Google Pay vs Samsung Pay on the Note 8. Unable to get GP to work

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Anyone using Google Pay on their Note 8?

I have been using Samsung Pay pretty much since I got the phone in October and has practically worked every time and no reservations in trying anywhere because of it using MST and just tap it on the card reader so never considered even installing Google Pay.

I only decided to give Google Pay a try only because they were offering a few Google Pay dollars for making a few purchases on it as well as link my PayPal account usable where ever MasterCard is accepted but can't get it to work.

I didn't allow it to be my default payment so I have to open it when ready to pay and I hover my phone over the logo but nothing. Tried it at a WaWa reader at the pump and at a Publix grocery market and nothing. It doesn't give you any animation showing that it's active or trying anything.

I don't even know where the NFC chip is on our phone so not sure what part of the phone I should be waving against the reader. So wondering how others fare with Google Pay.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've tried it and there were no issues. The NFC is pretty much dead-centered in the back plate of your phone.

Check the following:
1)In the Payment Options, make sure that it is set up to use whatever app is open and not to use Samsung Pay as the default/always option. If the latter is the case, GPay won't work.
2)Google Pay uses NFC, so make sure your NFC toggle is active. Should it be off, it won't work.
3)Make sure you don't have a case that interferes with the NFC signal.
4)Do you have issues with Wireless Charging? IF so, your circuit might be damaged. For some reason when NFC is failing, so does Wireless Charging, so that's a good indicator that something is wrong.
5)The usual debug: Uninstall/re-install Google Pay. Make sure that your account is properly activated.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions...

1... I didn't find a Payment Options setting in Oreo or Google Pay or Samsung Pay settings, but I did see under Connections > NFC and payment (on) > Tap and Pay > Payment default is Samsung Pay but in Others tab Google Pay was also selected... so maybe a conflict.

So I unchecked the Google Play (because I still want Samsung Pay to be my default) BUT underneath there was an option saying If open app support Tap and pay it was set to use Samsung Pay anyways and I changed it to Use open app instead of Samsung Pay. So I'll see if that does anything.

to cover your other points in case above change doesn't work,
2... NFC was active during my tests.
3 and 4... Use a Spigen Neo Hybrid and no problems when using Samsung Pay in past or using wireless charge.
5... didn't uninstall and reinstall but between test 1 and 2 there was a Google Pay update.

Hoping the settings I saw in Tap and Pay work and will update.

I've tried it and there were no issues. The NFC is pretty much dead-centered in the back plate of your phone.

Check the following:
1)In the Payment Options, make sure that it is set up to use whatever app is open and not to use Samsung Pay as the default/always option. If the latter is the case, GPay won't work.
2)Google Pay uses NFC, so make sure your NFC toggle is active. Should it be off, it won't work.
3)Make sure you don't have a case that interferes with the NFC signal.
4)Do you have issues with Wireless Charging? IF so, your circuit might be damaged. For some reason when NFC is failing, so does Wireless Charging, so that's a good indicator that something is wrong.
5)The usual debug: Uninstall/re-install Google Pay. Make sure that your account is properly activated.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, that's the option that was causing issues (If open app supports...)! BUT you still have to keep Google Pay selected in the OTHERS tab, or it will not have access to NFC.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh OK, I'll add those back in and test after work (Google Pay listed twice in Other tab for some reason). Gotta get some gas at WaWa's anyways lol.

Yup, that's the option that was causing issues (If open app supports...)! BUT you still have to keep Google Pay selected in the OTHERS tab, or it will not have access to NFC.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh OK, I'll add those back in and test after work (Google Pay listed twice in Other tab for some reason). Gotta get some gas at WaWa's anyways lol.

Yeah, I just saw that on mine, too... weird. Seldom ever use GPay so never noticed before haha.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well I got Google Pay to finally work for first time... But i had to set it the way you mentioned... Google Pay as the default.

My way at Wawa left me hanging at the pump, so I left with no gas, found a Valero station with NFC reader at pump and set it your way and it immediately read. Hmm, a targeted "bug" against Samsung Pay??

At least I know GPay works. I'll try fiddling with settings next time... Make GPay as default but change if open app supports tap and pay setting to use open app... Because if I can get Samsung Pay to work when I swipe up to open it, then I'm OK with having GPay as default.

Yeah, I just saw that on mine, too... weird. Seldom ever use GPay so never noticed before haha.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180720-163626_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180720-163626_Settings.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 25

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well I think I found a setting that works for me now using Samsung Pay as I normally would by swiping up at the home screen and using the FPS to activate as well as be able to use GPay normally too.

GPay is a bit less secure IMO because all you have to do is unlock the phone and tap to pay but seems fast. If it doesn't work, can always just swipe up and then use Samsung Pay with the MST.

But just like you said SpookDroid, the setting you need is to make GPay your default and below it the setting if open app supports tap and pay, change to use the app that is open as shown below to allow Samsung Pay.

Ill keep using GPay at other stores to see how it compares but it's my impression is that it would be a step faster since you don't need to open any apps and activate with FPS/pin if NFC is working.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180720-180441_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20180720-180441_Settings.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays