Full detail backflip root tutorial

J_HaX

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I AM POSTING THIS BECAUSE I HAD A VERY HARD TIME ROOTING MY BACKFLIP BECAUSE OF SO MANY DIFFERENT POSTS AND DOWNLOADS THAT EITHER DONT WORK OR JUST WRONG TRYING TO USE WAYS FROM OTHER ANDROIDS SO AS I WENT THROUGH WITH FINDING THINGS THAT WORKED I PUT IN A LOG SO I ALWAYS HAD IT AND NOW IM SHARING IT NOTE I HAVE 2.1 ON MY BACKFLIP AND THATS IT WHAT THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR! IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THAT IS YOU PROBABLY SHOULDNT BE TRYING THIS! <~YOUR FAIR WARNING~ BUT CLICK THE BOTTOM LEFT BUTTON ON THE TOUCHPAD (windows looking button) THEN SETTINGS / ABOUT PHONE AND YOU SHOULD SHE FIRMWARE VERSION. IT SHOULD SAY 2.1-update1....... GOT ALL THAT? GOOD! LETS DO THIS!

1st
We'll start with some downloading!(from PC) I assume you have the drivers to connect your phone to the computer. If not no worries you can get them from several hosts FREE including motorola's website. I have XP and the phone installed them automatically.. i tried on vista.. not so much they needed to be downloaded.

Anyway what i have done is compiled EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO ROOT in one zip file includes MY OWN PERSONAL SDK which in the tools folder are su.apk , superuser.apk , rageinthecage_arm5.bin , and install_root.sh (ALSO some apps Including the premium ROM Manager! but well get into that later!) here~~> http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-backflip/48588-flash-rom-backflip.html (MUST ROOT 1ST!)

SO.. the drivers and this one zip file and the drivers are the only thing you need to download on your PC (UNLESS YOU DONT HAVE WINZIP OR SOMETHING OF SORT!)

zip file is here ~~> http://www.uploading.com/files/31fa2c2f/android.zipx/ (if you use another SDK than one i have provided this tutorial you will not have everything you need... there will be 4 files and the command prompt missing in the tools folder!)

2nd
Now with the folder unzipped and the drivers installed open the folder that says Android SDK or somthing like that! inside you will see a folder that says tools. OPEN IT!

There will be a icon that is black and says CMD open it and run it. (it's system32 but its already directed to your sdk tools to save you the hassle (your welcome )

Meanwhile connect your phone to PC via USB and before doing anything go to settings/applications/development/ and check usb debugging and make sure its is on. (you should see the triangle with ! inside it on your notifications bar)
(THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!)

Now in your notifications bar select USB connected and select CHARGE ONLY! (also VERY important)

Back to the System32 on your PC.

type in the command "adb devices" (NO QUOTES DUH!)

it will probably say daemon not running starting daemon then a serial # should show up under connected devices. Weather it says all that or not the serial number MUST be listed or you are not connected to the adb

If you have had no problems with this so far then this should all flow together very nicely from here out!

3rd
Now that we are connected via adb you will need to rum some commands listed here IN THIS ORDER!!! (just copy them from here one at a time, right click the cmd box and select paste, and press enter... ctrl v does not work in system32!(atleast not mine!) you should get very little feedback with each command! should just repeat what you typed.... if you got 2 pages of feedback thats an error! but if u copy and paste like suggested im sure this will be as smooth as butter!

commands =

adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk

adb push su /sdcard/su

adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

adb push install-root.sh /data/local/tmp/install-root.sh

now with proper feedback move to these commands (in order)

adb shell <~ this should change your command prompt from the tools location to a money sign "$"

cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

chmod 0755 install-root.sh

NOW AS LONG AS YOU HAVE NOT GOT ANY DENIALS OR ERRORS IN THIS PROCESS WERE GOOD TO GO!!

4th BACK TO THE PHONE!
What we need to do now is go to android market and search for /download connectbot. ITS FREE!!

Once installed on phone open it and and where it asks for host click where you see SSH and change it to Local. put what ever host name your heart desires (i used my 1st name "Josh", IT DOESNT MATTER!) now hit enter!

This should've taken you to a cmd prompt similar to system32

5th AND FINAL STEP!
more commands YAY!!! now OBVIOUSLY we can't copy from PC and Paste to ConnectBot (WHAT A SHAME!) you must type these correctly or it WILL NOT WORK!! SOOOO LETS MAKE SURE WE PAY ATTENTION AND GET OUR SPACES, FORWARD, AND BACK SLASHES CORRECT!!!! THIS IS WHAT GAVE ME THE MOST TROUBLE AND NOW THAT I HAVE MADE THIS CLEAR I DONT EXPECT ANY HATE MAIL OR ANY ONE KNOCKING MY SKILLS BECAUSE YOU, YOU, AND YOU, OH AND DID I MENTION YOU!!! TYPED IT WRONG

READY?? OK! LETS DO THIS!

cd /data/local/tmp

./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

your phone will go into a prompt and you MUST wait until you see
"forked **** childs" (this could take a moment) the **** will be a number once this happens close the terminal

Now reopen the terminal and it should force close the 1st time and boot just fine the 2nd! now type

/data/local/tmp/install-root.sh

and if no errors occur, like magic! YOU ROOTED! now power off the phone and back on return to connectbot and type

su the $ should become a # and it along with other apps that require root will ask for superuser permissions. just grant permission and GO!

I HOPE THIS WAS HELPFUL TO YOU AND ENJOY YOUR NEW ROOTED PHONE!

Last edited:
Reactions: DroidXcon

Sundance62

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
is this the best way to sideload apps on my Backflip? I tried checking out the Sideload Wonder Machine but with no success...that app won't launch and generates errors. I have a Backflip running 2.1 and have also tried the SDK without success? This is horrible and I can't believe how hard this is to install a simple app, carrier restrictions or no. Why can't someone write a simple app that does this? Perhaps SWM was supposed to be that app, but not for me thus far...

J_HaX

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
sorry i havent checked this in a while... i always use sdk to sideload apps... id check into your drivers.. the phone will work as a mass storage without them.. they are free to download at the motorola site.. then when u get your sdk setup u need a command prompt.. (if you download my sdk it will already be in the tools folder) and when you plug in your phone you need to make your that usb debugging is in fact enabled and type adb devices. this should show or start your bridge. you should see some a combo of number and or letters under where its says devices then when you have your app on your sd car simply type adb push nameOFapp.apk /sdcard/nameOFapp.apk there is a space between the 1st time u type the name and the first / none afterwards... hope this helps!!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582