Galaxy S3 Serious Problems

FarBeyondKnowledge

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
When I first got this phone it charged very quickly and the battery lasted for very long periods of time. I was impressed with the overall performance and assumed I had a great device that I would be able to use and enjoy for a very long time to come.

After 3 weeks of letting the battery run to around 10% to 20% and charging all the way to 100% everything was going great.
One night however, I let the phone drain completely dead and I placed it on the charger before going to sleep. I slept for around 5 hours and
when I woke up the phone was fully charged but also VERY VERY hot.

I immediately began having severe battery drains and assumed the battery was damaged from overcharging. I researched this a lot and many
people said that leaving the phone on the charger after it is 100% is not damaging to the battery, but when your battery goes from lasting 12 + hours to
maybe 2 hours you tend to think it's probably trashed.

After a couple days of being insanely frustrated, I purchased 2 new samsung batteries and expected my Galaxy S3 to go back to normal. The battery life improved slightly, but still drains completely dead within 2 to 3 hours... this happens even with the phone sitting and doing nothing. I applied the power profile xml fix... nothing... I flashed Liquid Rom (a lightweight rom that is reported by many to save a huge amount of power) I've calibrated the battery also... (i have root and I have tried everything)... the phone runs hotter than it did before even under normal use. It only got warm before when I would play heavy 3d games or watch long videos.

After a week of research and trying many different things to fix the severe drain, I have come to the conclusion that it has to be a hardware malfunction. I've tried different roms, kernels, tweaking options, wifi is not on during sleep... screen brightness is at its LOWEST setting.. and now with Liquid, I am running the least resource intensive rom out of every one I've tried. I've read other people complaining about similar issues... Anyone know anything new about these issus or something thatI don't know please share it with me.

My theory is that the phone is no longer capable of holding power because the severe overheating has caused it to lose its resistive capabilities to contain and use the battery power as it should. In just the last 30 minutes, my phone has went from 77% to 34% while just sitting idle.. and the SCREEN is reporting responsible... This is with the Liquid jellybean rom... also does it with tmobile's official ICS roms.

If all else fails, I'll stock the phone back to normal and try to return it for an exchange I guess.... *facepalm*

Last edited:

FarBeyondKnowledge

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I returned it to stock rom yesterday. Extreme battery drain still an issue.. but get this... even when you turn the phone OFF... it stays warm as if it is doing something or power is just crapping out through the system... then you can turn it back on to having 1 to 2% battery... It's definately a hardware issue. I hope they will let me exchange it because I really loved the phone for the 2 and a half weeks that it performed like it was supposed to.

@ smooth4lyfe Yeah I gave that app a try.. but it did nothing.. I got GSAM which monitors the specific apps and services using battery... after analyzing it.. nothing is out of the ordinary.. it's just that ALL the apps are using way more power than they should... the phone was never overclocked or any such thing. Mark my words.. It won't be long before a hardware issue with holding power is officially confirmed.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Check Your settings... Maybe ur phone is doing too much at once... How often are your apps syncing? Make them sync every hour, also check all your accounts and see which ones you don't need to be synced and uncheck them, also what's your brightness level? Keep Juice Defender on balance and do u use LTE a lot? LTE drains battery quick

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

sal the wop

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
This may or may not be related, but when you charge your S3 and only when you charge it, the video player (transcoding) will run. You can see this by charging you phone and then check your running apps under settings.

The issue is, if you have large video files such as movies, the transcoding will use more CPU and the phone gets warm/hot.

This transcoding is part of the awesome feature that shows previews of your videos, before opening.

I found out the hard way because, I have 8 movies on my sd....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sal the wop

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Don't use juice defender. Try watchdog lite. It will let you know whats running, where it's running, and how much it's using.....goodluck!

Droidstation3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
This may or may not be related, but when you charge your S3 and only when you charge it, the video player (transcoding) will run. You can see this by charging you phone and then check your running apps under settings.

The issue is, if you have large video files such as movies, the transcoding will use more CPU and the phone gets warm/hot.

This transcoding is part of the awesome feature that shows previews of your videos, before opening.

I found out the hard way because, I have 8 movies on my sd....

I SWEAR MAN! I've been having this exact problem with my phone for the last few months and it was driving me crazy because I couldn't figure out what was causing it. So its the STOCK video player that keeps doing this? What it does is, it creates a ".thumbnails" folder in my internal storage where it manufactures THOUSANDS of thumbnail files from every video file I have on my phone. And I have several HUNDRED music videos and various other YouTube ripped clips stored on my phone. If left unchecked, it works my battery till its so hot that it will actually slow down and eventually STOP charging (usually at over 120?) before it even gets to full. I've seen that folder get as large as 1GB. OF JUST THUMBNAILS! Is there any was to stop or disable that service or the video preview feature? Cause I'm tired of it slowing down my phone from charging.

samurikuma1971

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
So my understanding is the video thumbnails are whats causing the battery drain and memory being maxed out on the internal memory. How do you combat this problem.

Nakarti

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I assume because I have noticed this problem since I got the S3 (previous phones didn't do video thumbs,) and it dies in every conversation, that the thumbnails are what gets uploaded to the NSA?
Because ** on me if I have ever seen one of these video thumbnails actually in use anywhere!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s