Galaxy Note 3 - Weird message with battery charger

kb9451

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue. Verizon had me wipe the phone (saying it may have been an app I downloaded), replaced the power brick and replaced the USB cable. It was finally fixed on my 4th trip back to them when they supplied a Verizon branded charger to replace the Samsung one. The manager looked it up and told me there is an issue with the stock Samsung charger that Samsung has been made aware of but has yet to address. The phone side USB connection on the Verizon cord does not split like the proprietary Samsung. It fits snug into just one side of the port. My guess is that the Samsung connector does not seat properly and provide consistent power like the Verizon one. There is a noticeable difference in the way the Verizon plug fits tightly into the charge port as opposed to the Samsung which could easily be moved or jarred loose with even the slightest touch. I have had no issues since the swap and the phone charges a lot quicker.

Jewlz Kirby

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue. Verizon had me wipe the phone (saying it may have been an app I downloaded), replaced the power brick and replaced the USB cable. It was finally fixed on my 4th trip back to them when they supplied a Verizon branded charger to replace the Samsung one. The manager looked it up and told me there is an issue with the stock Samsung charger that Samsung has been made aware of but has yet to address. The phone side USB connection on the Verizon cord does not split like the proprietary Samsung. It fits snug into just one side of the port. My guess is that the Samsung connector does not seat properly and provide consistent power like the Verizon one. There is a noticeable difference in the way the Verizon plug fits tightly into the charge port as opposed to the Samsung which could easily be moved or jarred loose with even the slightest touch. I have had no issues since the swap and the phone charges a lot quicker.

Ya.. I just got a new Note 3 at the beginning of March.. 13 days later it told me the same message about using the same charger that came with the phone. . Then it wouldn't charge over 1% the next day.. so of course Verizon gave me Another new phone. .. now I have only had this one for a Little over a week.. and it is now reading the same message :(

aqwesd

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here. I stopped by the Samsung area in Best Buy and discussed the issue with the Samsung Experts. One of them opened a door on the display and handed me a brand new charger and cable and said Merry Christmas. It's been working fine for the past few days.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here. I stopped by the Samsung area in Best Buy and discussed the issue with the Samsung Experts. One of them opened a door on the display and handed me a brand new charger and cable and said Merry Christmas. It's been working fine for the past few days.
Found the fix on another forum; can't find it again or I'd gladly give credit to original answers. Take off the back plate to the phone and using Phillips 00 (can be purchased at radioshack as a kit) tighten all screws a quarter of a turn. Finished about ten minutes ago... problem solved.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Are you serious? That works? Who'd a thunk it!! LOL
This should be posted as a sticky...too many people having the issue here.

Brian H4

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Your wrong .. I have had my note 3 for almost a year and it has charged just fine then about 1 month ago it started with this error and my I am still using the stock charger... I work for a Good4Domains.com and we have hundreds of employees with note 3 phones and all of them are having this issue... Any idea of what caused this glitch

Lastly

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Started doing this after a recent update. Now it seems the phone doesn't even charge even though it shows plugged in with original factory charger and cable. Anyone know what the System UI 4.3 and a bunch if numbers is? Nothing to write it down for now and won't let me copy and paste it. Shows as some app and looking over it doesn't look good what it does. Can't find much online about it. Is it necessary? Anyway need to try getting this charged before it dies for good. Thanks for any help.

Lastly

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Today I remembered I had a 3.0 cable with an external drive I wasn't using. Before I'd only tried factory provided cables and still got the use provided notification. Amazingly a non provided cable with the provided plug actually works so far and in a matter of minutes the battery has gone from 7% to 23% charge while writing this. This is how it use to charge.Only thing I can figure is something to do with the little pieces of movable metal sticking out of the bottom on the Samsung 3.0 side might be causing it since the external 3.0 USB one doesn't have those and using it the phone isn't showing anymore notifications. What are those things called and what are they for anyway? 80% in 1 hour using a non Samsung cable & no use provided cable notification to be seen or any if the other issues the phone was experiencing. Amazing since it was barely 80% after charging for over 12 hours this morning. 100% after 1.5 hour charging. So much for using the provided cable being an issue. It seems the provided cable I'd the issue.

