Galaxy S5 Neo poor camera performance

andersz

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I hope it is okay that I post in this thread regarding the performance of the camera on my Galaxy S5 Neo. I got this phone on Thursday and it is supposed to replace my Galaxy S4 Plus. When it comes to performance I really like the phone for my usage area (not playing games). But even if the camera seems to do okay in the reviews I have come across my cameras are unable to take a decent shot.

I have set the camera to auto, held it steady, bumped up the resolution and tapped to focus on the object. But it does not help. Every picture looks almost like an oiled painting filled with artifacts. It gets better if I use the flash but not enough. Please look at the sample shorts below (taken with and without flash).

Have I received a faulty unit or is this what I can expect out of this camera?

uploadfromtaptalk1451747253555.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1451747263706.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1451747272941.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1451747281610.jpg

GeeKraft HD

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
The Galaxy S5 Neo camera is better than average, and expect a little "grain" indoors, which is a side effect of bumped ISO, for more light. When you use the flash, the scene gets brighter, so ISO can go down, removing "oilpaint artifacts".

I'm gonna recommend night mode when indoors or at night, which will widen the shutter and letting it stay open for longer, which will bring more light in the camera.

This is completely normal behavior for a camera in that range, and you don't have a defected unit. The regular S5 has a slightly better camera, but your camera is still better than average. Stick to night mode, and use noise removal in post processing, and you should be just fine. :)

s5neoman

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site
I have this phone also, I was expecting better from the front facing camera, ts not much better than my S3 one although to be fair in low light it is marginally and is where the F1.9 lens pays off.

Is it just my S5 Neo, when I tap to selective focus I only get a solid white circle?

I was expecting a beep or change colour of the white circle to confirm it has locked the focus like older models?

Richard Brown49

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
The Galaxy S5 Neo camera is better than average, and expect a little "grain" indoors, which is a side effect of bumped ISO, for more light. When you use the flash, the scene gets brighter, so ISO can go down, removing "oilpaint artifacts".

I'm gonna recommend night mode when indoors or at night, which will widen the shutter and letting it stay open for longer, which will bring more light in the camera.

This is completely normal behavior for a camera in that range, and you don't have a defected unit. The regular S5 has a slightly better camera, but your camera is still better than average. Stick to night mode, and use noise removal in post processing, and you should be just fine. :)
There is no night mode on the Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001