Google Assistant has stopped working

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Today Google Assistant has stopped working on my Pixel 4a.
When I swipe up from a corner I get "Assistant will be ready soon". See screenshot. In settings the Hey Google won't stay on, see second screenshot. I've cleared Assistant cache and rebooted. Nada. I've reset my voice recognition. Still won't work.
Occasionally voice will start Assistant but it won't complete commands and then it turns off.
So...short of doing a factory reset, any suggestions I could try?
It worked just fine yesterday. My wife's Pixel 4a Assistant is working as it should.
072de87aaae261489ab932151480fd14.jpg
8193329cfb20244fe2fb56981f373646.jpg

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I've had that on various devices. Sometimes it is just a connection to the server that isn't working and ends up resolving itself. If it doesn't resolve perhaps you can clear the cache in the Google app or the Google Connectivity Services.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I've had that on various devices. Sometimes it is just a connection to the server that isn't working and ends up resolving itself. If it doesn't resolve perhaps you can clear the cache in the Google app or the Google Connectivity Services.
I've cleared the cache in Assistant but not Connected Services. I'll try that later. I'll wait a bit to see if Assistant starts working on its own over lunch.
Thanks for the suggestion.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site

Attachments

• 9663.jpg
    9663.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 10

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did what you suggested and .
I really don't want to reset my phone. It will take days to get it back the way I like it. I guess it's a weekend project.
One thing , go to google app and uninstall the update then test without that app getting updated

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
One thing , go to google app and uninstall the update then test without that app getting updated
Well that was brilliant. It worked. That app I was a beta tester for. I'm going to unenroll being a beta tester on that one.
Thanks for all of the help Mustang 7757!

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Well that was brilliant. It worked. That app I was a beta tester for. I'm going to unenroll being a beta tester on that one.
Thanks for all of the help Mustang 7757!

You should've mentioned you were a beta tester, it could've got you help a little quicker lol. That's the reason you're wife wasn't having trouble but you were, when you're on a beta you have to expect problems, they're designed to catch the bugs before the stable version is rolled out to the general public. It would've been a shame if you factory reset your phone over an assistant beta problem :eek: I believe when you opt out of a beta you roll back to the last stable public release version... which is what you did by uninstalling the most recent update.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
You should've mentioned you were a beta tester, it could've got you help a little quicker lol. That's the reason you're wife wasn't having trouble but you were, when you're on a beta you have to expect problems, they're designed to catch the bugs before the stable version is rolled out to the general public. It would've been a shame if you factory reset your phone over an assistant beta problem :eek: I believe when you opt out of a beta you roll back to the last stable public release version... which is what you did by uninstalling the most recent update.
You are correct that if I mentioned I was a beta tester for that app I would have gotten the answer quicker or even came up with the solution myself. However I didn't know that that app was the root of the problem until Mustang7757 suggested it and I deleted the update and he was correct.
After uninstalling the beta update I left that app's beta program and installed the public update and all is good.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards