Galaxy S3 Screen Not Working?

dsmusicbox

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue today. I was able to call my phone from my husband's (screen on my phone remained black), and I swiped where the answer bar would have been. I was able to answer the call and everything worked peachy. There's just a black screen no matter what I do. No root, nothing customized, nothing. :eek:/

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
anhayes3183/dsmusicbox,
If you pull the battery, wait a few minutes, put the battery back in and then power on and don't see anything on the screen, but you hear the normal power up sounds, your hardware is toast - take it back to your local carrier or call their support line for a replacement.
If you don't have insurance, and the phone is out of the initial exchange period from your purchase place, then you'll have to contact Samsung for warranty repair.
It is POSSIBLE that you could use something like Kies to try to restore a Factory image, or you could boot the phone blindly in Recovery mode and try to perform a Factory Reset (get someone with a working S3 to walk you through the steps), but frankly you shouldn't have to go to those lengths (unless you rooted your phone, in which case all bets are off).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Karina Noel

May 31, 2013
Visit site
hi, i dropped my phone today and now the screen is black. everything works just fine. i can get phone calls and text messages, all the buttons light up and the phone still vibrates, i can also unlock my phone the screen is responding to touch. it just wont show anything. can you help me?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
anhayes, that's probably a hardware issue, but try booting into recovery mode and see if you can see anything on the screen. If you can, then you can do a factory reset from recovery. If you can't, then it's a hardware issue. To boot into recovery: turn the phone completely OFF. Not just screen off. Press and hold, at the same time, volume UP, home, and power. After a bit of time it will buzz, and then (hopefully) the Samsung logo will appear. As soon as you see the logo release all 3 buttons. If the screen is working, after a short delay, you'll see a list of items. Use the volume up and down to select factory reset, then the power button to execute that option. If you don't see anything on the screen in this process, it's hardware.

Karina, you probably damaged the screen, or knocked loose a connector. Does the touch function of the screen work? (e.g., if you swipe or touch where you know an action should happen, does that action happen? In any case, I think you're going to need to send the phone off for repair.

Kevin, are you saying you can see what's on the screen, but touching it doesn't work? Or you can't see anything on the screen at all? There are a number of suggestions in this thread. Try them all. If it still doesn't work, let us know.

Marius Pedersen

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I have a problem with my s3's screen. (Sorry, don't know how to start a thread) When I play games onit, after a few seconds the screen goes black. Then, after a few seconds of darkness,te game is back on, paused. This repeats itself. Any ideas on ehat this is?

kimasmama

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I got the same problem with my phone, I connected the phone to my PC and suddenly the screen became black. Led light, main button and sound was fine. I took the battery out and inserted it back, switched it on but the screen remained black. The phone was hot and I could smell something burned inside the phone on the right side. Could it be a hardware problem? Btw, I don't have any warranty, please help!

Lyle Gravatt

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
After retrieving my phone from the pool and performing all the tricks (rice, take apart and lay it in sunlight, etc.), the S III works in every way but one - the touch screen does not pick up my touch. I'm under the impression I can order a digitizer, but all I'm seeing online is instructional videos for replacing the screen + digitizer. Any suggestions out there?

Lyle Gravatt

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so now I gather that the S3 has an outer glass/lens which covers the LCD and digitizer. I've been watching videos replacing a cracked lens, but it seems the LCD and digitizer are inseparable. Now that I have no touch, I have to spend $180 to order the LCD/digitizer package. Is that true?

kristin_luangrath

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I need help, I dropped my phone and the screen cracked and i just got the new screen in. my husband and i took the old one off and put the new one on but when i turn my phone on, nothing appears on the screen. i have a samsung galaxy s3 please can anyone tell me if this is fixable or if my screen in permanently damaged and will never work again. thank you

nutter58

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi I have a Galaxy S3. I got it in the mail about a month ago and I accidently dropped it. Everything seems to work except the screen. The screen is not cracked and it is responsive to touch but it doesn't display anything. Any advice? TBH its my mothers not mine and I am good at tech stuff but she said the screen leaked or something. Thanks.

