Galaxy S6 Will Not Power Off Or Boot

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My phone was working fine, until this happened. It hasn't been dropped nor did it get wet, and it'a always been in an Otter Box case. I no longer use this phone as a phone, but strictly as a Bluetooth player. Anyway, it was caught in an endless boot cycle. It powers on, displays the Galaxy S6 logo, then the screen goes black. It repeated this a few times and then the screen goes black and the light in the upper left corner is blue, cycling between bright and dim. It is warm to the touch, it cannot be powered off even while holding the power button down for a long time. If I hold the volume down button and the power button down while it is plugged in it gets to the Galaxy S6 screen, then a blue screen with the android and it says it's updating. But then it goes black again. The last time, just moments ago, this method brought up the menu where I could reset it to factory settings (wiping out the data) so I did that. A few false reboots later it actually got to the point where it displayed the Sprint logo, and then the "welcome" screen. But after getting as far as entering the wifi password it rebooted again. It did this a few times then I managed to power it off before it rebooted itself.

Oh, and the entire time it was very warm to the touch, so the CPU must have been working hard.

And that's where I am now! Is there any hope for this phone, or does it have a fatal hardware issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's probably either a failing battery or motherboard. You'd have to bring it to a repair shop for further diagnosis.