Google Messenger vs. Google Hangouts ?

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
For the life of me, I dont understand what is Google thinking. Hangouts seem so incomplete. So instead of improving on Hangouts and its issues, Google release Google Messenger? The app feels very material and very smooth. I like how you dont need to leave the app to select pictures or video or sound to send.

The one gripe I didnt like about Google hangouts was in SMS/Google voice everyone was the same color in the message thread. But on the Google Hangouts portion one person has a white chat box and you have the green chat box. Why didnt this continue throughout the app??
Yet, in the new messenger app, this has been resolved. The messenger app has taken cues from the Imessage and Facebook messaging apps. Its way easier to share items, its way quicker than Google Hangouts. Hangouts feels very beta now.

Hangouts brought continuity in terms of combining everything, but then it lost some functionality with their version of this implementation.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you. I just tried out the new Messenger. It's very nice but, unlike Google Hangouts, it's just text messages, whereas Hangouts also shows & plays my voice messages. I like having a single app for voice messages and texts, so I'm going to stick with Hangouts & hope they improve it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does Google Messenger have any Google-specific features?

I wonder if this is the new AOSP messaging app.

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. I just tried out the new Messenger. It's very nice but, unlike Google Hangouts, it's just text messages, whereas Hangouts also shows & plays my voice messages. I like having a single app for voice messages and texts, so I'm going to stick with Hangouts & hope they improve it.

I wish this was the new Hangouts... It seems like the IOS team @ Google design this app.vs. Android Google Hangout team. The Hangouts on IOS functions closely to this app vs the version of Hangouts on Android

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Its pretty barebones. But the color coding for incoming messages and its has more material design.

It's not like Launcher3 vs. Google Now Launcher then, right?

Launcher3 is a AOSP launcher. Google Now Launcher takes Launcher3 and adds Google Now on left swipe.

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I think this sheds light on why suddenly this app came out:

Google’s product strategy: Make two of everything | Ars Technica

All that data mining and they still think thats a great strategy ... I mean, how hard is it to tell if an app is slow and works in a quirky way? Or taking away a feature that everybody seems to like. Google builds house and randomly removes bricks for no reason. Its like they are play Jenga with their apps.. Add something here, remove something there and hope it doesnt fall over. lol

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
All that data mining and they still think thats a great strategy ... I mean, how hard is it to tell if an app is slow and works in a quirky way? Or taking away a feature that everybody seems to like. Google builds house and randomly removes bricks for no reason. Its like they are play Jenga with their apps.. Add something here, remove something there and hope it doesnt fall over. lol

Data mining? What? They didn't remove anything.

Kamal Gaba

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Google Messaging for Android is a service that allows you to send data from your server to your users' Android-powered device, and also to receive messages from devices on the same connection. The new Windows Live Messenger, more social than ever, and much more programs. The Google Messenger service handles all aspects of queueing of messages and delivery to the target Android application running on the target device, and it is completely free.

Google Hangouts, which performs similar messaging and video calling functions, will act as a replacement for Messenger, said Google software engineer Virgil Dobjanschi, in a Wednesday blog post. Google Messenger was a service for mobile devices designed for group conversations with text, photos and face-to-face video chat.

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Google Messaging for Android is a service that allows you to send data from your server to your users' Android-powered device, and also to receive messages from devices on the same connection. The new Windows Live Messenger, more social than ever, and much more programs. The Google Messenger service handles all aspects of queueing of messages and delivery to the target Android application running on the target device, and it is completely free.

Google Hangouts, which performs similar messaging and video calling functions, will act as a replacement for Messenger, said Google software engineer Virgil Dobjanschi, in a Wednesday blog post. Google Messenger was a service for mobile devices designed for group conversations with text, photos and face-to-face video chat.

I think they are mixing up Messenger and Hangouts. You cant do video chats on Messenger. Google Messenger uses sms and not data. This sounds like cloud messaging from Google or something.

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to leave Hangouts to do that at all...

Ok. Show me how to send a video to someone in Hangouts... You have three options. Take a photo, attach a photo and add location. And adding a picture opens a complete different app (Recents) . Taking a picture opens the camera app. Do you have both apps?

anon(257429)

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
google-messenger.jpg

The camera viewfinder opens right under the message thread... I can send MMS without leaving the message thread.

Capture.JPG

Adding pictures or videos, opens right under the message thread.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djboulette