Galaxy S3 signal issue and Verizon support

MrHit

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issues here in Nashville. Calls get dropped. Also audio is phasing in and out. I've been to the Verizon store twice and called tech support. I'm a biz customer, so I have 30 days to return the phone--which I don't want to. Everything works great, except for phone calls. It is a phone, right?

Tech support tells me that they are getting a lot of calls about this issue, so they expect for Samsung to do a software update that will eliminate the issue--hopefully soon. I never had this problem with my Droid X. It was amazing. Usually had 5 bars at my house--and never had a dropped call in 2 years. The tech rep at the Verizon store asked me to do *228. I plan on doing that tonight when I get home.

We need to keep the pressure up to get the software update implemented.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issues here in Nashville. Calls get dropped. Also audio is phasing in and out. I've been to the Verizon store twice and called tech support. I'm a biz customer, so I have 30 days to return the phone--which I don't want to. Everything works great, except for phone calls. It is a phone, right?

Tech support tells me that they are getting a lot of calls about this issue, so they expect for Samsung to do a software update that will eliminate the issue--hopefully soon. I never had this problem with my Droid X. It was amazing. Usually had 5 bars at my house--and never had a dropped call in 2 years. The tech rep at the Verizon store asked me to do *228. I plan on doing that tonight when I get home.

We need to keep the pressure up to get the software update implemented.

That won't work with a 4G phone.

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth I live in a very rural area. (north Idaho, look it up on a map if you have to ha ha) up by the Canadian border. I get really good 4g which I never thought I would ever see until verizon was done rolling out their 4g network. My max speeds for 4g are around 20 mbps which is unreal for this area. (our average "high speed". Internet is less than 1.5 mbps it is awful/ completely useless compared to where I went to school in such a wired area.

I also came from a dinc and had good reception with it too. One thing to remember is that it is a 3g phone and the 4g is not as prevalent as the 3g signal so having better reception with a 3g phone makes sense to me. Simply because it is a stronger network.

I guess I should feel blessed if I get such good reception in the boonies. I even live in the middle of the mountains.

Who knows. Hope they fix the issues for everyone else. I love my s3 so far and wouldn't have it any other way. Looked seriously at the maxx but this phone had much more to offer I thought.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

anon(876956)

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Made an account just to say I'm also having these issues mainly with 3G. Just got phone last night and get 0.97 MB down and .40 MB up. Now according to the support I talked to they said its normal.

Yea right, and once again they show how worthless they are. Tried to explain to them my last phone, the one I still had yesterday got 2 - 4 MB down and 1 - 2 MB up. I live in a 3G area, -75 in phone settings all the time. When I do pick up 4G (A block away from my house...) I get 15 - 20 MB down and up.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Made an account just to say I'm also having these issues mainly with 3G. Just got phone last night and get 0.97 MB down and .40 MB up. Now according to the support I talked to they said its normal.

Yea right, and once again they show how worthless they are. Tried to explain to them my last phone, the one I still had yesterday got 2 - 4 MB down and 1 - 2 MB up. I live in a 3G area, -75 in phone settings all the time. When I do pick up 4G (A block away from my house...) I get 15 - 20 MB down and up.

.97 and .4 are normal speeds for Verizon 3g. There are a ton of different factors that go into those speeds, especially with a 3g network. Verizon's network can handle bursts of up to 3.1 down, but that's as fast as it can go and your average speeds will be less than half that.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon(876956)

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
.97 and .4 are normal speeds for Verizon 3g. There are a ton of different factors that go into those speeds, especially with a 3g network. Verizon's network can handle bursts of up to 3.1 down, but that's as fast as it can go and your average speeds will be less than half that.

Not normal for me when my past two phones got constant speeds of what I stated, all the time where I live.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Not normal for me when my past two phones got constant speeds of what I stated, all the time where I live.

You stated 2-4 when Verizon's 3g network can't even go faster than 3.1.

Also, you can't really compare two different phones with completely different radios.

eleeezy

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem with the galaxy nexus (all 7 of them) but this s3 has been stellar. I would have to say ita simply a defective unit.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone picking up a pattern here?

Samsung Droid Charge released May 2011. Terrible 4G reception and signal quality. Patch to fix it coming in July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, finally came in December. Took over 6 months. In my case it did really help signal, but I paid my bill in full for 6 months for partially working phone.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus released Dec 2011. Terrible 4G reception and signal quality (I bought the phone, couldn't get any data signal at my house where even the Charge was getting 4G, returned it). Verizon says update coming soon....didn't come until June 2012.

Samsung Galaxy S3 released July 2012. Many reporting signal issues. I bought the phone. Some 4G at my house, but mostly 3G where the Charge (after the update) got 4G. Love the phone, I can WiFi at the house and luckily have a tower outside my window at work, so great 4G. Verizon promising updates. This time they don't even say they are coming for another 3 months. Does anyone believe the SIII will see an update before December?

Samsung and Verizon are absolutely huge corporations. After the 2nd release wouldn't you at least send out a couple of people with the phones and see if they get as good of reception as the prior phones you released and had to update, and if not, update them before released. Why do we always have to pay full price and wait 6 months for the device to work properly? Doesn't matter I guess, instead of corporations and consumers it might as well be Lords and Serfs.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
verizon will warranty the phone for signal issues. It could just be a defective phone. After a few, verizon may let you switch to another phone like the maxx, assuming that the battery life is your main concern, which is supposed to have the best radio .

There are not that many reporting signal issues, compared to when the gnex first came out,at least from what I can tell.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I had a Charge and loved it. The last update that came out in June, ruined things for me. I even was sent out a replacement phone that was just as bad. Upgraded to the Nexus. This was even worse. After switching out sim cards, reactivating, and ultimately getting a new nexus, nothing changed. Returned the nexus, as I was still in the 14 day window, and got the S3. Signal is better than the Nexus, but still not where it should be. I have had atleast two incidents where I am on a call and we can't hear each other. The call doesn't disconnect, just can't hear each other until I move to a different spot, or one of us hangs up and tries the call again. Verizon has me now dialing *111 immediately after the call disconnects to track things for their techs. Mind you I live 3.17 miles from a tower and should not be having any issues with signal strength. I don't pay any attention to the bars, but to the db readings.

Kegs2015

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Just purchased the S3 today and signal is terrible. Love the phone otherwise. Pretty sad that I can't get better then one bar in the house or garage with the door open. Have to go out the street to make a call.

schrack3000

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My 4G signal has been consistently good with the SIII, as has the handoff between 3G and 4G. But, then again, I never had any of the signal problems with my G Nexus that so many people complained about. I guess I just got lucky.

dirtbiker0025

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Ive had good service since i owned the phone but tonight i can only get one bar or none. It justs started happening around 3am so im hoping its justr verizon doing maintenance on the service. but i do live in oahu and everything here is spotty.

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what is going on today, but my signal strength is worse than ever. In a strong 4g area, the best I have been getting is -105. It hasn't been great other times, but even then I was seeing anywhere from -90 to -100.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Either you are not in a strong signal area, or there is something wrong with your phone. I have seen signal strength in the 50s in strong signal area. .

I don't know what is going on today, but my signal strength is worse than ever. In a strong 4g area, the best I have been getting is -105. It hasn't been great other times, but even then I was seeing anywhere from -90 to -100.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej