Galaxy Tab A7 Lite - 'double tap to unlock' question

PaulGor

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I can make calls and receive calls (SIM card with phone number; Phone app) BUT there is a very annoying problem:
When i try to make or answer a call, a dark gray screen pops up over the whole dialing screen with a padlock icon and the words "double tap to unlock".

Related question: does my tablet have proximity sensor? As on internet some one says that the above pop-up is due to the absence of the sensor and this way device protects me from accidentally press something...
Based on these pages, my tablet does have proximity sensor and thus the above is not a root cause for the problem:
https://tektechy.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-a7-lite/ proximity sensor: yes
https://rounded.com/samsung-galaxy-...roximity-sensor-module-gh81-20659a.html?sl=en

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just tested my SM-T220 (wi-fi only Tab A7 lite) with the Device Info HW app (favored by YouTuber SMOOREZ), and it did not show any proximity sensor present.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
"When i try to make or answer a call, a dark gray screen pops up over the whole dialing screen with a padlock icon and the words "double tap to unlock".

Do you have biometric, pin, password?

Samsung has double tap to wake the screen or lock screen .

PaulGor

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I just tested it did not show any proximity sensor present.

Thanks for the idea - I just tested (Samsung Members Diagnostic) - yep, no proximity sensor.
So that "double tap to unlock" really could be related to that fact, right? If so, is it known what system service is responsible for such over-protecting (to avoid accidental touches)? I would disable that...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the idea - I just tested (Samsung Members Diagnostic) - yep, no proximity sensor.
So that "double tap to unlock" really could be related to that fact, right? If so, is it known what system service is responsible for such over-protecting (to avoid accidental touches)? I would disable that...

You're correct, the "double tap to unlock" typically shows up in phones without a proximity sensor. If a phone doesn't have a proximity sensor, it won't know if the phone is up against a person's ear, and so there would be a high chance of the user's ear or face causing unintentional screen touches. Locking the screen as soon as a call is picked up or initiated is intended to protect against unintentional touches. Obviously, a tablet is not really meant to be put up against the ear when using it for calls, but I suspect the Samsung engineers didn't really think about this scenario, and just ported over the main Phone app to the tablet.

I'm not sure if there's a way to disable it. There might be some kind of hack, but the forums at XDA-Developers.com would be a better resource for that kind of thing. Otherwise, try using speakerphone on the tablet, since that should disable the double-tap prompt (since if you're using speakerphone, you wouldn't be putting the device up to your ear).

PaulGor

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
try using speakerphone on the tablet, since that should disable the double-tap prompt (since if you're using speakerphone, you wouldn't be putting the device up to your ear).

You mean find speakerphone button in the call pop-up or somewhere permanently (where?)?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of the Phone app itself -- does the double-tap screen come up immediately after you dial the number, or are you able to select Speakerphone first? If not, then you may be stuck with double-tapping first.

PaulGor

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking of the Phone app itself -- does the double-tap screen come up immediately after you dial the number, or are you able to select Speakerphone first? If not, then you may be stuck with double-tapping first.

Yes, it comes immediately,so I am stuck (many people experience that, i.e. this poor woman cries for help in
androidforums.com)

Following your advice I posted in XDA-Developers.com - if developers know what system service is doing that over-protection (it's like "you cannot drive to work as you could accidentally switch lanes on freeway and be in trouble" :) ) -
then I could use Package Disabler to stop such service...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it comes immediately,so I am stuck (many people experience that, i.e. this poor woman cries for help in
androidforums.com)

Following your advice I posted in XDA-Developers.com - if developers know what system service is doing that over-protection (it's like "you cannot drive to work as you could accidentally switch lanes on freeway and be in trouble" :) ) -
then I could use Package Disabler to stop such service...

Good idea. I would also send feedback to Samsung via the Samsung Members app about this.

C Rogers

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This isn't a permanent solution, but I've found that if you connect to a bluetooth headset, this problem goes away. Depending on where you're making your calls, this is the polite thing to do anyway, and has the advantage of being a much better experience than shouting into the tablet microphone.

Hope it helps!

Reactions: PaulGor

PaulGor

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
This isn't a permanent solution, but I've found that if you connect to a bluetooth headset, this problem goes away. Depending on where you're making your calls, this is the polite thing to do anyway, and has the advantage of being a much better experience than shouting into the tablet microphone.

Hope it helps!
For some reason I saw your answer only yesterday. Yes, it works, no "double-tap-to-unlock"!
Also, I've just decided to try, instead of my bluetooth headphones, to use regular small 'in-ear' ones as my tablet has 3mm jack. Works too - no double-tap messages!
Big thanks!