Galaxy Note 8 - On PC folders there, but says no files - empty...

ozstar

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Have Win 10 and Galaxy Note 8.

It is full and I want to transfer DCIM etc to PC.

It connects okay and shows in Explorer as do all the folders but there are no files in them. They all say Empty.

On the phone they are full of images, videos etc.

How can I fix this to clean the phone. Thanks

oz

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Galaxy S4 forum to the Note8 forum.

When you connect via USB, swipe down the notification panel and tap the USB notification. Make sure MTP or File Transfer is selectred.

ozstar

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Sorry in wrong area.
When I connect to PC and pull down from the top, I do not have an USB icon.
If i go to External storage Transfer I can only get to SD Card, no ext box.
It is connected to PC okay, see Phone (red) and card then folders but no files in them.
Where to now please?

ozstar

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Thank you yes I tried 3 cables all with same result but now found another which did work.
Change cables back to what I had always worked and it did work ! Really weird.
Now I am able to copy files over to PC, so far anyway.
I noticed the DCIM is also on the card and that is where those files are going not to the DCIM on phone. Not sure when I did that change but it seems to be saving the files okay. I will see if I can also get my Whatsapp files there too as it takes pressure off the phone space, but not sure how that is done, if at all.
Thanks for the help. really appreciated. I will keep going and hope it all comes out in the wash as they say !

oz

ozstar

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I see every now and then I get a 'Data is supplied is a wrong type' panel.

This time with regular mp3 files. It did some, then I got that message.

Now in that same folder, 'The requested value cannot be determined' panel so it doesn't copy over the mp3.

EDIT:
I changed USB ports and the folder on the phone that had the mp3's in it now doesn't. I am looking to see what folder they are in. It seems like maybe a bit of corruption going on.

BTW I still cannot see any reference to USB on the Home pull down. What would that be?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might have to do with the SD card, which might be corrupt or counterfeit: How to Spot a Fake MicroSD Card and Avoid Being Scammed

I've seen posts here about some phones not having the USB option in the notification panel, although I've never seen that happen on any of my phones (I've been mostly Nexus and Pixel). Sometimes you have to go into the Developer Options to change the USB connection preference.

ozstar

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
It might have to do with the SD card, which might be corrupt or counterfeit: How to Spot a Fake MicroSD Card and Avoid Being Scammed

I've seen posts here about some phones not having the USB option in the notification panel, although I've never seen that happen on any of my phones (I've been mostly Nexus and Pixel). Sometimes you have to go into the Developer Options to change the USB connection preference.

Thanks. I am still looking for the developer options too but so far don't see them. I'm sure I've seen before on this phone I've had since new.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To activate the Developer Options, go to Settings>About Phone, then tap Build Number 7 times. Then go back to the main system settings to find the Developer Options menu.