Galaxy S4 Ocoto-Core or Dual Quad-Core?

crackcookie

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Until screens look like seeing through a window, are flexible, can change size from a label to a sheet of paper, give tactile feedback and generate more power then they consume, we are far from nearing what you can do with screen technology. Not being able to conceive what manufactures will do in 2 years time is your limitation, not the tech industry.

Not so fast, he has a valid point. X years ago, phones/movies/video games didn't look like real life. Now, they do.

I can play a basketball video game, and until you come up close or notice I pause it, you may not be able to tell if it is real or not.

Phones are kinda the same way, certain areas aren't MAXED out, but what I would call perfect. As in, there is no real noticeable difference that you could implement to make any significant improvement in that area.

And everything has that limit.....maybe, cars, at their current status have maxed out around 40 mpg. Maybe, a car with roller resistance can not get better mileage, but a car that hoovers off of the ground can.

That is what he is saying, 1080 is the standard for HD....and it has been met. So the next big upgrade, won't be in the graphics department....but in the radio, call quality (hasn't changed in a while) then the flexibility of the phone, then the durability....certain specs are maxing out or not worth investing in.

Would you pay for a SGN3 or SGS4....with no real improvement?

woolster22

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yard ago I did a report on carbon nanotubes and possible applications, one of them (this was in 06) was flexible screen technology. There were working prototypes then, and estimates of the technology being a decade out for consumers. This would open the floodgates in the area of form factor.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

rancineb

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I think the limit is hit on the current style of touch screen smart phones. Making them faster or bigger isn't inventing something new, just improving. The next big thing will be when a new type of phone is created. Example is the introduction of smartphones. Now we're just making them more powerful. I can't wait for the day where we can combine the idea of large screens and small phones and have something that can expand. With flexible screens, we could create something that can collapse to put in our pocket, but then expand when we want to use. Just look at some of the cool translucent screens you see in future/sci-fi movies. That's the next big thing, and I bet we're less then 10 years away from it.

BuyOneGetFour

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Latest rumor is that Nadya Suleman plans to sue Samsung if it uses the name Octocore.
She holds the right to all trade names that start with "Octo" anything.

xxLiquidX

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Quad core is more than enough. Really, most people don't need more than a dual core on a PC.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Latest rumor is that Nadya Suleman plans to sue Samsung if it uses the name Octocore.
She holds the right to all trade names that start with "Octo" anything.

There is no way. Octo is a prefix. If you can copyright/trademark a prefix then you need to scrap the whole patent system and start over.

Plus why would they name it something so generic?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

rancineb

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Looks like the new Galaxy S-Note. Come on flexible OLED. Let's get rolling.

I like the second one where the screen comes out the side.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Some more info here about the Exynos 5 Octa:
AnandTech - Samsung Details Exynos 5 Octa Architecture & Power at ISSCC '13

"At CES this year Samsung introduced the oddly named Exynos 5 Octa SoC, one of the first Cortex A15 SoCs to implement ARM's big.LITTLE architecture. Widely expected to be used in the upcoming Galaxy S 4, the Exynos 5 Octa integrates 4 ARM Cortex A7 cores and 4 ARM Cortex A15 cores on a single 28nm LP HK+MG die made at Samsung's own foundry. As we later discovered, the Exynos 5 Octa abandons ARM's Mali GPU for Imagination's PowerVR SGX 544MP3, which should give it GPU performance somewhere between an iPad 3 and iPad 4."

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Lol. You guys are expecting OctaCore in the S4, and yeah you'll get it - in the international version, maybe. Samsung isn't going to release octa core on any carrier models. They couldn't even get LTE to work on the S3- that's why the S3 uses SNAPDRAGON, not Exynos. No way Samsung is going this far. Honestly, you're expecting greatness and daring from a corporation that is dull and pragmatic.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Lol. You guys are expecting OctaCore in the S4, and yeah you'll get it - in the international version, maybe. Samsung isn't going to release octa core on any carrier models. They couldn't even get LTE to work on the S3- that's why the S3 uses SNAPDRAGON, not Exynos. No way Samsung is going this far. Honestly, you're expecting greatness and daring from a corporation that is dull and pragmatic.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

The Note 2's in the US have Exynos processors, and LTE works on those.