galaxy s5 camera lens cracked

Michael Watkins4

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
that sucks.

this happened to me a few weeks ago, screen shattered.....
bought a $5 replacement from ebay, fixed it yet has a few black spots stuck on the screen (shards of glass/dust)... and now the camera works but cannot focus, very frustrating so i will buy another replacement lens and try fully clear that dust and crap out... hopefully.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I definitely think it could have something to do with temperature change. The glass doesn't handle it very well. Mine is still doing okay after all these months but we will see. (And I've dropped mine a few times too). :confused:

khainguyen97

May 5, 2014
Visit site
You could replace it by yourself. There are videos on youtube that show how how to replace it. The replacement parts are cheap too.

Posted via the Android Central App

sherlock15

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I also got S5 on Friday about 5:30 and my lens was broke by saturday at 11 am. I did not drop it and it never left my otter box. Went to verizon and they told me my only option was to claim it on the insurance, I don't think so...too expensive to have this happen without any explanation. I am calling samsung to see what they can do for me. The only thing I can think of is that when the phone was in my purse and I put my keys in it, maybe my keys hit the camera lens. Still this shouldn't happen so easily. I had my HTC thunderbolt for 2 1/2 years and kept it in my purse without incident. Has anyone tried calling samsung to report their issues?

sherlock15

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Two months in, otterbox case, screen cracked overnight while not in use.
Called Samsung- they do not honor their products. Won't warranty the repair of the screen and said it's not defective. Last Samsung product I will ever purchase- going back to LG.

foodfan

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Need help, guys. I recently dropped my S5 and shattered the camera lens glass cover. The replacement I ordered on eBay turned out to be cheap plastic and does not allow the camera to focus. Can anyone recommend a specific replacement part/vendor selling real glass comparable to the original to restore camera focus? Please provide a link below. Much appreciated!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Need help, guys. I recently dropped my S5 and shattered the camera lens glass cover. The replacement I ordered on eBay turned out to be cheap plastic and does not allow the camera to focus. Can anyone recommend a specific replacement part/vendor selling real glass comparable to the original to restore camera focus? Please provide a link below. Much appreciated!
While I can't recommend such a vendor I would recommend sending the device into Samsung so you know it is done properly. It shouldn't take more than a couple weeks. While it's getting repaired you could audition a Moto G and if it works out and you want to keep the Moto G you'll have decent spare when your primary device comes back.

... just an alternative.

♻from the Note 4 📶

Matthew Webb4

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Glass is glass it breaks. These are no different then the other 50 android handsets that have glass covering the camera. Apple is smart and uses sapphire crystal which is much harder than gorilla glass or regular glass. Have people not realized glass breaks and is fragile?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Sapphire glass is scratch resistant but more sustainable to drops Samsung does use sapphire glass it's just the apple cameras have smaller surface area so you need to apply more pressure to break it Samsung's have a larger surface area so leas pressure to crack or break it. My camera lens broke and I've never dropped my phone

Mark Vasquez

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I did not drop it. It was in the Otterbox Defender case and in the holster for the case. The angle of the opening on the Defender case is very steep on the sides and looks like is directing objects right towards the edge of the lens glass.

Posted via Android Central App

Mine broke when in pocket with my keys, only 20 hours after I got it. 200 bucks to fix through at&t. Mine was the s6 active version didn't think I needed a case. The s5 active I had before no issues. Never had an issue before and I've had over 20 different phones in my poctets over the years. I've always had a Cell phone since they were big and you had to Cary a case around the size of 3 bricks and a phone cord to a hansdset. No joke

G2015

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I had mine for about 27 hours when I realized my camera lens glass was broken. I got it Friday morning and it was broken by noon on Saturday. I went into my T-Mobile store so my brother could get a new phone and when I was going to show him my phone I realized the lens cover was shattered. It wasn't that way when I entered the store.

Have a workaround of sorts. I have an old Samsung Galaxy S3. I have found out that I can take pictures with that camera, store the pictures onto a storage card, then insert the storage card into my S5 and upload them to the phone.

Last edited:

notyourgirl

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
mmmmmm you realize this phone's glass was supposed to be shatter-proof, right? The idea is great, but obviously samsung didn't think the camera lens cover needed to be shatter-proof as well. So yea, broken glass from a what is supposed to be shatter-proof glass is unheard of.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54