Global Phone?

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
the default charger says 100-240 on it, so I've taken this to mean it's going to fine with just the adapter.

That would be correct. As long as it has the range of voltage as well as Hz youre good to go with just an adapter.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If this isn't a global access phone, then what is the "Global Data Roaming Accss" setting under Mobile Network for?

Verizon has said that a future update will enable global roaming. The phone has GSM capabilities and there's a thread on xda with instructions on how to activate that capability. From what I recall, it's not a simple process.

Sent from my SGSIII

jmart603

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has said that a future update will enable global roaming. The phone has GSM capabilities and there's a thread on xda with instructions on how to activate that capability. From what I recall, it's not a simple process.

Sent from my SGSIII

Then what is that setting for that allows you to turn it on?

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Then what is that setting for that allows you to turn it on?

Probably to activate roaming in those countries with CDMA networks. Most places outside the US use GSM, but CDMA is used in China, Mexico, South Korea, Japan, and some other places. The phone won't be a global phone until Verizon activates the GSM capability.

Sent from my SGSIII

Last edited:

flatblader

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
The "Phone Info" app does enable the Verizon GS3 to make calls and send/receive texts in Europe without being rooted. I just returned from a trip and was able to use it in Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Greece and Ireland. No data, though, so Google maps was all but worthless even though I had gone to the trouble of downloading maps of all the major cities I was visiting before I left.

Just change the network type to one of the GSM options and prepare for a big bill when you get home.

Interesting that Verizon let me purchase an international data plan before I left even though I couldn't use it. I only found out that it wouldn't work when I called Verizon from Spain (on my GS3) to ask why I couldn't get a data connection. Customer service offered to reimburse me for the cost of a prepaid phone if I purchased one over there, but I never did.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: NotJustAPhone

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
The "Phone Info" app does enable the Verizon GS3 to make calls and send/receive texts in Europe without being rooted. I just returned from a trip and was able to use it in Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Greece and Ireland. No data, though, so Google maps was all but worthless even though I had gone to the trouble of downloading maps of all the major cities I was visiting before I left.

Just change the network type to one of the GSM options and prepare for a big bill when you get home.

Interesting that Verizon let me purchase an international data plan before I left even though I couldn't use it. I only found out that it wouldn't work when I called Verizon from Spain (on my GS3) to ask why I couldn't get a data connection. Customer service offered to reimburse me for the cost of a prepaid phone if I purchased one over there, but I never did.

interesting to know, leaving in a week. so you just used the phone info app and flipped to GSM? no foreign sim or anything like that? I'd be fine with wifi for data if I knew I could send/receive texts/calls for emergencies back home.

Anon_Emus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if you had put a local GSM sym card in the phone and used PI, could that have worked. I know it is not supposed to, but I dont think using Phone Info was supposed to have worked either...:confused:

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
interesting to know, leaving in a week. so you just used the phone info app and flipped to GSM? no foreign sim or anything like that? I'd be fine with wifi for data if I knew I could send/receive texts/calls for emergencies back home.

How big of a bill though? What is the rate charge?

flatblader

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site

That's all it takes. I didn't try a different SIM. I'm not sure about the rate because I haven't seen my bill yet, but it's on the Verizon website.

flatblader

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if you had put a local GSM sym card in the phone and used PI, could that have worked. I know it is not supposed to, but I dont think using Phone Info was supposed to have worked either...:confused:

I didn't try it, but I wasn't rooted and unlocked at the time like I am now. :) Might be worth a shot if you can root/unlock and find an inexpensive SIM.

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I've got phone info but not unlocked or rooted or anything. I don't know if I'll try the local SIM bit..would a store let me try it out first before buying it maybe? I'm on vacation anyway, so I don't _need_ to constantly be able to check Twitter and post random pictures to facebook when I can't find a WiFi point, but would definitely be nice to be able to receive a call in case of emergency.

As for rates (I get a fair amount of automated texts..so this could be bad) I think they're not bad for incoming. phone seemed like $1.5-2 a minute from what Verizon told me.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Few questions that may be a little basic but just for clarification:

I see when opening up Phone Info there are multiple GSM settings to choose from. Which one is the correct GSM setting?

Can I send and receive txts?

When someone calls my cell phone from the US and I am in Europe, will they need to dial any additional numbers or will just dialing my regular number be sufficient?

Will I incur any charges by leaving my phone on in GSM mode abroad without making any calls?

Hey Ceetar,

I was thinking the same when I was deciding if i should bring my tablet. Wait I am going to be on vacation and I work in IT so the last thing I want to do on my vacation is be glued to my cell or tablet.

The occasional update or browse at night on my hostels wifi is good enough. I do not need to be connected 24/7 because I might as well not go then :). Might be a blessing in disguise nt to have data

flatblader

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Few questions that may be a little basic but just for clarification:

I see when opening up Phone Info there are multiple GSM settings to choose from. Which one is the correct GSM setting?

Can I send and receive txts?

When someone calls my cell phone from the US and I am in Europe, will they need to dial any additional numbers or will just dialing my regular number be sufficient?

Will I incur any charges by leaving my phone on in GSM mode abroad without making any calls?

I think I left it on GSM Auto for the most part, but I tried all the rest to see if I could get data and I think they all work for voice.

Yes, you can send and receive texts. I think it was $.05 to receive and $.50 to send. You'll receive a free text from Verizon every time you enter a new country's service area that tells you what the rates are.

I don't think they have to dial any special numbers to reach you abroad, but I'm not positive. To dial back to the US, you have to add "+1" in front of the regular 10 digit number you want to call. Hold down the "0" key on the dialer to insert the "+" sign.

There's no charge for having the phone on, but you will pay for any incoming call that hits your phone whether you answer it or not, so you might want to leave it on airplane mode until you plan to use it to avoid paying for calls you don't want to receive (like work).

Have a good trip!

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
There's no charge for having the phone on, but you will pay for any incoming call that hits your phone whether you answer it or not, so you might want to leave it on airplane mode until you plan to use it to avoid paying for calls you don't want to receive (like work).

Have a good trip!

Really? That seems lame. I keep my resume active on a couple of sites and recruiters love to randomly call at bad times. screw 'em! Maybe I should sign up for the one-month Verizon global international calling crap or whatever that reduces

worldsoutro said:
Hey Ceetar,

I was thinking the same when I was deciding if i should bring my tablet. Wait I am going to be on vacation and I work in IT so the last thing I want to do on my vacation is be glued to my cell or tablet.

The occasional update or browse at night on my hostels wifi is good enough. I do not need to be connected 24/7 because I might as well not go then . Might be a blessing in disguise nt to have data

I'm bringing a netbook. mainly so I can easily reply (swype or not, long emails annoy me on the phone) to some email or something while I'm waiting for my wife to get ready, but also in case I fill up my memory cards on my camera and want to dump photos.