Gamestop offering 32 GB nexus 7 Refurbed for $179, deal?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds pretty good, but I'd want to inspect it thoroughly before I actually paid. Look for screen lift, see if you can turn it on and test out if it's laggy at all, maybe test out the Bluetooth.

If they don't let you test it, make sure you find out what the return policy is.

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
My other question is if the one year warranty from Google is transferable. If so it might still be under warranty if any parts failed. Buy a referb, file VALID warranty claim, get new (or Google refurbished) Nexus 7. Profit???

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Email Google and ask if their policies allow you to rip them off that way.

Not to say you don't make a valid point, but google has already made their money and is obligated to uphold their end of the bargain. I'm just a bit curious why you say they're being ripped off. No snark or condescension from me, just curious.

Sent from my Samsung Proclaim using the AC forums app.

parchping

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, but strongly suspect that the warranty is only to the original purchaser. I also suspect the fine print on refurb devices says no warranty.
I think they'd be nuts to set it up any other way.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Not to say you don't make a valid point, but google has already made their money and is obligated to uphold their end of the bargain. I'm just a bit curious why you say they're being ripped off. No snark or condescension from me, just curious.

Sent from my Samsung Proclaim using the AC forums app.

It depends on who is doing the refurbishing. Google may have received these as returns, refurbished them but been unable to make them like new again, and sold them at a lower cost without a warranty. Or GameStop might have taken them as return/exchange units and Google authorized a partial refund instead of sending them back, allowing GameStop to clear them out rather than shipping them back to Google.

Both would mean that Google is not considering these new-unit sales any more and the serial number does not have a warranty entitlement any more.

It's rare for a refurb to have a manufacturer's warranty. Not unheard of, but rare.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'd say grab it and it square trade. That what I did with my Flyer. It was a refurbished model too, 90 day warranty, but I grabbed a square trade for $30 which covered it a year. Should still make it a good deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it doesn't come with a warranty, you could always purchase a 3rd party warranty from someone like SquareTrade (which is well-known and very reputable). For that device, it would be $50 for 2 years, which would still make it cheaper than buying it new. But not by much.

Edit--oops, sorry, posted the same time as the above person. Great minds think alike, I guess!

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
First and most important is to find out from GameStop what their return policy is for a refurbished device (important for any retailer). Do not rely on the words of wisdom from the 16 year old checkout guy, knowledgeable as he may seem. Read their official policy and understand it. Verify it with a manager if there is something you don't understand. This is your responsibility.

Assuming you can return it to GameStop for certain reasons within a certain time period, refer to this post http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2411879 for my suggested inspection routine once you get it home. If you can't return it, perform as much of this inspection as possible in the store prior to buying it.

Next, make sure that the original warranty card (pamphlet, actually) is included with the N7. Also make sure that the serial number on the warranty card matches the N7. This is important. It would also be helpful, but not vital, if the original sales receipt from the initial purchase was provided, and if the N7 came in its original box, which makes it easier for shipping in case you need warranty service.

Despite this being a refurbished device, the Asus warranty likely still applies. If GameStop doesn't give you specific information about the validity of the Asus warranty, then the Asus warranty card has some specifically ambiguous information! (But keep in mind that regardless of what their warranty says, the laws with regard to warranty and consumer protection for your country or locality apply, if such laws give you more rights.) Here is a little bit of the Asus warranty:

This warranty applies only if the product was newly manufactured on the date of purchase.
Hmm, not sounding good for a refurb, but still ambiguous. Of course it was newly manufactured on the date of purchase, just not your date of purchase. But later...

Enclose a copy of the completed Warranty card at the beginning of this Warranty, and a copy of Your Sales receipt/invoice from the seller. If you do not provide the receipt/invoice from the seller, your warranty period will be deemed to start from the manufacture date of the Product, based upon the serial number, rather than the date of purchase.

This is why I said that the original warranty card was important, but that the original (first time sold) receipt was helpful but not vital. This tells me you can get warranty service even if you bought it second hand, as long as it's within a year of the date of manufacture.

By the way, Google has nothing to do with this, because you aren't buying from Google, and they aren't the manufacturer or responsible for the warranty.

So in the end, I'd recommend going for it, as long as you understand and are comfortable with the possible pitfalls of going the refurb route.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Isn't 179 pretty close to how much you would pay Asus/shipping for repair on a new nexus 7 if you broke the screen?

SOLGarion

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Email Google and ask if their policies allow you to rip them off that way.

Whoa, who said rip off? I said if the warranty transfers. If it doesn't, or had some fine print voiding it after a referb, then of course it wouldn't apply. I never suggested trying to cheat Google. That is also why I mentioned a valid claim. If you lie to Google, or Asus, about it being a refurb or that you are the original purchaser then the claim wouldn't be valid. Lots of companies have a fully transferable warranty that applies to all subsequent owners until the time period expires.

The excerpt above doesn't mention if it is transferable, but the wording on being new on original purchase date does not preclude it. It is also good to note that any ambiguities in a contract are held against the drafter.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pumice stone