Galaxy Tab? Adapter (USB)

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I bought a USB from Samsung.. connected it to my 10.1 Tab with a flash drive that had pictures and text on it... and ZIP nada nada nada... I'm being told two things....That the flash I have.. (Scandisk) has some (apps) on it and it can't be read... I was told to get a PNY flash and it should work, and then I'm told the "update" for that won't be until late summer.. If the update isn't out by THIS FRIDAY.. I'm taking the unit back.. All of the lit. that comes with the box says nothing about a "non app" flash drive, it says I can use it on other usb devices.. not nada nada.. so What's up Samsung on this one? I waited exactly One month for this device.. I will not wait more than 48 more hours.. sorry.. this is a bigee especially since Xoom got the 3.2 yesterday that activated their SD card slots...

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
rw: when you plug the flash drive in, are you using any type of file explorer to view the contents or just waiting for some sort of notification? There should be a notification, but I would still suggest using a file explorer to check if it is connecting or not. A popular one is File Manager HD. It will be listed under the /sdcard directory

Reactions: ashishb

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Kevin:.. I tried the File Mangager HD app.. it did not list "SD card directory" the light comes on the flash.. and you are right.. it should have some sort of noitfication at least an icon at the bottom but nothing.. nada nada nada and no support from Samsung. I called yesterday and discussed and they said they would "research" it.. they knew it was a problem.. and as of yet .. no answer.. if they wait until the end of the summer. I know a lot of customers that will be unhappy with that and will begin returing tablets.. they really need to fix this TODAY!!!! NOT JUST FOR ME EITHER ..

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
All I can think to say is the flash drive isn't compatible. I have read others that haven't had any problems connecting USB devices with the adapter

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
You are correct.. The connector is VERY Flash drive specific.. it will not read from a flash that has an app on it like scandisc... a Lexar works and a PNY.. Thanks for your input.. I find it odd Samsung Support did not know this .

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I bought a USB from Samsung.. connected it to my 10.1 Tab with a flash drive that had pictures and text on it... and ZIP nada nada nada... I'm being told two things....That the flash I have.. (Scandisk) has some (apps) on it and it can't be read... I was told to get a PNY flash and it should work, and then I'm told the "update" for that won't be until late summer.. If the update isn't out by THIS FRIDAY.. I'm taking the unit back.. All of the lit. that comes with the box says nothing about a "non app" flash drive, it says I can use it on other usb devices.. not nada nada.. so What's up Samsung on this one? I waited exactly One month for this device.. I will not wait more than 48 more hours.. sorry.. this is a bigee especially since Xoom got the 3.2 yesterday that activated their SD card slots...

Is your Sandisk thumbdrive encrypted/password protected? My macbook (and the Asus Transformer) had problems loading protected Sandisk drives. Unprotected drives were no problem.

Reactions: ashishb

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Someone on XDA has made a DIY version of the USB adapter and everything works fine, so you shouldn't need the TW update, even though I remember reading that on the information page as well...

rw0749, plugging in a flash drive doesn't connect to the Tab?

Is he selling them? Whats the linky?

Thanks

You are correct.. The connector is VERY Flash drive specific.. it will not read from a flash that has an app on it like scandisc... a Lexar works and a PNY.. Thanks for your input.. I find it odd Samsung Support did not know this .

So you cant have apk files on your flash drive or are you saying that USB drives that come with their own software dont work? Meaning you have to format the USB drive to have it work with the tablet?

Sorry just needed a bit clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So you cant have apk files on your flash drive or are you saying that USB drives that come with their own software dont work? Meaning you have to format the USB drive to have it work with the tablet?

Sorry just needed a bit clarification.

I believe by app, he/they meant program - not an apk. Most likely something meant to run on a pc.

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
It is working now that I began using a USB Flash that did not have any "apps" on it.. you know like the ones scandisc puts on to "protect" your system etc.. PNK is a clean flash, as well as several others.. works very slick.....Nice accessory to the Tab for uploading word files, Power point presentations, videos, pictures or PDF files to Quick office.. which was free with the tab.

Reactions: Seven2k

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It is working now that I began using a USB Flash that did not have any "apps" on it.. you know like the ones scandisc puts on to "protect" your system etc.. PNK is a clean flash, as well as several others.. works very slick.....Nice accessory to the Tab for uploading word files, Power point presentations, videos, pictures or PDF files to Quick office.. which was free with the tab.

Cool thanks for the clarification to my chopped up question :). Can you play a video or music directly from it?

Sorry to bug you about it but i just ordered the USB adapter and I have a 16gb USB flash drive seating here not doing anything.

lens pirate

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Agree 100 percent:

Issue resolved:

The SGT 10.1 and USB adapter is unable to use SOME flash drives. Drives with utility partitions like Scandisk cruiser drives will not work. The CDFS partitions prevents the SGT 10.1 from mounting the Drive.

I tried a PNY, Generic drive from staples and both work perfectly.

Also all of this works on the keyboard port as well. Currently I have the Keyboard, a Bluetooth mouse and a flash drive all up and running.

(helpful tip: Start with the SGT turn off. Mount all items you wish to use then turn it on. Plug and pay is sort of buggy once the SGT is booted)

So to recap. The USB adapter is working fine with supported hardware like cameras,
some flash drives, USB mice.

It will not work with some items like external USB hard drives that are powered from the USB port for obvious reasons.

kyopoboy

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the noob question, but I'm trying to determine what the utility I would gain from having this adapter. Is it simply to be able to connect a flash usb for xfring files? I typically just dropbox or manually connect it to my other computer to xfr files.

What would be wicked would be to be able to use the LTE USB data card I have from work to get connectivity, but I'm guessing that's not possible. I guess I'll just have to get them to give me a LTE hotspot instead.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The gain from this adapter is expandable storage. You could, say, store movies on a flash drive or portable hd, and watch them by connecting with the adapter

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Any format that the Tab recognizes should work just fine. It connects the drive as if it were a second internal drive, so you can use it as you would your normal internal drive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bongo