AnneliseMartinez104

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
What if my phone appears to work (turn on, ring / vibrate when called, the LED light up when charging), but the screen stays black?? (Its a galaxy s3 by the way) How do I fix this? Also, if it cannot be fixed, how can I back up my stuff from that phone so i can transfer it to another phone ?? Please help me... I really don't want to lose all of my stuff. ; (

glxygrl0420

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I am having a similar issue.
I woke up one morning and everything seemed to work (can make outgoing calls by svoice, can do anything if i memorized the touch sequence, responds to touch) but the screen is black. At least that's what I though at first. Last night while lying in a very dark room, I noticed that the screen is VERY VERY dim but not black. I can see faint outlines of apps and the svoice screen and the pattern lock screen (which I can do without having to see the screen.)

I am willing to try everything to fix this.

I have a Sprint Galaxy S3:'(

flygirldi

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I dropped my phone and have a cracked screen. I've had no problems with emails, apps, pictures, text messages. The only problem I have is using the phone for actual phone calls. My phone rings and I answer it, as soon as I answer it, the screen goes black and I'm unable to do anything after that. I can't switch over to another call for call waiting. I cannot end a call. I have to wait for the other person to disconnect on their end. I can call in to check voicemaill but then the screen goes black and I can't get the keyboard to appear to do anything with my messages from there. I can place a call out but as soon as I hit send the screen goes black and I'm unable to do anything from there. If I don't reach someone, I get voicemail, I can't do anything or disconnect until it disconnects from that end. Which as you can imagine is using up my minutes. Also, if I have to call an automated number and make selections through the automated system via the keyboard I cannot make those calls. My question is how is this possible that everything else works via touch but somehow the phone function isn't working at all since dropping the phone. I have done the battery pull and that did not correct any issues. I'm hoping I don't have to spend $300 to get the new screen/digitizer replaced??:'(

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like something has happened to the proximity sensor.
As a workaround you can try this - start the Phone app, press the Menu button, select Call settings, then uncheck "Auto screen off during calls"
duzeve3y.jpg
Edit: In that same menu you can also select 'Call answering/ending', then in the next screen enable 'The power key ends calls'.
yba4e8e2.jpg
Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentleman the LCD needs to be replaced if the LCD won't turn on or is plain blank but yet the phone turns on.

Methods of help below.

Category A: If LCD randomly stopped working with no damage noticeable:

1. Call samsung to have it fixed with their one year warranty. You must be within one year warranty period. It must not have a cracked screen or water damage or such. This one is free of cost of you are covered.

2. Have LCD repaired (replaced really) by Samsung or a local repair store with the cost of paying.

3. Replaced the lcd housing yourself by ordering the part. For example here is a link to a sprint s3 lcd housing that goes for $140!

4. Optional step: It is possible your LCD flex cable became loose. Look up how to open your device and then gently unplug the LCD flex and reconnect it.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...3Ditem.view%26id%3D33094422657&token=H0StmmA8

Category B: If lCD works but phone no longer respond to touch function.

1. You could try getting Samsung to repair it since chances are they won't bother checking for digitizer damage since they would have to remove the glass and that could easy be deemed that they damaged it during removal of glass.

2. Pay Samsung to repair it. Or pay someone to replace it but if you will be paying someone to repair it please note it is better to do it yourself using option 3 under category B

3. Go on ebay, amazon, or any site you prefer and buy the LCD housing part for your model and an exchangeable unit part that works for your model (research this).

For example here is a link to a sprint s3 lcd housing that goes for $140!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...3Ditem.view%26id%3D33094422657&token=H0StmmA8

Category C: glass is cracked but everything else functions?!

You have many choices here...

1: You can pay a local repair store to replace the glass for you but make sure they do the job properly and offer a warranty as some people do a poor job!

2. You can replace the glass yourself.. please note that by getting glass replaced it won't feel the same as original.

Go on ebay or any other site and buy the following:

*Samsung galaxy s3 glass replacement
* Heat gun (or you can use a hair dryer).
* an IR temp reader
* tools to take apart your device
* there is other items you will need but I can't recall but you will need double sided tape to boarder up the process. Do research!

watch this video for the process
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRseN4sy_kE

3. Buy an LCD housing to get it all over with and enjoy original real glass feeling without random loss of touch function.

For example here is a link to a sprint s3 lcd housing that goes for $140!

I hope this helps you all with what to expect with issues involving the LCD/glass area. :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: