Google Hub First Impressions

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Got mine yesterday and had a little time to play last night.

The reason I purchased the hub is to eliminate the need to use my android phone to control my house.

My first impression after 45 minutes of use:

• Controlling the Hue lights is easier than using my Samsung Note 8.
  • Some of the content you may ask for (off the web) is delivered as audio only, so the new hub may be no better than the old Google audio-only device depending on what you ask it to do. I found myself asking myself, "what good is the screen" in some instances. Google engineers need to tweak it to allow for a more "screen centric" experience for those who want it over the audio centric responses.
  • Most importantly, I can't seem to add my pre-existing YouTube Premium account or send specific playlists to my Chromecast TVs easily. Being able to easily send YouTube content to my TVs is important to to me, and I can't easily see how to do this either by voice command or screen (preferred).

Will play more tonight, but my preliminary look at it was disappointing. Sadly, it looks like I will still need to use my android phone to do the things I want to do. But will post more as I learn the device.

Feel free to list your first impressions....

Last edited:

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I got my Home Hub about a week ago and I'm liking it.. The one thing that noticed right away is how small it was.. I guess I didn't pay much attention to the 7" display spec. I saw the Lenovo one but they did not have the Google Hub on display at Best Buy when I purchased it. No big deal for me as I find it more useful than the Google Home or Home minis that I have throughout the house.

Everything else works as advertised. :)

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the Lenovo version today too (after my Hub purchase). Looks like the Hub may only be good for my nightstand while the Lenovo might work better for the kitchen.

Kind of sad that the Hub is going to be relegated to "bedside clock status". Not buying the Lenovo though until I see if it more functional than the Hub. But from what I see, the screen has little value.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had the Lenovo Display for awhile so it is like that to me. It is just mini! lol.

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. I spent more time on the hub. Precious little control on which photos it shows, and it's ability to control YouTube -- either on the display, or what you can ask it to play on a neaby TV (Chromecast). This is no substitute for your Android phone. So frustrating. Yep. It's staying on my nightstand.

Last edited:

mgabriel2#AC

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I guess I should of done more research before buying 2 of these for my home ( 1 for Wifes office 1 for my office ) the 2 functions I really wanted were 1) Intercom with other Google Devices and 2) Google Wifi Control - It can do neither

The Best Buy deal was nice ..1 Hub and 1 Google Mini and 1 Lightbulb for 99$ was nice but going to return everything.

Yes you can use "Broadcast" but that only goes to ALL other google devices that my account is signed in on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord