Question Google Groups

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
Looking at the "Dashboard" of my Google account, I see a card that says 'Groups'.
The card shows 12 Groups, but when I open the card, I only see 1 Group.

Groups~1.jpg
Groups~2.jpg

I don't know what this Group is, don't even know how to find any Groups; much less visit any Groups.

1. Why does the card show 12 Groups, but only 1 is actually listed?
2. How do I REMOVE this Group?

The same goes for the card 'Tasks'. The card shows 1, but I don't have ANY Tasks actually listed.
How do I find whatever Task I supposedly have & REMOVE it?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe the "Recent groups" listing is primarily made of suggestions of groups to join. That group that you see is not one you've joined -- you can tell by clicking the 3-dot menu button on the right and seeing if there's a "Join Group" option there. I have 16 groups listed in Recent Groups, all of which I haven't joined. I have no idea what algorithm is used to show suggestions.

I can't seem to find the Google Groups part of my Google account dashboard -- where do you see it?

EDIT: Never mind, I found it under Data & Privacy>Data from Apps and Services You Use. It says 9 groups for me, while I only have 2 active groups. I can recognize the "most recently joined" group that's shown, but that was related to a Zoom webinar I participated in, and is no longer accessible -- not sure if the creation of a Google Group was an odd byproduct of that webinar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jhatn

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I only see 2 options: Join Group & Favorite Group.
Do you know if we can remove these suggested groups?
Sorry, I don't know of a way to remove those suggested groups. My guess is that over time, they'll fall off the list, but they might be replaced by others.

I hardly know anyone who uses Google Groups, so I'm guessing the support for this service is pretty minimal. I wouldn't be surprised if it heads to the Google Graveyard in the near future ...

Jhatn

May 30, 2023
Visit site
Sorry, I don't know of a way to remove those suggested groups. My guess is that over time, they'll fall off the list, but they might be replaced by others.

I hardly know anyone who uses Google Groups, so I'm guessing the support for this service is pretty minimal. I wouldn't be surprised if it heads to the Google Graveyard in the near future .
I figured we couldn't remove them. I don't use Groups either. There are many 'products' that need to be either re-worked or just be put in the Google Graveyard.

Thanks for the replies.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter