Good Offline GPS Apps?

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a GPS for my car, but I think it'd be very handy to have an app to use when you're, say, in the city trying to find a specific location and you don't have wifi. Without wifi, Google Maps can't even locate a specific address on a map. I can't even use "Navigation" without an internet connection--and I'm using actual addresses, not trying to search for something (and I do have the entire map cached offline). So the entirety of Google Maps is pretty pointless without wifi, unless you just literally want a map (fine if you want an intersection, not so fine if you have a specific street # and don't know the closest intersection).

Are there any GPS apps that can, at the very least, locate a specific address on a map--or even better, provide directions to that address without wifi? Even more amazing would be an app that comes pre-programmed with popular destinations (e.g. local supermarkets, shopping, monuments) so you can even use search without wifi. I've heard TomTom has a new app, but apparently it doesn't work unless you root your N7?

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I use Sygic and it works great for me. I know that Tom Tom is about to release their app for Android soon, so I'll be excited to try it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Just realized that the Tom Tom app is now available for Android....... I went buy and download it, but it says that it's not compatible with the Nexus 7...... Well that sucks!!!!

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just realized that the Tom Tom app is now available for Android....... I went buy and download it, but it says that it's not compatible with the Nexus 7...... Well that sucks!!!!

Yeah I was reminded by GPS's when I read AstronomerXI's post here--they rooted the device and installed some drivers, which got the app to work for them. Maybe you could contact them if you don't mind rooting your device?

Just installed Copilot, so I'll see how it is after the map's done dl'ing. Took some self-restraint not to just go ahead and dl the 1.2GB entirety of the US instead of my 200MB region lol.

pbelfi

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I was reminded by GPS's when I read AstronomerXI's post here--they rooted the device and installed some drivers, which got the app to work for them. Maybe you could contact them if you don't mind rooting your device?

Just installed Copilot, so I'll see how it is after the map's done dl'ing. Took some self-restraint not to just go ahead and dl the 1.2GB entirety of the US instead of my 200MB region lol.

Thanks for the info but I am not wanting to root. I have a stand alone Tom Tom and like their maps, but I'll have to just continue to use other options for now.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Copilot works pretty good so far--though I haven't tried the others so I can't compare. It knows a lot of POI's offline, but it doesn't recognize subway stops so I'll just input those in manually. VERY fast calculations, especially compared to my actual car GPS (just a standalone device that's like 4 years old, takes forever to locate GPS and doesn't recognize major POI's).

//edit: decided to upgrade to the 'premium' since it was only $10--pretty reasonable considering other GPS apps are like $40. Just because I can, I downloaded a Sean Connery-esque voice named "James" from the UK voices. I'm hoping they actually read street names instead of just "turn left, turn right, etc", because that's a little dangerous otherwise--less time glancing at a GPS the better/

Last edited:

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Copilot works pretty good so far--though I haven't tried the others so I can't compare. It knows a lot of POI's offline, but it doesn't recognize subway stops so I'll just input those in manually. VERY fast calculations, especially compared to my actual car GPS (just a standalone device that's like 4 years old, takes forever to locate GPS and doesn't recognize major POI's).

//edit: decided to upgrade to the 'premium' since it was only $10--pretty reasonable considering other GPS apps are like $40. Just because I can, I downloaded a Sean Connery-esque voice named "James" from the UK voices. I'm hoping they actually read street names instead of just "turn left, turn right, etc", because that's a little dangerous otherwise--less time glancing at a GPS the better/

When you tried it on the streets, did it actually speak the name of the streets before the turns?

Thanks! :)

AstronomerXI

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

The drivers are the same ones that were rolled up into the latest release. I put my N7 back to factory default and installed the latest update and TomTom works just fine. I've since rooted so that I can connect external storage for read/write. Rooting is nothing special. It just gives you the equivalent of Windows "Administrator rights". That is, full access to your hardware and directories.

Last edited:

Aamir Dillon

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Try Locus Free ..

it does pretty much everything you might need from a GPS app .. :) ..
Offline maps
Cache can also be linked with downloaded maps
records tracks ..marks distances ..imports tracks from external GPX log files .. etc ..
downloading of maps limited to 10000 tiles per day but its ok .. you can download screen, area or a path with required width in km on various Zooms ..

on a marked map you can conveninetly follow it on the trip back .. :) ..

Hope it helps..

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I use sygic. You pay once and you get free map updates for life (about twice a year). It is 100% offline with POIs and everything. There are a ton of different voices you can download and several of them are TTS (they say the street names).

Andrei Gizpoint

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Two of my favourite apps are Copilot ( a great app but also expensive ) and iGo Primo wich is also a great offline software to use.
Also tried NAvigon,Sygic ,Navitel but those two I mentioned first are not missing a thing : great interface,easy to set up a route,and always up to date maps.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isaacmause