Galaxy Clock Icon NO Longer Tells Time

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Before the Android 13 update my Galaxy Clock stock app icon used to show an analog clockface with hands that show the correct time. Now the icon no longer "tells time".

I went to galaxy store to update but I cannot find the Clock app there only something called Clockface.

Anyone know how to fix the app icon so it tells time again like the Google Clock icon does?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I checked and the icon works normally in UI 5 but not in Nova browser. It always used to work in Nova. I wish I could get it to work somehow in Nova.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I checked and the icon works normally in UI 5 but not in Nova browser. It always used to work in Nova. I wish I could get it to work somehow in Nova.

The stock Samsung clock has never displayed the actual time for me on the Nova launcher. Only when using OneUI. And I'm still on OneUI 4.1. But I am also using Nova Beta 8.0.3.

Nova has never been able to display the dynamic clock. That goes back to the TouchWiz days. There was a reddit question back then and Nova said that Samsung actively blocks the dynamic clock feature on other launchers.

They do the same with blocking the stock dynamic calendar icon - only shows the date of "11" on other launchers.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh. It works in my Note 9 using NOVA with One UI 2.5 installed so I didn't know that. I could have sworn it worked on my S22 ultra before the update.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Any clock widget on nova always stopped telling the correct time avey week or so but so far on One UI it's working ok so far could of been the beta I am running.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Nope
I have been able to tell time with Samsung Clock app icon on my Note 9 using Nova for many years. Time is always correct.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Any clock widget on nova always stopped telling the correct time avey week or so but so far on One UI it's working ok so far could of been the beta I am running.

The OP isn't talking about a widget. It's about the clock app icon itself on the app screens.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with widgets.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

It seems a problem with the icon pack and Nova after the A13 update. Remove the clock icon, add it back and see if it works.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I tried. No dice. It doesn't work in app drawer of Nova either.

It's possible that Samsung broke something for third party launchers after A13. Just in case try a different icon pack with dynamic clock.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see a screenshot with the Samsung clock icon on the Nova Launcher showing the current time instead of the stationary 4 1/2 o'clock hand position.

I say 4 1/2 o'clock because the hands are in a position that is not possible with an actual analog clock face. The minute hand is on the 12, while the hour hand is 45 degrees below 3, which is between 4 and 5. It should be on either 4 or 5, not between them. So Samsung uses that position on purpose.

The first screenshot below is on One UI Home, 4.1. On that, I have some BlackBerry Hub+ Suite apps, and notice the BlackBerry calander app icon does not pick up the date, but I also have the icon "widget" which will pick up the date, but is all out of alignment with the row - because it's not a regular icon. The Samsung clock shows the right clock face time.

The one after that is on the Nova Launcher. Currently 8.0.3, but this is what I've always seen going back to using Nova since 2017 on an S8. Yes, I'm using the Icon10 icon pack to change a few stock icons to match the BlackBerry 10 look. But I only found that a year ago, and I changed only a few selected icons. The clock has shown this since way before adding the icon pack.
96d43ca0c413e3fe98fb6886dade2e12.jpg
c033ad75c8499f6cc81f672142fe08c8.jpg

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the low quality of the images. I had to upload from the Tapatalk app which limited the size automatically - something I had never seen it do before. I tried from my PC, but it wouldn't upload any new images to the image manager, even though I've done it a bunch of times before and is still showing my previous uploads. It let me pick the image to upload, but they never actually showed up.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to see a screenshot with the Samsung clock icon on the Nova Launcher showing the current time instead of the stationary 4 1/2 o'clock hand position.

I say 4 1/2 o'clock because the hands are in a position that is not possible with an actual analog clock face. The minute hand is on the 12, while the hour hand is 45 degrees below 3, which is between 4 and 5. It should be on either 4 or 5, not between them. So Samsung uses that position on purpose.

The first screenshot below is on One UI Home, 4.1. On that, I have some BlackBerry Hub+ Suite apps, and notice the BlackBerry calander app icon does not pick up the date, but I also have the icon "widget" which will pick up the date, but is all out of alignment with the row - because it's not a regular icon. The Samsung clock shows the right clock face time.

The one after that is on the Nova Launcher. Currently 8.0.3, but this is what I've always seen going back to using Nova since 2017 on an S8. Yes, I'm using the Icon10 icon pack to change a few stock icons to match the BlackBerry 10 look. But I only found that a year ago, and I changed only a few selected icons. The clock has shown this since way before adding the icon pack.
96d43ca0c413e3fe98fb6886dade2e12.jpg
c033ad75c8499f6cc81f672142fe08c8.jpg

Posting attachment is broken in the app that I use but I can confirm that the Clock icon (Samsung default pack) shows the right time even in the app drawer. Running A12/OneUI 4.1/Nova 8.0.3.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Posting attachment is broken in the app that I use but I can confirm that the Clock icon (Samsung default pack) shows the right time even in the app drawer. Running A12/OneUI 4.1/Nova 8.0.3.

Okay... several things. I wasn't on 8.0.3 beta. I was still on 8.0.2 beta. I thought I upgraded but apparently I was mistaken. Sorry about that.

I upgraded, but the clock was still stuck where it was. I did find in the Nova Settings where you can "Reset custom icons". I did that expecting that it would remove the changed icon images. It did not do that, but it did fix the Samsung Clock icon. Now it IS showing the current time.

And it is also showing the current date on the Samsung Calendar icon in the app drawer.

So please forgive my earlier comments. :)

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried. No dice. It doesn't work in app drawer of Nova either.

Quoting you to make sure you see this... as I think I figured it out.

Go to Nova Settings > Look & Feel > Icon Style > Icon Theme > a list box will pop up, click the three vertical dots and press "Reset custom icons" > confirm the action clicking "Reset".

That fixed it for me.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I tried it but it had no effect. I am in the latest NOVA but not beta. Probably didn't work because I don't use custom icons. My icons are set to system.
Anybody know custom icons that do work with Samsung Clock icon and don't mess up something else?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Quoting you to make sure you see this... as I think I figured it out.

Go to Nova Settings > Look & Feel > Icon Style > Icon Theme > a list box will pop up, click the three vertical dots and press "Reset custom icons" > confirm the action clicking "Reset".

That fixed it for me.
Doesn't work.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm on beta 13 with flip 4 and beta 8.03 on Nova and clock doesn't change, I don't ever remember it working on Nova it's a different launcher , the stock launcher what I seen it only work on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001