Going abroad for Honeymoon - cheapest and best way to get Prepaid GSM phone?

Comp625

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Fiancée and I are going abroad to Italy for 2 weeks during our Honeymoon. We would like to have at least basic mobile smartphone access for things like: Google, Google Maps and Tripadvisor. We both have CDMA phones (Moto X 2014 & Galaxy S4) and understand neither are globally compatible.

1. What is the best Prepaid service over in Europe (specific to Italy, if possible)?
  2. Can I buy a GSM Prepaid phone (e.g. from AT&T or T-Mobile) and simply "swap" the SIM cards once I get over there? Is it possible for me to get an Italian carrier's SIM card in advance?
  3. What are some quirks or "watchouts" that I need to be aware? I assume their carriers are stingy about data just like we are, and that service is likely spottier/less reliable.
Thank you in advance!

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Some airports have global smartphones (Blu or Moto phones) in a Best Buy Mobile vending machine, and you may be able to find something in a specialty shop in the particular airport. I can't speak to prepaid service rates, but you can use this site to check compatibility: willmyphonework.net

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali