Galaxy S5: Bye-bye Home button?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Some rumors mention that Samsung will finally get rid of the physical Home button. It seems like a small change, but it could also be the kind of thing that could mean a lot to some people. Will anyone miss it? Will it be good riddance, or leave my clicky-thing alone?

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: S5: Bye-bye Home button?

Some rumors mention that Samsung will finally get rid of the physical Home button. It seems like a small change, but it could also be the kind of thing that could mean a lot to some people. Will anyone miss it? Will it be good riddance, or leave my clicky-thing alone?

I don't think it will be missed. It'll take awhile to adjust without the physical home button, but it's good change and will help the device keep a clean look.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'm using the nav bar on my S4. Disabled hardware buttons. Definitely would not miss them :p

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

When I shifted to the Moto X from the S3, I thought I would miss it. Yeah....right...I miss it, like I miss the stomach flu. They should ditch it. And adopt the layout that almost every other OEM has accepted. It will be easier on developers.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

When I shifted to the Moto X from the S3, I thought I would miss it. Yeah....right...I miss it, like I miss the stomach flu. They should ditch it. And adopt the layout that almost every other OEM has accepted. It will be easier on developers.

Yeah. No need for an options button when those can be setup on the screen. I hate holding the home button to look at recent apps now, don't know why they don't just go with the traditional Back, Home, Recents layout and put it on screen

Sent from my XT1056

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Yeah. No need for an options button when those can be setup on the screen. I hate holding the home button to look at recent apps now, don't know why they don't just go with the traditional Back, Home, Recents layout and put it on screen

Sent from my XT1056

I think they are shifting in that direction. The new Tabs are set up like that.

Azensun

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'd like to see (or not see!) that home button disappear. I think it would give it a cleaner look.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Ill miss it...I have a moto x and hate having my screen being used up all the time. What's the point of having a big screen if I can use it all.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mattyt1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I will miss it is because it makes it easy to know which way you are holding the phone without looking.

But I had a nexus for 2 years and I liked the plain black unassuming front

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I will miss it is because it makes it easy to know which way you are holding the phone without looking.

But I had a nexus for 2 years and I liked the plain black unassuming front
Makes sense. I typically grab the phone along the sides at the closest end. If I feel buttons (power/volume) then I know it's right-side-up. Otherwise, a quick flip is needed.

JoeyyNY

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I will miss the home button.. I find it way easier. (Never was a fan of On Screen buttons).

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Seemed like that was one of the issues with BlackBerry 10. No home button, and many people felt it wasn't intuitive to swipe/gesture? :/

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene