Galaxy Tab 3 7" - Is it a good tablet????

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Having never seen a kid's edition, I wonder if they're running 4.2.2 or the same 4.1.2 that I've been doomed with until Samsung brings the goods.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 3 via tin cans and string.

I have seen the kids edition, Toys R Us sells it, and I don't remember if there is an IR blaster however I oddly did check the version and it was 4.1 I do believe.

Posted from the Android Central App via my BlackBerry Q10!

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Having never seen a kid's edition, I wonder if they're running 4.2.2 or the same 4.1.2 that I've been doomed with until Samsung brings the goods.

Last I saw one a few months ago it was running on 4.1.2.

Posted from the Android Central App via my BlackBerry Q10!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so I checked my sister's WiFi version and it does have the IR blaster and the WatchOn app.

I actually tested it, it works. It has Android 4.1.2.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I finally got mine from the house, spent time doing a lot of my downloads and setup before I left out. Having quite a good time with it.

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I finally got mine from the house, spent time doing a lot of my downloads and setup before I left out. Having quite a good time with it.

It really is a pretty enjoyable little Tab for the cost and casual use. I don't know what my main tablet is anymore as I have and have gone through many, but I generally am pleased with the cost to functionality ratio. ;)

Plus, it is a great eReader, awesome for controlling my Chromecast, and the size being slimmer than my PlayBook fits even better in the pocket with expandable storage.

Sent from my Sprint Tab 3

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
It really is a pretty enjoyable little Tab for the cost and casual use. I don't know what my main tablet is anymore as I have and have gone through many, but I generally am pleased with the cost to functionality ratio. ;)

Plus, it is a great eReader, awesome for controlling my Chromecast, and the size being slimmer than my PlayBook fits even better in the pocket with expandable storage.

Definitely! :D:thumbup:

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I was gonna put the 16 GB card from my phone into the Tab, but unfortunately, it seems to be toast. Oh, well, an excuse to get a bigger card!

As for the size, it fits my cargo pockets perfectly, and isn't too heavy to carry around at all.
I'm really enjoying the experience.

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I was gonna put the 16 GB card from my phone into the Tab, but unfortunately, it seems to be toast. Oh, well, an excuse to get a bigger card!

As for the size, it fits my cargo pockets perfectly, and isn't too heavy to carry around at all.

Sorry about your SD card. Have you checked it in a computer or have you tried to reformat it?

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

I was on Amazon the other day and got a 64 GB card for $35. Now they are back up to $49 sadly. But still a decent price.

Edit:

Just realized I included an address in that screenshot so please don't send me letter bombs lol.

Samsung 64GB PLUS Micro SDXC with Adapter - up to 48MB/s - UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MPCGCA/AM):Amazon:Computers & Accessories

Attachments

• IMG_00000345.png
    IMG_00000345.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 18

ungibbed

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site

I loved the PlayBook!

I've always been looking for the best feature set I could on a smaller tablet. When the PlayBook first released, I already had a BB Bold 9700 with a solid 3G connection and having Bridge mode was a wonderful feature and being able to type on my PlayBook using the keyboard on my BlackBerry phone was a nice feature.

The PlayBook 2.0 update should have been everything that the tablet RIM originally shipped which really have had killed such a great device at what could have been a amazing new beast that RIM that would have shaken up the tablet market years back. I wish I would have kept it. I loved the video capture quality on it.

Fast forward to today...

Now today, the Tab 3 seems to be a wonderful value and provides a lot of bang for the buck. Far more than I really expected. Even a decent machine for a good game or two in AirAttack or a perfect size screen for a bejeweled addiction.

As for the features of the WiFi only model like mine, having a dedicated GPS and IR blaster were interesting extras in this price range. I can honestly say after my two months with this little guy, my iPad 2 has seen far less use other than games, web browsing, and my iTunes movies I've stored on it.

The same and a few more PIM features such as managing my email and other things on the go using my iPhone as a WiFi hot spot as needed and with LTE coverage. It makes the Tab 3 7.0 a great choice if gaming isn't your primary needs for a tablet.

If I pick up a new Galaxy S5, T-Mobile has an offer of a Tab 3 as a freebie but still unsure if I want an S5 or not as I haven't had a single issue with my iPhone and I am pretty much a Mac guy. I just love gadgets and this Tab 3 even as a impulse buy, I have not a single bit of buyers remorse with this tablet. Samsung has done a decent job but I am disappointed at the removal of the floating windowed apps of the Tab 2 7.0 and no rear camera upgrade over the previous model is also a bummer. I would have loved a 5MP unit with autofocus with a flash.

I can see Samsung not wanting to cannibalize sales of the Galaxy Note which has much improved optics. But "Phablet" vs. a entry level tablet, the costs have to be cut somewhere. At least the camera on the rear of my Tab 3 is far superior than my iPad 2.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
HSN has it for 189.95 with a nice bundle and flex payments.wifi. no contract

Posted from my awesome Note3

Yea, sounds like a good deal but I'm not really sold for some reason.
I guess because I already have the more powerful LTE version. Already have Netflix and don't really need the case. But that's just me.

ungibbed

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Yea, sounds like a good deal but I'm not really sold for some reason.
I guess because I already have the more powerful LTE version. Already have Netflix and don't really need the case. But that's just me.

I almost caved in just for the unique color and bundle as my neighbor bought that same limited edition bundle for the Tab 2. Everything is the same color aside from a black power supply brick included in the box with the Tab 2 limited edition.

I was the one who set it all up for him and aside from the deep metallic finish that really stands out but since I already have a white Tab 3, I held off despite a really tempting bundle.

I'm still hoping to see KitKat on the WiFi Tab 3 soon as this is now my daily workhorse and despite the nice impulse buy price on the HSN bundle, I have all the same gear with my white Tab 3 7.0 and spent a bit more, I really feel I've gotten my money's worth considering the budget minded design of the WiFi Tab 3 7.0"

A quick question though.

Does the LTE model really have a major jump in performance to consider a purchase of one after owning the WiFi version of the Galaxy Tab 3 7.0

I just got my preorder call for the Galaxy S5 last night so I may keep it or review it and then sell it online and stick with my iPhone 5 with that money. Then the thought came...

What and when might be inside the possible Galaxy Tab 4?

Anyone willing to hazard a guess? I'd love to see a usable camera (5MP minimum with autofocus and a flash. Hopefully with the same live filters and effects that were on the Galaxy S3 phone with HDR) to take and share quality auction photos and upload to Dropbox or email to potential clients.

16GB minimum storage on device with 2GB of RAM while retaining the MicroSD expansion slot, pre-loaded with Android "Kit Kat" 4.4.4 being an absolute must.

The Tab 4 specs are a realistic wish list and would have me considering an upgrade if such a device was accessible at the same price point of the current Tab 3

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I almost caved in just for the unique color and bundle as my neighbor bought that same limited edition bundle for the Tab 2. Everything is the same color aside from a black power supply brick included in the box with the Tab 2 limited edition.

I was the one who set it all up for him and aside from the deep metallic finish that really stands out but since I already have a white Tab 3, I held off despite a really tempting bundle.

I'm still hoping to see KitKat on the WiFi Tab 3 soon as this is now my daily workhorse and despite the nice impulse buy price on the HSN bundle, I have all the same gear with my white Tab 3 7.0 and spent a bit more, I really feel I've gotten my money's worth considering the budget minded design of the WiFi Tab 3 7.0"

A quick question though.

Does the LTE model really have a major jump in performance to consider a purchase of one after owning the WiFi version of the Galaxy Tab 3 7.0

I just got my preorder call for the Galaxy S5 last night so I may keep it or review it and then sell it online and stick with my iPhone 5 with that money. Then the thought came...

What and when might be inside the possible Galaxy Tab 4?

Anyone willing to hazard a guess? I'd love to see a usable camera (5MP minimum with autofocus and a flash. Hopefully with the same live filters and effects that were on the Galaxy S3 phone with HDR) to take and share quality auction photos and upload to Dropbox or email to potential clients.

16GB minimum storage on device with 2GB of RAM while retaining the MicroSD expansion slot, pre-loaded with Android "Kit Kat" 4.4.4 being an absolute must.

The Tab 4 specs are a realistic wish list and would have me considering an upgrade if such a device was accessible at the same price point of the current Tab 3

I know exactly what you mean on that first part.

On your question, my sister and her husband got the WiFi version and testing both; theirs and mine side by side, mine is faster overall.

I still think both are great but I had the opportunity to get the LTE version and went for it!

I also hope the tab 4 brings a lot more to the table. I'm not sure if I'll bite the bullet since we have 2 WebOS PalmPads (hp TouchPads) and the GT3 already.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz