Galaxy S7: Flashing stock firmware - how to get HOME_CSC?

Wingnutbob

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site
Hi there,

I have a Galaxy S7 SM-G930A that's stuck in a boot loop. I've already tried soft resets and wiping the cache partition several times. When I do the recovery boot, I get the "Installing system update" screen, followed by the "No command" screen, followed by the recovery boot menu with a following printed at the bottom:

#fail to open recovery_cause(no such file or directory)#
#Reboot Recovery Cause is [UNKNOWN]#
No Support SINGLE-SKU

I have *not* tried a factory reset yet, because I'm first trying to find a way to fix it without erasing the user data, and I understand from other threads that this may be possible by flashing the stock firmware using Odin - but only if I select a file called "HOME_CSC" or "CSC_HOME" instead of the regular CSC file.

The problem is, none of the firmware downloads I can find online seem to have the HOME CSC file. Do I just need to keep looking? Is there some reason that I'm never going to find one? Or is there some other way forward?

Thanks a ton for any help. I've never flashed Android firmware before - just learning all of this from research I've done today

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

Download Frija tool from xda Forum and odin from xda Forum
Extract both with 7zip on your pc
Open frija put your model number and csc or region code then download the firmware
SamMobile website hase the firmwares also
To save data use Home CSC , CSC will factory reset your device if still happening then you will factory reset with CSC option no other choice.
You might have to download older ODin but try latest , use a good known cable and put the device in download mode

Wingnutbob

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

Download Frija tool from xda Forum and odin from xda Forum
Extract both with 7zip on your pc
Open frija put your model number and csc or region code then download the firmware
SamMobile website hase the firmwares also
To save data use Home CSC , CSC will factory reset your device if still happening then you will factory reset with CSC option no other choice.
You might have to download older ODin but try latest , use a good known cable and put the device in download mode

Thanks! Tried the SamMobile site but couldn't get it to look up my model. Kept saying "no results" or something and wouldn't even let me select the country. I'll try Frija next if the link from Edox doesn't work.

Is there anything that can go wrong that would result in the data being lost, *other than* selecting the regular CSC file instead of Home CSC?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks! Tried the SamMobile site but couldn't get it to look up my model. Kept saying "no results" or something and wouldn't even let me select the country. I'll try Frija next if the link from Edox doesn't work.

Is there anything that can go wrong that would result in the data being lost, *other than* selecting the regular CSC file instead of Home CSC?
CSC will factory reset
Home CSC will keep data
Home CSC might not work if your device is hard brick

Wingnutbob

Jan 31, 2022
Visit site

MNMobileGuy

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Because any firmware can work if u cant get Att firmware
1. You didn't tell him that. Your instructions said to put "YOUR model number and region". So he would have had no idea to download G930T or G930V, etc.
2. Even so, crossflashing to another model would require a factory reset, and the poster has specifically said that he wants to avoid that

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
1. You didn't tell him that. Your instructions said to put "YOUR model number and region". So he would have had no idea to download G930T or G930V, etc.
2. Even so, crossflashing to another model would require a factory reset, and the poster has specifically said that he wants to avoid that
We didn't get that far yet where he communicating about firja , i explained it it can factory reset .

Look iv been doing this for quite some time in the forums helping countless people stuck.on Samsung devices , do search in Forums and look at many stickies i have left / plus nany PM ive helped so no need to assume i dont know what I'm talking , you on the other hand havnt seen through the years with people getting stuck with Samsung device until recently , maybe you helped outside the forum i dont know.

But if you want help no problem just dont question me ..thanks

MNMobileGuy

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
We didn't get that far yet where he communicating about firja , i explained it it can factory reset .

Look iv been doing this for quite some time in the forums helping countless people stuck.on Samsung devices , do search in Forums and look at many stickies i have left / plus nany PM ive helped so no need to assume i dont know what I'm talking , you on the other hand havnt seen through the years with people getting stuck with Samsung device until recently , maybe you helped outside the forum i dont know.

But if you want help no problem just dont question me ..thanks
We're a business that performs software-related services for customers from all over the world, every single day - and have been for almost 10 years. Since we are trained in it and it is our full-time job, we know a lot more about flashing than you do, just as you know much more about whatever your full-time job is than we do. So yes, we will always question when someone gives incorrect information to a poster who is coming looking for help

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
We're a business that performs software-related services for customers from all over the world, every single day - and have been for almost 10 years. Since we are trained in it and it is our full-time job, we know a lot more about flashing than you do, just as you know much more about whatever your full-time job is than we do. So yes, we will always question when someone gives incorrect information to a poster who is coming looking for help
Cool , like i said you can help but please dont question me , ive shown through the years here and now what ive done with help on flashing Samsung , thank you .
Now we can move forward and help OP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54