Galaxy S20 Ultra’s problematic camera autofocus should qualify it for refunds

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Read this article this morning about how Samsung failed with the s20 ultra camera.
I do believe the camera focus is a huge problem and with so many updates its still hasn't been fixed. They should either give us the option to swap with a note s20 ultra or the 21 when it comes out. In a perfect world that would happen. I'm thinking of creating a petition to make this come to light. I know they are aware but doesn't hurt to try. Here's a sample picture of my ultra not focusing. Anyone else having these issues?

https://www.sammobile.com/opinion/g...mera-autofocus-should-qualify-it-for-refunds/

20200831_110210.jpg

stevo82

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
It was a pretty well known issue before the phone released. Nearly every YouTube review I watched mentioned that it had issues. I still bought one just to see for myself. It was absolute garbage for the price so I returned it. I agree that samsung should do something for people that are stuck with it though. It's borderline false advertising to claim the phone is going to change mobile photography and not mention its gonna change it for the worse lol

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
It was a pretty well known issue before the phone released. Nearly every YouTube review I watched mentioned that it had issues. I still bought one just to see for myself. It was absolute garbage for the price so I returned it. I agree that samsung should do something for people that are stuck with it though. It's borderline false advertising to claim the phone is going to change mobile photography and not mention its gonna change it for the worse lol

Thats exactly what I mean change photography they said. More like hey here cough up some money and let's give you guys a sub par phone.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I used my Ultra before I even knew there was an issue and if I did notice a lag focusing it didn't bother me. I've, of course, received all the camera updates and though the S20U is no longer my main phone that surely isn't because of the camera and I've used it quite a bit. No real complaints but I'll play with it a bit today and see if it bothers me. It may indeed focus a tad slower. I did note, however, that the 108X zoom was just a gimic and not really of any practical value...to me. I realize at these price-points we shouldn't have to endure any issues but we often undoubtedly do. If one purchased the phone primarily for its camera prowness I can certainly understand being disappointed but for me...not much of an issue.

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I used my Ultra before I even knew there was an issue and if I did notice a lag focusing it didn't bother me. I've, of course, received all the camera updates and though the S20U is no longer my main phone that surely isn't because of the camera and I've used it quite a bit. No real complaints but I'll play with it a bit today and see if it bothers me. It may indeed focus a tad slower. I did note, however, that the 108X zoom was just a gimic and not really of any practical value...to me. I realize at these price-points we shouldn't have to endure any issues but we often undoubtedly do. If one purchased the phone primarily for its camera prowness I can certainly understand being disappointed but for me...not much of an issue.

Thinking of starting a petition who's with me ??

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much my sentiments.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Ah the 100x zoom... 30x zoom is the best for me personally. More than that is horrible...

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Thats exactly what I mean change photography they said. More like hey here cough up some money and let's give you guys a sub par phone.

I see several saying they would switch to the Note 20 but I recently watched a review on that device and while the Ultra model is all shiny and bright, for an extra $300 bucks, the regular Note 20 is literally plastic and lower specs for what some of you may have paid for S20+s. Talk about "cough up some money and let's give you a sub par phone."

In the same line up that probably showed Oscar Maradiaga the original article about Samsung's known camera issues on the S20 there was another article I found interesting which supported the OnePlus oddly enough. I found it an interesting read at this link... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...axy-s-2019-4&usg=AOvVaw0gr7auWEVwf8T8oFx5O73M

I feel we often get wrapped up in a name as the article suggests because I can't count how many times I've seen someone post that if this Samsung keeps giving me problems I'm switching to Apple. I've heard similar comments from tech reviewers about switching from Apple to Samsung. On top of it all these are probably the two most expensive brands and the ones that gouge you the most if you decide to not go with their absolute best device of that year and model. Just an observation but don't take my word for it.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I see several saying they would switch to the Note 20 but I recently watched a review on that device and while the Ultra model is all shiny and bright, for an extra $300 bucks, the regular Note 20 is literally plastic and lower specs for what some of you may have paid for S20+s. Talk about "cough up some money and let's give you a sub par phone."

In the same line up that probably showed Oscar Maradiaga the original article about Samsung's known camera issues on the S20 there was another article I found interesting which supported the OnePlus oddly enough. I found it an interesting read at this link... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...axy-s-2019-4&usg=AOvVaw0gr7auWEVwf8T8oFx5O73M

I feel we often get wrapped up in a name as the article suggests because I can't count how many times I've seen someone post that if this Samsung keeps giving me problems I'm switching to Apple. I've heard similar comments from tech reviewers about switching from Apple to Samsung. On top of it all these are probably the two most expensive brands and the ones that gouge you the most if you decide to not go with their absolute best device of that year and model. Just an observation but don't take my word for it.

ah OP...1 of my favourite brand...sadly OP isnt sold in Indonesia anymore...and buying a unit from overseas would mean if anything was to happen then ill have to go overseas.the last OP i had was the OP7P...amazing phone...but the software is quite a hit n miss...thats for me personally though.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Apple and Samsung are so big and highly desired they're above the law. They know people will keep paying ludicrous prices for their phones regardless of the lies they tell or the corners they cut.

It's good to be them ;-)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Both Apple and Samsung make other more affordable devices. No one is forced into buying their devices or any other expensive brand or device.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Funny enough, phone cameras were good enough for me 2-3 years ago. I tend to buy phones today based on their processing power, RAM, storage, display quality and size, battery life, accessory ecosystems, and finally camera prowess. In this balance, Samsung flagships rarely, if ever, disappointed me. Funny enough, the ability to easily get a good screen protector and case is more important than how over-the-top the camera system is.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FerretPhone