Battery bypassed but still behaves weird

f1lt3r

Mar 25, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

Long story short I was bored so decided to make use of some old phones I had, one of them is the G4.

I installed xmrig miner via userland but the battery was draining faster than phone could charge while mining its also got all swollen so using it as it is was not an option anymore.

I saw few "workaround" videos showing how to "trick" the phone thinking it have battery while connected to power only but I was looking for something more permanent.

So I took the old battery apart and soldered its logic board to the phone battery connector directly, after that I soldered a usb cable (+/-) to the to the same batt. terminal I soldered to the phone. Got phone to boot but I was to early to celebrate.

After an hour or so I came to check the hashrate and phone was dead off :/ making few experiments I could see phone just decided battery is 0% from 100% in one sec and was turning off.
after some thinking I saw that the negative leg on the cells I threw away was soldered to a different contact on the battery board on the far side of the board.

So I took a jumper cable and soldered it between the negative leg contact on the phone and that far contact on the battery board.

But phone was still shutting down when plugged in thinking battery drained from 100 to 0 in one sec

As last desperate step I decided to try adding the additional original power source and so far its looking good and nothing has exploded yet :)

final form is LG G4 without battery and 2 power cables, one micro usb connect to phone and another usb A soldered directly to phone ,
The soldered cable makes phone think the is a battery and second cable makes phone think that same battery that doesnt exist is charging.

Is there a way to just disable the battery governor or something? If the phone would stop checking battery health I can use only one soldered cable

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Did you add a resistor? USB will push 5V whereas a phone battery is usually rated for 3.8V. Obviously there is variance, but 5V is probably enough to make the phone think there is something wrong with the cell.

Also, I hope you're being careful. Fires should always be kept in mind with amateur electronics lol.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

Long story short I was bored so decided to make use of some old phones I had, one of them is the G4.

I installed xmrig miner via userland but the battery was draining faster than phone could charge while mining its also got all swollen so using it as it is was not an option anymore.

I saw few "workaround" videos showing how to "trick" the phone thinking it have battery while connected to power only but I was looking for something more permanent.

So I took the old battery apart and soldered its logic board to the phone battery connector directly, after that I soldered a usb cable (+/-) to the to the same batt. terminal I soldered to the phone. Got phone to boot but I was to early to celebrate.

After an hour or so I came to check the hashrate and phone was dead off :/ making few experiments I could see phone just decided battery is 0% from 100% in one sec and was turning off.
after some thinking I saw that the negative leg on the cells I threw away was soldered to a different contact on the battery board on the far side of the board.

So I took a jumper cable and soldered it between the negative leg contact on the phone and that far contact on the battery board.

But phone was still shutting down when plugged in thinking battery drained from 100 to 0 in one sec

As last desperate step I decided to try adding the additional original power source and so far its looking good and nothing has exploded yet :)

final form is LG G4 without battery and 2 power cables, one micro usb connect to phone and another usb A soldered directly to phone ,
The soldered cable makes phone think the is a battery and second cable makes phone think that same battery that doesnt exist is charging.

Is there a way to just disable the battery governor or something? If the phone would stop checking battery health I can use only one soldered cable
Welcome to AC!
Dangerous experiment that device served it's time .