Galaxy Note 3 overheating

timetopaythefiddler

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: galaxy note 3 overheating

any users of samsung sd card that experiencing heating up?

Not anymore. It was weird I had tried using Screen Mirroring with my Smart TV and I noticed my phone was HOT. Even the next day my battery drained so quick. All I did was restart my phone. Have had no problems ever since and I have my Sandisk Ultra 64 gb installed. Wonder whats going on......

ARNIE CHAN

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site

has anyone tried to use the s pen continuously and realized that it heats up the phone ?
I installed the battery widget and had been noticing that the phone temperature going up when you use the s-pen

chadiz

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I have overheating as well.
First I noticed when checking it at Bestbuy.. I didn't like how hot the phone got while I used it.
I just had mine from ATT for a day and last night I noticed heating a lot while I was installing few apps.
I had put in my 64 GB sandisk ultra that was working great in my Note 2 and never felt hot, barely got warm.
Today I was listening to mp3 music off the memory card and noticed the phone got unbearably HOT and battery drain was around 50% in less than 2 hours.

I don't think this can be fixed in SW. maybe they can lower the cpu frequency or fix a driver.. but the fact that NOTE 3 HW gets super hot is a defect in design and quality.

I am going to replace it and more likely skip NOTE 3 all together. Not impressed :(

mikedark6699

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

hi guys,

i just got my galaxy note 3, and i'm loving the phone. (i upgraded from my note 2)
what i realize after a couple of days is, it starts to get warm (not hot to the point where it's unbearable or anything) really fast. i could just be serving the web a bit, chatting on whatsapp for a little bit, and then the area around the camera would start to get really warm.
i use the phone in about the same manner i used my note 2, but i never noticed my note 2 warming up that fast...
anyone experiencing the same thing? any advice?
thanks in advance!

I had same problem but figured it out...if you have samsung knox installed I can guarantee that is your issue...its a little tricky to uninstall...you cant do it through settings..you actually have to open the app in your appdrawer and uninstall from there...I never got an overheat issue on the note 3 after...I checked the ram kernel and samsung knox was killing the phone and running in the background even if you arent in knox mode..hope this helps it fixed my issue

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

With sdcard concerns; I installed a large amount 30gb to card with cable and had indexing process eating up battery and heating up phone. I pulled card, formatted and started over. This time I installed all files with sd reader on computer. Reinstalled card and haven't had any problems since. Check your battery stats and see if file indexing is your culprit. If so, pull card and start over without using cable. Might work for some.

ATT Note 3

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

What's the maximum safe temp for the note 3? I was abusing it and it heated up up to 38.3? C. According to the Du Battery App. I panicked and just shut it down to cool it off.
It's too hot for me. And the friggin samsung shop doesn't wanna replace it. :(
I mean I bought it with hard earned cash so sorry if I am freaking out. :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

What's the maximum safe temp for the note 3? I was abusing it and it heated up up to 38.3? C. According to the Du Battery App. I panicked and just shut it down to cool it off.
It's too hot for me. And the friggin samsung shop doesn't wanna replace it. :(
I mean I bought it with hard earned cash so sorry if I am freaking out. :(

The back of the battery states to maintain temperature below 140?F/60?C. So you are well within the safe limits of the battery.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

How bout for the processor? Wouldn't it burn out?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

How bout for the processor? Wouldn't it burn out?

The temperature is the battery temperature not cpu temperature

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

On my note 2, the battery temperature went up to 154.9?F, phone still worked fine afterwards. I would of course not recommend this, just sharing my experience

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Yeah. I know. But i am worried about how the phone heats up. Not just the battery.

I figured to use power saving mode with thr CPU option on.
It didn't affect the petformance at all.
I didn't use any power saving with my SGN2, coz it did affect performance. But with SGN3 it doesn't and the good thing is, even with me abusing it, it doesn't heat up anymore. :)

John Eztogive

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

I have the same overheating issue and battery drain.
I have taken the SD card out. I will report back tomorrow if it has gotten better or not.
I hope I don't have to charge the phone two or 3 times a day.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
any users of samsung sd card that experiencing heating up?

Samsung SD card in mine and I average 145 degrees only when held. No rogue apps. Only thing I found is that Lookout seems to be taking 50 percent of the battery when I check. Could that be an issue?

EDIT: Just had an app update and temp is down to 114.

Posted via Android Central App

lbccpt

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

This seemed to fix my overheating while using the GPS and I also don't notice any difference in performance.

Yeah. I know. But i am worried about how the phone heats up. Not just the battery.

I figured to use power saving mode with thr CPU option on.
It didn't affect the petformance at all.
I didn't use any power saving with my SGN2, coz it did affect performance. But with SGN3 it doesn't and the good thing is, even with me abusing it, it doesn't heat up anymore. :)

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

This seemed to fix my overheating while using the GPS and I also don't notice any difference in performance.

Yeah. No change in performance that is noticable. Even if I am abusing the phone.
Glad it worked for you too. :)

Ashley Castelino

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

Hi Guys, I'm facing the same problem. Switched over from Note 2 (32 GB Card) to Note 3 (64 GB Sandisk Ultra).. The phone heats up around the camera area nd gets very disturbing.

After going through this forum, i removed the sd card and played video on MX Player for approx. 25-30 minutes. there was absolutely no heating.
I then inserted the 64 GB Ultra SD Card and played the same video and it heated up again within 3-4 minutes of playing.

Do you think it is because of the Sandisk brand or the 64 GB capacity .

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Hi Guys, I'm facing the same problem. Switched over from Note 2 (32 GB Card) to Note 3 (64 GB Sandisk Ultra).. The phone heats up around the camera area nd gets very disturbing.

After going through this forum, i removed the sd card and played video on MX Player for approx. 25-30 minutes. there was absolutely no heating.
I then inserted the 64 GB Ultra SD Card and played the same video and it heated up again within 3-4 minutes of playing.

Do you think it is because of the Sandisk brand or the 64 GB capacity .

Sandisk ultra I believe has had issues with some Samsung devices. Supposedly Sandisk put a fix of manufactured after a certain date. Try a class 4 Sandisk

Zergslayer69

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

That's odd, I'm using a sandisk 64gb ultra in my note 2 and there's no heat issues, but I'll find out once I get my note 3 in hand. To a post earlier, does this mean we should not transfer data to the microsd card via usb cable and should do it from a separate usb card reader only?

conanheath

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

That's odd, I'm using a sandisk 64gb ultra in my note 2 and there's no heat issues, but I'll find out once I get my note 3 in hand. To a post earlier, does this mean we should not transfer data to the microsd card via usb cable and should do it from a separate usb card reader only?

This was my experience. I formatted Samsung 64G class 10 in phone and transfered 30gb with USB cable. Indexing services ran my battery down and overheated phone for 36hrs before I removed card and started over. It might have finished indexing at some point but I'll never know. This time I dumped same 30gb of misc files thru sd card reader and reinstalled. Indexing services ran for about 4-6 hrs and settled back to normal. I think no matter how you put info on card, indexing services is going to eat your battery until it's done. I just had better luck with using card reader. My advice, if you're going to load a new card with a lot of data, do it in small increments. I went back and loaded more music in smaller gb increments and indexing was much less of a battery hog. And no heat issues.

ATT N3

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hapily02