mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm not just talking about this one thing though... it's always the same with everything they do.

Look at the mess with messages... or is it called chat? or hangouts... maybe it's allo, I'm not sure... Whatever it is, I know that RCS works about half of the time, if you're lucky.

And this is what, the third or fourth time we've gone through this furore with android pay?
Google is known to do this

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I had my "Pays" mixed up lol, it was actually Google Pay (not GPay) that was getting the "old app updated" messages until the updates quit. Now I get Google Wallet updates instead, even though I never installed Wallet. I'm assuming one of the last Google Pay updates changed the name and function to Google Wallet. I've never opened either app, in fact I haven't even looked at them in my app drawer. I'm guessing the Google Pay app icon has been replaced by the Wallet icon.

I also wonder what the difference was between Google Pay and GPay?

Edit: It looks like some of my questions were answered above... but I agree Google could of made this whole thing less confusing ;)

It does get confusing. Over the years, (if memory serves me) it went from google wallet to android pay to google pay to gpay and now back to google wallet.

as far as the difference, google pay was geared towards payments in stores while gpay was more for paying individuals.

The icon changing confused me, my watch was auto updated and changed icons. Found out when I went to pay for something and did not know what the icon looked like. It was a good thing I also had samsung pay installed. Had to figure out what happened later. .

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not just talking about this one thing though... it's always the same with everything they do.

Look at the mess with messages... or is it called chat? or hangouts... maybe it's allo, I'm not sure... Whatever it is, I know that RCS works about half of the time, if you're lucky.

And this is what, the third or fourth time we've gone through this furore with android pay?
I agree with you. I sometimes wonder who's making these decisions.
Not to praise the fruit company, they make their own blunders, but they carefully craft the direction they are going and pretty much stick to it. They perfect things before they put things out there. There is consistency.
What we need is something in the middle. Anyone have a couple billion lying around and want to talk business?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Not to praise the fruit company, they make their own blunders, but they carefully craft the direction they are going and pretty much stick to it. They perfect things before they put things out there. There is consistency.
What we need is something in the middle. Anyone have a couple billion lying around and want to talk business?

Something in the middle... a lot like what we need from our U.S. government ;) What's with everything going to extremes anymore? As I get older I find I like consistency and the middle road a lot more in most things lol.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday I used Wallet to make a purchase. It worked just fine. The pia factor is to see the purchases history you have to use GPay since that isn't displayed in Wallet. Other than adding boarding passes, certain car models electronic keys that GPay doesn't seem to allow to add I don't see the point in having both. GPay is all I need.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

believe it or not, when google went from google pay to gpay, people got fired. The roll out was messy.

Newport Dave

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I used Wallet to make a purchase. It worked just fine. The pia factor is to see the purchases history you have to use GPay since that isn't displayed in Wallet. Other than adding boarding passes, certain car models electronic keys that GPay doesn't seem to allow to add I don't see the point in having both. GPay is all I need.
I can see my purchase history in Wallet. Just tap on relevant card, then 'Details' then 'Activity' and it brings up the history for that card. I'm in the UK so I don't if that affects it.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I can see my purchase history in Wallet. Just tap on relevant card, then 'Details' then 'Activity' and it brings up the history for that card. I'm in the UK so I don't if that affects it.
Well, so it does. Thanks, but I do prefer how Gpay shows the total spending history and then you can look at the spending history of individual cards.
Nevertheless, I'll keep both.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I just tried to use GPay and Google Wallet at the ATM and vending machines at work and I started get the error messages again. I thought maybe it was my case stoping them from working , but even with the case off neither worked. Samsung Wallet works great with or without the case.

My sister has no issues with gpay and she has the same phone. Idk what I'm doing wrong or what my issue could be.
I hardly ever used android pay or gpay on other phones so of course when I want to utilize it , it doesn't work. Lol

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I figured it out. Apparently under the nfc options Gpay has to be set as the default payment.

It would ask me when I opened Gpay if I wanted to set it as the default but I would always say no . I didn't know that made the difference. I also never set Samsung pay as default, but under the nfc options it was my default. Lol

Thanks for the help peeps. My issue is solved.

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I figured it out. Apparently under the nfc options Gpay has to be set as the default payment.

It would ask me when I opened Gpay if I wanted to set it as the default but I would always say no . I didn't know that made the difference. I also never set Samsung pay as default, but under the nfc options it was my default. Lol

Thanks for this info. I'm sure I would have the same problem the first time I try to use it.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I uninstalled Samsung Pay near the end of my time with my N20U and uninstalled it the first day I got my S22U.

With MST gone in the S22U I personally felt there no need to have two and Google Pay/GPay worked pretty much 100%.

With that I wanted to have one less company that has my credit cards in some database.

If GPay doesn't work, I just bring out a CC and tap it on the reader. With all the CC having NFC sometimes I find it easier to pull that out of my pocket if my phone is already in my pocket.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled Samsung Pay near the end of my time with my N20U and uninstalled it the first day I got my S22U.

With MST gone in the S22U I personally felt there no need to have two and Google Pay/GPay worked pretty much 100%.

With that I wanted to have one less company that has my credit cards in some database.

If GPay doesn't work, I just bring out a CC and tap it on the reader. With all the CC having NFC sometimes I find it easier to pull that out of my pocket if my phone is already in my pocket.
This is the only phone I have both Gpay and Samsung wallet on it. My last couple of phones I didn't use Gpay/ Android pay. I stuck strictly with Samsung and even after a while I stopped using that when they revamped the rewards.

I wanted to give Gpay a try this go round because apps like after pay and quad pay be used in Gpay and not Samsung pay.
Once I get tired I'll uninstall both again and just go back to pulling out my debit card. Lol

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I've always used Google pay in the past. This time around I'm giving Samsung wallet a try.

So far so good

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Gpay works as well or better than tap for me. Kinda a pita to setup with my bank though. Mine was changed to wallet a couple weeks ago.
Pixel6.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've always used Google pay in the past. This time around I'm giving Samsung wallet a try.

So far so good
I used Google Pay in the past, but switched to Samsung Pay when I got my first Samsung phone, the S10+, in 2019. Since then I haven't tried Google Play/Google Wallet at all on the S10+ or the S22 Ultra. I'll have to fire up Google Wallet and give it a go to see how it is now.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I used GPay and my Galaxy Watch 4 stopped tracking my sleep so I reset my watch, now my GPay doesn't work

Doesn't work how? I may have had a similar problem which I worked around by adding a different card to Google Wallet. If you don't have another card to use, you could try removing the card from your Google account and re-adding it.

blueyzfr6

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't work how? I may have had a similar problem which I worked around by adding a different card to Google Wallet. If you don't have another card to use, you could try removing the card from your Google account and re-adding it.

This is what it says

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220824_165223_Google Play services.jpg
    Screenshot_20220824_165223_Google Play services.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 19