Lastly

May 21, 2014
Visit site
The phone was 100% charged after about 1.5 hours using the off brand cable with the Samsung plug instead of the provided cable. Go figure...

Lastly

May 21, 2014
Visit site
So my phone didn't need wiped after all. Funny how they jump right to hard reset when they have no idea what's causing the issue which is no way to figure out what's causing the problem and fix it for good.

Kristin Shea

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Worked for me to remove battery and tighten screws. Oddly, I started getting this message right after the last update. hmmm I was also getting annoying random notification sounds or vibes (even in silent mode). Had to do factory reset (pain in the ****) but it didn't clear up the charger issue. I've had my phone charging now for a few mins and it's already up by 3%. we'll see.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED! Bad cable Went to Verizon and initially they said it's the hardware, "gotta return the phone." I suggested trying a new charger and problem went away. It's a Verizon charger but got it at no cost. Thanks for all the input.

You know, if you call Samsung, they will send you a label, you send just the cord back and they will send you a new Samsung cord. I had to do that with my N2 last year. It gives you an extra cord now also.

Sent from my Awesome Note 3

Lastly

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Went to the local Best Buy & the Samsung expert tried a couple of different charger cables. There was no use provided cable notification while using either cable. They worked fine and the phone started charging. He said to contact Samsung and they will replace the bad cable. He also said messing with the screws would void the warranty.

Last edited:

zjones1008

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Note 3 through Sprint since the middle of November with no issues. Seems like most of you are Verizon customers maybe it's just a Verizon issue?

BranchOutMusic

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I had experienced this. I ordered a new 3.0 charger from amazon and it works great. The cord is actually better too because it's thicker. Phone charges no problem now and very fast.

Hope this helps. I plan on taking my old cord back to Verizon and getting a new one, so i'll have two.

Kristin Shea

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Removing battery and tightening screws worked for me for one day. Tried other USB chargers to no avail. Going to Verizon for new charger today. Never had problems with my iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App

thechevyman1

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
having the same problem but first i was using a not original charger just got one and thought that the problem would be solved but the msj still pops up every time i want to charge it thinking in getting another battery

Imogen Parkinson

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if you could help... I got my note 3 yesterday and it was already switched on in the box which was weird. Anyway, I was using it fine, transferring contacts and my album arts on my music, downloading apps. Went to put it on charge and it wouldn't charge, said it was charging, but remained on only 1% for 3 hours. It is not a new phone it is second hand, but I know it has no damage. I tried to charge it with the 3.0 usb cable it came with and plugged it into my laptop. Over the next 11 hours from about 7pm last night until just gone 8am this morning, it was only on 80%. I contacted the seller and he said that he had always had that problem since he bought it from the store and there was no problem found when he tried to return it. He is sending me a new battery and charger free of charge because he got so sick of it taking so long through the wall charger or his laptop that he bought new batteries and threw them away afterwards because it was less hassle! I can't afford to do that though!! I spoke to an O2 guru today and he said it was very strange and he had never heard of that happening with a note 3 before but I should bring it into an O2 store but I live really far away from any O2 stores... Any help or advice greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

jdwx

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I have this issue only when using the OEM charger and cable that was for my Razr Maxx, that otherwise work perfectly fine on every other phone that comes in the house. I believe that charger was like 2 amps.

Using that charger, I get the warning and overnight it won't charge fully. Yet the Moto charger/cable works with other high end/need phones that come in. Was going to try a few OEM Samsung cables but I am debating after reading this thread, lol... Hate to buy a new round of Samsung chargers and cables when I have like 4 Moto Razr chargers here. Ugh! lol... Can't imagine a higher amp charger not doing an appropriate job... Hmmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssiinnoojjandriod