Google assistant no longer works with headphones

hellojjwo

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
I’m running Android 11 on my Pixel, and last weekend I got the July security update, and now Google assistant no longer works properly with BT headphones. Tried multiple brands, all the same issue: when doing multi-stage questions (activating using the button on the headphones), it can’t hear me for the follow up question. It seems to switch to listening with the phone’s microphone so it won’t hear me if the phone is in my pocket/backpack (which is the whole point of being able to use my headphones).
Anybody else experiencing this? You can see it by connecting BT headphones, putting the phone in another room, then activating it and saying something like “send a text.” It’ll hear that part and pull up the text asking what you want it to say, but then it just doesn’t hear me for the actual text. Unless I’m speaking into the phone.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I’m running Android 11 on my Pixel, and last weekend I got the July security update, and now Google assistant no longer works properly with BT headphones. Tried multiple brands, all the same issue: when doing multi-stage questions (activating using the button on the headphones), it can’t hear me for the follow up question. It seems to switch to listening with the phone’s microphone so it won’t hear me if the phone is in my pocket/backpack (which is the whole point of being able to use my headphones).
Anybody else experiencing this? You can see it by connecting BT headphones, putting the phone in another room, then activating it and saying something like “send a text.” It’ll hear that part and pull up the text asking what you want it to say, but then it just doesn’t hear me for the actual text. Unless I’m speaking into the phone.

I had a similar issue on my pixel 3xl running Android 11, I updated the Google app through the play store (I have auto updates turned off) and turned my phone off and on a couple of times and the issue seemed to have gone away.

Keep in mind every time the Play Store updates your Google app (or the Assistant starts acting up) you can often fix the problem with multiple restarts... Google usually seems to temporarily screw up the Assistant when it updates the Google app.

On a side note this pixel 3xl seems way buggier than my pixel 1 I retired a month ago. I expected it to be pixel reliable like my 1 was. I guess newer isn't always better :-\

I hope Android 12 doesn't come out a buggy mess.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I had a similar issue on my pixel 3xl running Android 11, I updated the Google app through the play store (I have auto updates turned off) and turned my phone off and on a couple of times and the issue seemed to have gone away.

Keep in mind every time the Play Store updates your Google app (or the Assistant starts acting up) you can often fix the problem with multiple restarts... Google usually seems to temporarily screw up the Assistant when it updates the Google app.

On a side note this pixel 3xl seems way buggier than my pixel 1 I retired a month ago. I expected it to be pixel reliable like my 1 was. I guess newer isn't always better :-\

I hope Android 12 doesn't come out a buggy mess.
Erm... so far it is a pretty buggy mess but it is in beta. However it is beta 3 out of 4. So.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djnewman46