Galaxy Nexus Speeds

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I was reading some posts on xda and people in indio were getting 7 to 8 mgbs and whenever I would go down to palm springs I got 2 to 3. Does anyone who lives in those areas experiencing really good or slow speeds? Even when I would go to claremont I only got 2 to 3. The most I have ever peaked here in California is 4. Is it just my phone? I have T-Mobiles $30 monthly 4g (5gb 4g data). I have been all over California and I keep getting mediocre speeds. Is it just T-Mobile or my phone?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I was reading some posts on xda and people in indio were getting 7 to 8 mgbs and whenever I would go down to palm springs I got 2 to 3. Does anyone who lives in those areas experiencing really good or slow speeds? Even when I would go to claremont I only got 2 to 3. The most I have ever peaked here in California is 4. Is it just my phone? I have T-Mobiles $30 monthly 4g (5gb 4g data). I have been all over California and I keep getting mediocre speeds. Is it just T-Mobile or my phone?

in Brooklyn NY. I've never seen more than 4 and I read on various forums people do get 8 I think its a phone, my phone also overheated like crazy around the earpiece area..

e2ackbar

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
In Hampton Roads, Virginia, I've seen average speeds of 2.5-4 Mbps with peaks of 5-6.5 Mbps. Most of those connections were on H:9 towers; H:15 connections are rare here.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm near Atlanta and when I had the Nexus, my speeds averaged around 3-4 Megs. The most I got was around 8. I think it's the phone. It's cool that it uses pentaband were you can use it on At&t and T-mobile but, it doesn't seem to use their faster HSPA+ speed (42mbps). It's fast enough for what I need it for.

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine last night, hooked up to Tmo Prepaid. Ran speedtest app early this morning ant got 9-10. Very pleased so far.

San Diego area

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. At least it isn't just me getting speeds like that. Maybe its just certain areas of California. Idk.

mycrownvic02#WN

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Im in knoxville tn, and my speeds are decent. Much faster than some of the listed speeds ive seen on here. It depends on the area.. Im on tmobile prepaid $30 plan

Screenshot_2012-07-03-19-01-05.png

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
For the most part, I averaged 2-4 on T- Mo but I did hit 9 once, this was near Cleveland.

If you're in a tinkering mood and if you've got an unlocked bootloader, you can flash different basebands. The radio the Play Store Nexus ships with is actually a European baseband (starts with XX...). You may want to play around with some other ones and see if your speeds improve. Rght now I'm using UGLA4 (a North American baseband). Here's a link to an XDA thread where you can grab the files:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1405345

(Personally, I just skipped that whole backing up part. It's up to you but I've flashed at least four radios from that thread and I've been fine. Backup seems more complicated than it's worth.)

And it's also suggested that you ensure your RIL matches your baseband. You'll need to be rooted for this part. Just download getRIL from the Play Store and follow the instructions it gives.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Im in knoxville tn, and my speeds are decent. Much faster than some of the listed speeds ive seen on here. It depends on the area.. Im on tmobile prepaid $30 plan

Click to view quoted image

The Gnex seems to be faster on T-mobile. I noticed this when using my T-mobile prepaid sim , which is not my primary service. It was almost twice as fast as At&t.

If I could use my prepaid account and still have call-forwarding through Google voice, I would be using T-mobile as my primary cell phone provider on prepaid.

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... I might try that. Thanks! Have your speeds improved since you flashed different radios?

I can't really remember specifics because I tried the different basebands a while ago but I do remember that there were certainly differences between them and I chose the one with the strongest signal.

As for speed, I saw such a wide spread of speeds on T-Mo it's hard to say just how much it improved. On average I only ever expect 3-4Mbps since the GNex is only HSPA+ 21. Any increase you see won't be drastic since that is so heavily dependent on your area and network traffic at any given time.

Flashing basebands will help you find and maintain the strongest signal which will lead to better battery life and *can* lead to faster speeds.

Thirsty1

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Live in Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex. Got my Gnex last Monday and have been putting it through its paces. I have it on Tmobile and I run constant tests againt my Tbolt. Speed Test always favors my Bolt. When loading actual web sites at the same time, it's a draw. Verizon had the speed edge a year ago, now it's just normal and over priced. Another plus to my Gnex running smooth and fast is the lack of LTE drain on the battery. For $349 and $60 a month for unlimited talk and text and 2 Gigs data with 4.0.4 out of the box and JB coming OTA in a few weeks and no contract, how could I pass this up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel