Question Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720T) Booting in Arabic After Factory Reset - Help?

RandyKing

Sep 21, 2023
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S4 phone that I'm using for a specialized application. It was running fine (yes, it's old) and I wanted to clear it out and start fresh. I did the factory reset and now it boots into device setup screens that are all in Arabic. I managed to muddle through and connect WiFi, but that's it. The screens get too complex for me to guess at after that.

How can I change the default setup language to English? Can I do this from firmware as it's booting? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20230920_173135432.jpg
    IMG_20230920_173135432.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I suspect that phone was originally intended for the Middle East, and is running a firmware specific to one of those countries. It's usually not too difficult to find the Languages system menu, even if it's in a language you don't understand. See if methodman89's link helps.

Reactions: J Dubbs

RandyKing

Sep 21, 2023
Visit site
Thank you. No, that post did not help, nor did any of the other things that I found online, because all of these assume that you have a fully operational Android with an accessible Settings app. Not the case with an out-of-box setup - you are forced through the menus.

HOWEVER, with all my fumbling, I touched an Arabic menu with a dropdown on the very first screen and - lo and behold - it was a list of languages. I managed to find "English", touched it, and all is well. :)

Attachments

• android-language.png
    android-language.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 5

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I was going to say, on the initial setup screen it gives you the option in a drop down menu to pick your language.... sorry I was a little late to the party 😉

You can also access accessibility options from that screen as well 👍

Reactions: B. Diddy