is $479 on Google but carriers choose a full price of $560, less a "discount" to bring it back down to $480?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else notice that the price of the 4a is $479 on Google but carriers choose a full price of $560, less a "discount" to bring it back down to $480?

Which country are you in? I'm in the US, it's $350 for the unlocked and $380 for the Verizon model. The only difference I can see is the Verizon model comes preloaded with a Verizon SIM card.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Which country are you in? I'm in the US, it's $350 for the unlocked and $380 for the Verizon model. The only difference I can see is the Verizon model comes preloaded with a Verizon SIM card.
The Verizon one is carrier locked and a locked boot loader from what I recall. Verizon is carrier locked for 2 months unless they changed things.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon one is carrier locked and a locked boot loader from what I recall. Verizon is carrier locked for 2 months unless they changed things.
I know that. But I mean hardware wise, the only difference is the SIM card. Seems kinda ballsy to me to charge $30 extra for a SIM card, a locked bootloader, and being carrier locked. But then again it is Verizon.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know that. But I mean hardware wise, the only difference is the SIM card. Seems kinda ballsy to me to charge $30 extra for a SIM card, a locked bootloader, and being carrier locked. But then again it is Verizon.
And if you use the Verizon sim don't they still charge an upgrade fee too? Or is that a new way of including the upgrade fee?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
And if you use the Verizon sim don't they still charge an upgrade fee too? Or is that a new way of including the upgrade fee?
Not sure. I got them involved when I couldn't get my first P4a to activate, but they never mentioned charging me a fee. Guess I'll see on my next bill. That was one of the reasons I wanted to go the unlocked route, since Verizon charges you money to upgrade. They say it's for the actions involved in making changes to your account. When I got my replacement, I popped it in and it activated without issue. I explained to them once that I thought that was the reason for switching to SIM cards instead of the way they used to do it. The rep explained that it was just there to hold contacts, which is utter horse$hit. The advantage of having a GSM phone vs a CDMA back in the day was to be able to swap between phones without having to make a call to a carrier rep or dial *228 to activate/switch phones. Just swap the SIM card from one device to the next. But Verizon loves their fees.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
In Canada. It seems all the major carriers have priced it higher than Google. But their discounts bring it back down to the Google price.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kazank