Galaxy watch bezel turns hard.

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Its not turning as easy as when I first got it so I think it might have some build up under the rotator. What's the best way to clean under the bezel and keep it clean?

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
You might do a search on here. I know I read about it somewhere. Have you tried showering with it on(do not press buttons)?
Its not turning as easy as when I first got it so I think it might have some build up under the rotator. What's the best way to clean under the bezel and keep it clean?

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
No I haven't tried showering with it. Last I knew electronics and water didn't mix.
The Galaxy is certified water resistant. It is fine for bathing or normal swimming. To be safe you can set water lock mode on that blocks unintended actions. They tell you not to press buttons in water but otherwise it's fine. There is even an eject water feature under the water lock setting that ejects water out of the mic and speaker. It seems to me the procedure to free up the dial was water. But I will see if I can find it

Specs for waterproof

has an IP68/MIL STD-810g waterproof rating and it is waterproof up to 50 ATM.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
All of the unofficial comments I can find say to use lukewarm water or shower with it making sure it gets sufficiently wet. One said submerge it briefly then turn it back and forth. Just make sure you have the original band on and not a leather one. If you are unsure though, call Samsung support. It never hurts to be safe with the price of one of these.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
All of the unofficial comments I can find say to use lukewarm water or shower with it making sure it gets sufficiently wet. One said submerge it briefly then turn it back and forth. Just make sure you have the original band on and not a leather one. If you are unsure though, call Samsung support. It never hurts to be safe with the price of one of these.

Mine did this exact thing, running it under lukewarm water while turning the bezel fixed it. That was 3 months ago, still working good.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy is certified water resistant. It is fine for bathing or normal swimming. To be safe you can set water lock mode on that blocks unintended actions. They tell you not to press buttons in water but otherwise it's fine. There is even an eject water feature under the water lock setting that ejects water out of the mic and speaker. It seems to me the procedure to free up the dial was water. But I will see if I can find it

Specs for waterproof

has an IP68/MIL STD-810g waterproof rating and it is waterproof up to 50 ATM.

I am anxious to try the watch in water. Do you always keep your watch on when you shower?

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I am anxious to try the watch in water. Do you always keep your watch on when you shower?
No. Sometimes I use that time to give it a quick charge. It depends on charge level and the band I have on. I have showered and washed dishes with it on with the stock band. I always use the water eject feature afterwards.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No. Sometimes I use that time to give it a quick charge. It depends on charge level and the band I have on. I have showered and washed dishes with it on with the stock band. I always use the water eject feature afterwards.

Awesome tip on the water eject feature. Thank you.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Mine did this exact thing, running it under lukewarm water while turning the bezel fixed it. That was 3 months ago, still working good.

Thought I would update, mine still gets stiff to turn every once in a while, but it seems to be getting more frequent. Running it under lukewarm water still fixes it, just have to do it more often. It does not get in water any other time.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
THIS WORKED FOR ME. EASY AND SIMPLE .
https://youtu.be/FkqI9QI-OAc

I did this method as well. I was curious when the guy said to also push down with pressure and twist the bezel. I did that and I did get some improvement, but the stuff that came out kind of scared me that I may have been damaging something, LOL.

I watched another video showing how to repair the bezel by replacing the o-ring then springs and ball bearings. I don't understand what the hell the black stuff is that came out? Mine has always felt like it was grinding when rotating counter clockwise.

Attachments

• 30654.jpg
    30654.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 23

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I did this method as well. I was curious when the guy said to also push down with pressure and twist the bezel. I did that and I did get some improvement, but the stuff that came out kind of scared me that I may have been damaging something, LOL.

I watched another video showing how to repair the bezel by replacing the o-ring then springs and ball bearings. I don't understand what the hell the black stuff is that came out? Mine has always felt like it was grinding when rotating counter clockwise.

Not sure what that is, but when I run mine under lukewarm water I DO NOT push down, that doesn't seem right. And it fixes it every time.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
When you see a video on how to replace the o ring, springs and ball bearings, you'll see the recessed areas under the bezel where the nylon o ring drops down into these pockets. This is how the ratcheting effect is created. In those pockets are black...for lack of better words, stickers which sort of line the pocket (assuming to prolong the life of the o ring notches. Anyway, my guess is, the edge of one of those stickers had peeled up and was catching on the o ring when rotating counter clockwise, sort of peeling it up, but if I rotated the opposite direction, it would push the sticker back down and all was well. When I did that, I must have torn a piece of the sticker that kept catching the bottom side of the o ring.

It's nice to know we can buy the replacement kit for around $10 (o ring, ball bearings and springs) and the video shows it taking only a few minutes.

akw6368

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I have a simple fix that works great. Go to Home Depot and get a can of Quick Drying Electrical Contact Cleaner (it is safe for all plastics and metals). Turn your watch on edge and spray the lip where the bezel sits on the top of the watch. Then turn the dial several times in all directions. Make sure you let the fluid seep under the rotating bezel. Wipe off the excess. It lubricates and cleans at the same time. I also spray the power plug connection on my Note 9 when it gets dirty with dust and lint and stops working. Electrical contact cleaner is the only safe item to use when cleaning and lubricating electrical contacts in any device.

Reactions: Just TM