Visit site

TESTED AND FUNCTIONING WORKAROUND:

Enter GPS debug/settings application by typing *#1472365#
click "Setup" tab
click "position mode"
Click "starting mode
Enable "Cold Start"
Back out.

Works like a charm and has (so far) solved my GPS problems! Thanx a bunch!!!

capitaltpt

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
As stated earlier, GPS Status has been my saving grace with it's aGPS download. I've e-mailed the developer about creating a widget or allowing for download of aGPS without opening GPS Status. He was very open to the idea and said he was putting it on his "To Do" list. Good to know the devs can help where Samsung has failed us.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
As stated earlier, GPS Status has been my saving grace with it's aGPS download. I've e-mailed the developer about creating a widget or allowing for download of aGPS without opening GPS Status. He was very open to the idea and said he was putting it on his "To Do" list. Good to know the devs can help where Samsung has failed us.
that wont do any more than setting cold start.

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I had little problems w/my gps taking up to 30secs to catch. Now it took exactly 10secs to catch.
Thanks Aero.

TheHostileGamer

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Did this, and my GPS still blows, maybe I'm just used to my old iPhone GPS which was always pinpoint accurate even indoors. Now I use it and it always says I'm down the road from where I am really at. To be honest...alot of things I'm seeing with the Android phones and marketplace, I'm almost wondering if I should of just got an iPhone4. There is something to definitely be said about something always just working. Seems as if there are more button presses to do the same thing my iPhone did in only a few. Sorry for the rank lol

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Did this, and my GPS still blows, maybe I'm just used to my old iPhone GPS which was always pinpoint accurate even indoors. Now I use it and it always says I'm down the road from where I am really at. To be honest...alot of things I'm seeing with the Android phones and marketplace, I'm almost wondering if I should of just got an iPhone4. There is something to definitely be said about something always just working. Seems as if there are more button presses to do the same thing my iPhone did in only a few. Sorry for the rank lol

Sounds like your phone has other problems. this workaround addresses and repairs the main GPS bug for most users experiencing it.

Toast95135

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried this and it didn't help me, it still would occasionally not find me so I set it back to stock.

I posted this in the other Android forum, but now that I finally rooted my phone I downloaded CacheMate and set it to delete every 3 hours. Now my GPS works flawlessly and I shouldn't ever have a problem with it again. Plus with this fix you don't have to worry about being absent a data connection.

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I tried this and it didn't help me, it still would occasionally not find me so I set it back to stock.

I posted this in the other Android forum, but now that I finally rooted my phone I downloaded CacheMate and set it to delete every 3 hours. Now my GPS works flawlessly and I shouldn't ever have a problem with it again. Plus with this fix you don't have to worry about being absent a data connection.

I tested chacehmate and it did not work nearly as consistently. Did not lock quite a few times.

cachemate is an older program with some bugs. It costs $8. There are several cache clearing programs, the issue is that eitehr they are working in background causing the identical long cold starts issue absent a connection. plus causing a memory and battery overhead in background that teh cold start default does not. If you don't run them in background but use them ad hoc, LBA's are dependent on you picking up the phone and invoking

The fact that cold start from teh debug menue did not give you cold starts indicates something else going on

Last edited:

HeyBeerManTX

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Is this workaround intended to help with accurately locating you, or to speed up the lock? I'm already pretty accurate....the issues I've been having are that it a) takes 5-10 minutes to find me, if at all, and b) my compass is almost always off (different issue, I know).

boomerbubba

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Is this workaround intended to help with accurately locating you, or to speed up the lock? I'm already pretty accurate....the issues I've been having are that it a) takes 5-10 minutes to find me, if at all, and b) my compass is almost always off (different issue, I know).

The Cold Start workaround is intended for the bug that prevents satellite locking under many circumstances. Once a multi-satellite lock is achieved, the accuracy is not bad.

For best results, turn off 4G and WiFi until a lock is achieved. That should occur within a few seconds. (Use the GPS Test utility to confirm the lock.) After the lock is achieved, you can turn 4G back on before trying to use whatever GPS-enabled app you want, such as Google Maps or Navigation.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Type that in the Dialer app, same place you type phone numbers... doing so will enter you in GPS Test mode, where you can find all of the GPS utilities and functions

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree, haven't had any problems with GPS since I started using GPS Status & Toolbox to occasionally cold start.
GPS status doesn't flush the cache, it is written for phoens using a different "xtra" (assistance data) cache method, so you are seeing a false positive

Reactions: rando991

sstea

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
This bug is a frustrating defect. I have set for cold start and use GPS status to reset as well. The bottom line is when I most need the GPS is usually when it fails to lock. :-( After implementing all the workarounds many times the only thing that works is a reboot. It is still shocking to me that Samsung would let this big of a defect go unaddressed.

njchris

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Changing to cold start worked at first, but it's just back to it's taking forever to lock, if at all.

I just don't understand WHY they haven't fixed this, especially since it's a problem in previous phones as well.

There are a lot of location based apps out there.

FokisMoney

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Is this supposed to work on Froyo? The dialer code didn't work for me, but it did when I was using 2.1

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
agreed, i tried it with the dialer in froyo and nothing. I didnt do it before because i was not having trouble with the gps prior to updating to froyo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tumi