Google Maps navigation memory leak?

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had a problem a few times now when I've had navigation (voice turn by turn directions) on for maybe an hour or more. What seems to happen is the phone gets laggy and even freezes up if I hit the home button or another app (leaving navigation running). Even turning off the screen it won't come back on right away. If I close google maps the phone goes back to normal. This doesn't happen on a shorter drive, only those of more that an hour or so. I was traveling by car a lot over the last few days so was using google navigation and this happened several times. It reminds me of when certain webpages would cause memory leaks in Internet Explorer and bring Windows screeching to a crawl or even bring blue screen.

Has anyone else seen this?? very uncool for a state of the art phone.

jemalone

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I have had a similar thing happen. While out running and using Runkeeper to track my run the phone did this same thing as your. I had been out over an hour. My status updates from runkeeper also were slow in announcing, they were drawn out. I had music playing in the background via amazon mp3 via bluetooth.

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping it's something that will get fixed with an update, but I'm surprised I don't see anyone else talking about it. I don't think anything is wrong with my phone in particular, I assume it's a bug with this version of google maps and/or Kit Kat.